Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to Forum! New Fly Deluxe - Odd Wiring!  (Read 2152 times)

Offline billy

Re: New to Forum! New Fly Deluxe - Odd Wiring!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »
need a trs jack with switched ground, the 9 pin will do it

the switched part of the jack makes/breaks the ground connection from battery to preamp when cord is engaged/disengaged

This might help:

http://www.parkerguitars.com/support/manuals/New%20Input%20Jack%20Modification%20On%20Old%20Parkers.pdf
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 04:22:45 PM »
Yup. Seen them on Reverb cheapest

Offline ala02c

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
Update!  I finally finished the wiring last night.  The passive pickups work and sound great.  I have only tried mono so far, need to get a stereo cable.

The piezo works but has a loud buzz when I lightly touch the strings.  This goes away if 1) I touch the metal input jack at the same time or 2) if I rest both hands on the strings.

The only thing I changed from Alex's PTP 1st gen wiring was moving the ground from the top set of contacts to the bottom set on the coil tap pot and I ran a ground from the volume pot to the tone pot. 

Here are some pictures, if anyone has suggestions or maybe a way troubleshooting that I could read up on that would be helpful!

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Sounds like you have a ground issue somewhere.

Do you get the same buzz when using only mags?

Most of your soldering looks pretty good.  There's a few joints that may be "cold,' (back of the pot, and the switches).

Double check the ground connection from the cavity to the underside of the bridge.  Also double check the piezo wiring under the bridge.

Failing all of that, you could have a bad piezo saddle, which sometimes presents as a buzz.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ala02c

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Billy, thanks for the response.  No buzz on the mags, only piezo.  Also, I checked the stereo today--works perfectly!

I will double check the solder joints, but I think you are right about something going on under the bridge.  I'll have a look at that.

Should there be a ground wire coming from the bridge or does it utilize the shield of the piezo cable?

Offline billy

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »
Great news on the stereo working. 

On the ground, off the top of my head, I'm not sure.  I think I've seen it where there's a separate wire to the cavity along with the shield, but also where the wire connects only to the shield under the bridge and doesn't go to the cavity.

Check for any debris between the saddles and the bridge too.  Sometimes that can screw up piezos.

Billy

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:26 PM »
Where did you buy the 9 pin jack?  Reverb has the cheapest price on the Internet

Offline ala02c

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
Ok, another update.  Finally everything is working!  I didn't need to change anything electronically.  I found that it was a single string (high E) that was causing the buzz when in piezo mode.  After searching the forum I found other people reporting the same issue of a particular string causing grounding noise.  I removed the old strings (the ones that were on it when I bought it) carefully lifted and cleaned under the saddle and the saddle pickup groove, installed new strings and the issue disappeared.  Amazing, it must have been a mechanical issue.

I want to thank everyone for all of the input.  Without this forum as a resource it would have been impossible for me to repair and rewire this thing.  I have learned a lot and can say this is the most difficult rewiring I have ever done and I think it turned out extremely well.

I was also thinking that maybe I would put up a new post that has all of the PTP wiring info in one thread with descriptions for each link.  While all the information is indeed on the forum, I had to search many, many times and read for hours to collect all the relevant threads I needed for my particular case.  Again thank every much everyone.  The fly is a killer instrument!

Offline Mr303

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 05:25:33 PM »
ala02c,
Nice job on the wiring.

My '97 has some "quacking" off the B string in piezo so I'm trying the cleaning and dusting trick before a replace. Glad I read the topic.

A PTP schematic can't hurt can it?

Skol!
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline billy

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Yay!  that's awesome, thanks for letting us know.  I'm pretty sure most people think I'm off my rocker when I mention debris under the saddle causing a buzz.  Wish I had gone into a little more detail, it might have saved you some time.
Billy

Offline Noodler

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 10:32:49 PM »
Which pots did you end up using?  Looks like my Mojo Singlecut is going to need a refit and replacement of the pots is on the list.  I really would like some pots that are super smooth and provide some resistance to unwanted movement.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »
Where do you find the 9 pin jack?

Offline jb63

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 05:41:28 PM »
I really would like some pots that are super smooth and provide some resistance to unwanted movement.

2nd!

Offline billy

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Where do you find the 9 pin jack?

I think it comes with the power chip? at least, it looks like the jack that was in there in op

You can find them on mouser.com though

Which pots did you end up using?  Looks like my Mojo Singlecut is going to need a refit and replacement of the pots is on the list.  I really would like some pots that are super smooth and provide some resistance to unwanted movement.

I think evh has some pots that are "looser" and also some that are "tighter."  Haven't tried them though.

If you go to mouser.com or digikey.com, you should be able to search for 250k or 500k potentiometers, sort for desired taper/brand/bushing style/length/diameter, and then check data sheets for the ones with higher torque specs.  Some go as far as listing "initial torque from rest." And you can see what kind of markup the music suppliers are adding..!

Putting an o-ring under the knob is probably easiest though. 
Billy