Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NGD: Any top tips for falling off frets?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
NGD: Any top tips for falling off frets?
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:22:36 AM »
I've done it again, and bought another Parker!  :-\

I always figured the frets falling off thing was mostly from a short-ish period in the late 2000s, else people probably putting the wrong solvents on their neck as all the frets on my other 6 Parkers from '99 to 2014 always seem pretty solid.

I've now bought another Nitefly which had a loose fret though, and after further investigation once home got another to fall right off (to be honest is in a pretty bad state and I shouldn't have paid as much, it's had the hell played out of it, seemed to be greasy inside and out, and there's corrosion on bits of the trem, wiring, and back of the pickguard). So, anyway, I've watched a Parker vid (is that Terry?) and a Crimson guitars one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3VOvkrhzs&t=591s

So I was figuring stick it back on like Terry did with low-viscosity wicking superglue, and clamp it down. How likely am I to have to get that/those frets re-crowned and levelled though like in those videos? if it's clamped well is the thin superglue really likely to make it noticably higher than it was?

Any other tips? Anyone else done it themselves?

I can add an early Nitefly to my random Parker knowledge now too though: it's body seems noticably thicker than my 2000 SA (and this is an SSS pickup config and Maple body/Basswood neck instead of my other Niteflies mahogany necks and Swamp Ash or Mahogany bodies).  :o
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Re: NGD: Any top tips for falling off frets?

Offline resettheconsole

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »
Chances are very high that the fret itself or the frets around it will need to be leveled. I wouldn't bank on gluing it down and being able to play as is, but you may get lucky.

And yeap, the original niteflys are about twice as fat as the 'refined' models (SA, M, P, radials). Especially on the top carve.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:53 PM »
Do new frets top to bottom.  Wiguitar still has Fret wire pretty cheap

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:09:42 PM »
I have a feeling I may live to regret this...  :-\

At least I have 6 others to keep me entertained while this project is ongoing... and it'll result in another one brought back from the edge of extinction. After old shagged Niteflies I may move onto saving pandas if this works out! 8)
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline Mr303

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
I have a feeling I may live to regret this...  :-\

At least I have 6 others to keep me entertained while this project is ongoing... and it'll result in another one brought back from the edge of extinction. After old shagged Niteflies I may move onto saving pandas if this works out! 8)

Work on the Parkers, they're still makin' the Pandas.....
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline ginocatone

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 06:45:17 AM »
dove li hai trovati i tasti per la parker ?