Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mojo surgery (what madness is this..?)  (Read 4802 times)

Offline billy

Re: Mojo surgery (what madness is this..?)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
Yeah, mr ogur is doing some fine things, no sustainiac.  Thank you for the link, I hadn't heard him before.

Agree you don't necessarily need one, but when you hear what happens when there is a sustainiac, well, let's just say I'd sure want one on a fretless guitar.

https://youtu.be/aPIqEa57z8Y

There's things you can do to make fretless work better, thicker strings, metal or glass finger board, compression, etc, but imho a sustainiac probably offers the biggest bang for the buck, technique and practice aside. 
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 10:19:05 AM »
The best piece of fretless guitar I ever heard is Pat Metheny's Imaginary Day.  Amazing tune and amazing playing.
I considered getting one of those fret losers just to complete that job and have a fretless Parker. 
But in any case, if you have a chance ...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/imaginary-day/id358580882
Listen to the title track ...
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline billy

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
Yeah, great stuff. A little off topic, but maybe you can give some info on the Kahler for jb?
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »
Oh. I missed that.

Well here's my short story.  I bought a hard tail and had a pro install a Kahler in it.  It worked fine but in the end I could not bond with the guitar. 
So ... yes it can be done.  There's little routing needed and no wood addition needed if you use a hard tail and the Kahler model that sits flat.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline billy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
thanks- I'm thinking you just need a shallow pocket to achieve a flat mounting surface, and maybe to help get the string height within adjustment range of the saddles.  Should be pretty easy.
Billy

Offline jb63

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
Any new exciting developments here?

Offline billy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »
Well, let's see... since I posted this, here's what's happened:

I found out that terrible cough/cold/malaise I've had since before Christmas is most likely pertussis (whooping cough).  I can say for sure I know why its so deadly for babies.  Finally starting to feel normal.  They don't call it the 100 day cough for nothing.

I went to NAMM to verify we have a market for the vacuum tube biz I'm starting.  Looks like we do.  Did a couple of trips for my day job too.

We had a massive wind storm that knocked over trees, cut power lines, etc.  No heat/power at the house for 6 days.  Was a little worried my pipes might freeze towards the end there.

Then we got like 3 feet of snow the day after my power was restored.

More and different info than you probably wanted.  ;)  I'm actually really honored that someone is interested.

But seriously, aside from feeling really crappy, I can't do too much on this one until warmer weather, when I can fill and prime.  I do have a plan for the paint scheme, but that's going to be a surprise.  Nope, not chrome.

Meantime, I've been playing it the last few days- still plays pretty great, brought the nut down a bit, still a little high but very nice so far.  I also got black pole pieces to match the bridge pup, much better.  My ferrules arrived, so now I can drill proper holes for those.

And I've been working on making back plates, there's a bit of variation between vintages and models, not too challenging though.  Unfortunately,  the cnc router I'm using doesn't have spindle speed control atm, and 20k rpm tends to melt abs more than cut it.  That should be sorted soon, but everyone's timeline up here is still pretty messed up from the weather.

More to come soon, I promise!

Billy

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 02:22:06 PM »
Very impressive work Billy ! 

I'm still on the fence about doing a similar thing with the artist shell, though if I do I won't change the pup routes.  It had different issues that I'll post about in a different thread sometime in the future,

I'm curious what your plan for the Artist shell might be?  What different issues does it have?
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline billy

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
Thank you, fun project for sure.

I'm probably going to do the same on the artist bridge as I did here, but nothing to pup routes.

The artist had an issue with the truss rod, and at first I couldn't adjust it.

Turns out there was too much paint in the hole. Removed it and all is well now, except it's pretty banged up from poor handling as scrap.  Have an idea for paint on that one too.
Billy

Offline billy

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
Finally got to do some more work on this mojo surgery project:

Sanding/fill before priming:

I smoothed out the sharp rear corner of the horn a little bit. 

First coat of primer:

I'm not being as fussy about this as I'd normally be.  I intend it to be a player, and also my time is pretty tight at the moment.

Next steps, sanding and any minor fill work.  Then color coat for paint, and clear coat.  Then final sanding and buffing.  Then reassembly.

Just saw that I need to get my photobucket links fixed from the first post... nuts.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:21:34 PM by billy »
Billy

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 06:26:19 PM »
Nice!

What colour you going for?

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Putt

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »
It's inspiring. Lots of good ideas floated here. I'd love to see the finished project.

Offline billy

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
Nice!

What colour you going for?

B.S.

Thanks BS!  I'm leaning towards a sort of funky blue/purple.  You'll see!

It's inspiring. Lots of good ideas floated here. I'd love to see the finished project.

Thank you!  More to follow...
Billy

Offline jb63

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
STILL my favorite thread!

Offline billy

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
STILL my favorite thread!

Thanks jb- stay tuned!
Billy