Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly bridge height adjustment  (Read 1344 times)

Offline J H S

Fly bridge height adjustment
« on: January 06, 2017, 09:43:14 AM »

Bridge height adjustment looks pretty straight forward on the Fly.  I think Billy is right in suggesting this to correct my string height issue, so I want to lower my bridge a bit, and since it's for my hand I'll probably do it to feel rather than specific measure.

Any tips or warnings on this?

Jim

Re: Fly bridge height adjustment

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
Just make sure you alternate between each screw after 1-2 turns.  (sort of like you do when changing a tire).  If you turn one side a lot more than the other, the bridge post can bind a little bit.

At the 12th fret, you should be close to 0.070" on the low e, and about 0.050" on the high e.  That will get you in the ball park.  I can usually go lower, but I don't like what a lower action does for my ability to grab a string and bend it.

Also, I usually capo the first fret in the event the nut is high. And I move the capo to the third fret to check the nut heights.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
Also, I usually capo the first fret in the event the nut is high. And I move the capo to the third fret to check the nut heights.

Wow. Ok, I'm doing this from now on!

Offline J H S

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
thanks Billy!

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
My pleasure.  Hope that means it worked out for you!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]