Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Opinions on the P8E?  (Read 7065 times)

Offline Musicman2000

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
Opinions on the P8E?
« on: March 06, 2007, 10:55:29 AM »
OK I'm humble enough to be second... LOL
Now down to business, anyone tried the new P8E yet?

I'm in the market and the reviews appear positive for playability. Guitar Player gives it a good review.

(Would have liked to see stainless frets on these though)

My second choice will mostly be a Martin.

Paul

Trans green Nitefly mojo flame, Triaxis, G Major, Randall RT2-50, Mesa 4x12, GB GFlex 2x12, Midimate
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:02:02 AM by Musicman2000 »
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline JSanta

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1606
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:47:01 PM »
I played one in December when I was on leave and I really really like the guitar.  It just played really comfortably and just sounded great.  I can't say that I looked at the price-tag, but I was pretty much sold on it immediately.


/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha
 

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline Musicman2000

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »
Thanks Jim! I'm getting more excited. [:p]

Looks like I'll be "road-tripping" to my nearest dealer soon to check one out. While I'm there, I'll A/B compare the P8E to the P6E and post my findings.



Paul

Trans green Nitefly mojo flame, Triaxis, G Major, Randall RT2-50, Mesa 4x12, GB GFlex 2x12, Midimate
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline Ocker

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 319
    • http://www.shesayselectric.com
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:30:05 PM »
I love mine.

Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin
Only through death may one truly live!
2006 P8En
2005 Mojo Flame BCH
2000 Fly Classic *hardtail*
2003 MWC handcrafted Dragonfly W GK internal
1988 Vantage Vp850 W GK2
A myriad of accoustics
VG*8ex
GR*30
Rawda industries custom pedal board
A plethora of effects
1974 VT Twin 60
1972 VT Phasor Twin

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline 71vette

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 22
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »
My friend just got a P6E. Very nice guitar. Lovely pearl white finish. It has a great sound plugged in (the only way he plays in public). The only thing I didn't like are the tuners. For $1000.00+ they could have done better with that. IMHO
 

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline Musicman2000

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:31:13 PM »
Well... I took the time to check out both the P6E & P8E. The store had 2 P8E's Black & Tan and a P6E Red. The Black finish is much better than I imagined. The P8E clearly sounds better and much warmer than the P6. All played easily right up the neck. However, I wasn't too excited about the machine heads. (Just seemed lesser quality than the rest of the guitar. Perhaps to keep the lightness vibe) Controls were smooth but beyond the notched indents there's no real/visual reference point. Bringing in the additional pickup is pretty cool and rounds out the sounds nicely. Finishes were very nice and all were comfortable to play. All in all, I left feeling somewhat neutral. Although nothing to really knock Parker for. (I've always and still respect Parker's innovations and really wanted to like these) For the Benjaman's, the competition may have an edge.

Paul

Trans green Nitefly mojo flame, Triaxis, G Major, Randall RT2-50, Mesa 4x12, GB GFlex 2x12, Midimate
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Opinions on the P8E?

jwrooker

  • Guest
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman2000

Well... I took the time to check out both the P6E & P8E. The store had 2 P8E's Black & Tan and a P6E Red. The Black finish is much better than I imagined. The P8E clearly sounds better and much warmer than the P6. All played easily right up the neck. However, I wasn't too excited about the machine heads. (Just seemed lesser quality than the rest of the guitar. Perhaps to keep the lightness vibe) Controls were smooth but beyond the notched indents there's no real/visual reference point. Bringing in the additional pickup is pretty cool and rounds out the sounds nicely. Finishes were very nice and all were comfortable to play. All in all, I left feeling somewhat neutral. Although nothing to really knock Parker for. (I've always and still respect Parker's innovations and really wanted to like these) For the Benjaman's, the competition may have an edge.




What did you think about the guitar's acoustic tone..unplugged?  I've heard mixed reviews on that.  Some say that ti doesn't sound as good acoustically as others in it's price range.  Another even said that it doesn't sound as good as guitars half its price.  I don't mean to bash Parker here, but if you are going to go play in the acoustic arena, there are a lot of good guitars out there and you'd better bring your best game.



John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  undergoing transplant surgery
96 Fly Standard

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline Musicman2000

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 09:22:47 AM »
"What did you think about the guitar's acoustic tone..unplugged?  I've heard mixed reviews on that.  Some say that it doesn't sound as good acoustically as others in it's price range.  Another even said that it doesn't sound as good as guitars half its price."

I would have to say neither were quite as warm or woody sounding than some of Parker's competition within the same price range. I will say though that playability, comfort, finish and overall lightness would be some of Parkers favorable points. BTW Their HS cases are very nice and robust.




Paul

Trans green Nitefly mojo flame, Triaxis, G Major, Randall RT2-50, Mesa 4x12, GB GFlex 2x12, Midimate
Paul

Trans green Nitefly Mojo Flame, Kemper Profiler, Yamaha DXR10, Genz Benz Shen60, G-Flex 2x12 w/Black Shadow's

Opinions on the P8E?

jwrooker

  • Guest
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman2000

I would have to say neither were quite as warm or woody sounding than some of Parker's competition within the same price range. I will say though that playability, comfort, finish and overall lightness would be some of Parkers favorable points. BTW Their HS cases are very nice and robust.




Just to play devil's advocate a bit..all acoustics are light.  Taylor's are very playable and sound great.  In the world of acoustic guitars, it's all about how they sound.  I played a really unpretty Martin D18 with Stutzman voicing a few years ago and it was an amazing guitar.  Huge sound.  I had a D35 that could fill our entire sanctuary unamplified.  I should have bought that D18...





John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  undergoing transplant surgery
96 Fly Standard

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline davecan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 306
    • http://www.candidsounds.com
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 06:07:31 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

Just to play devil's advocate a bit..all acoustics are light.  Taylor's are very playable and sound great.  In the world of acoustic guitars, it's all about how they sound.  I played a really unpretty Martin D18 with Stutzman voicing a few years ago and it was an amazing guitar.  Huge sound.  I had a D35 that could fill our entire sanctuary unamplified.  I should have bought that D18...



Er..what's Stutzman voicing?

Dave Candido
GSP 153
Nitefly Mojo * Southern Nitefly *
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." - Plato  
www.candidsounds.com
Dave

Opinions on the P8E?

jwrooker

  • Guest
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by davecan

Er..what's Stutzman voicing?




Dave Stutzman is a local luthier and a bit of an expert on vintage guitars, especially Martins.  He goes in an carves the bracing and the guitar comes alive after he's done his magic.



John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  w/Virtual PAF's
96 Fly Standard

Opinions on the P8E?

Offline davecan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 306
    • http://www.candidsounds.com
Opinions on the P8E?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 06:59:53 PM »
Aahh! Thanks for the reply. Sounds cool. And scary too.

Dave Candido
GSP 153
Nitefly Mojo * Southern Nitefly *
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." - Plato  
www.candidsounds.com
Dave