Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Supreme neck paint peeling  (Read 1092 times)

Offline shiftykey

Fly Supreme neck paint peeling
« on: January 10, 2017, 06:34:51 AM »
Hello All,

I have a nice Parker Fly and I absolutely love it. But where the neck back paint meets the fretboard, that edge (Where binding exists on some guitars), there are some paint chips. Seems about 6" or so of the paint is pretty loose from about the 1st to 7th fret, in addition to those 3 little chips.

I'm really hoping that someone may be able to recommend someone that specializes in difficult finish repairs. Especially if they've worked on Parker Fly's before and are aware of the difficulties on adhesives with carbon materials.

Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/1uM2wp2uqHBj4XuK6

https://goo.gl/photos/jftUc55XXLA2TESq8

https://goo.gl/photos/Q1Sjb4P4JWrAjkgX7

https://goo.gl/photos/ijSvM4ib5nELZLCo6

Re: Fly Supreme neck paint peeling

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
Wow!  Not sure what's going on there.  Was there some kind of impact to the neck, got dropped, etc?

Is there any sign of the fretboard lifting along that edge?

Shazrock used to be a Parker production painter and now has her own shop. 

However, the turnaround time is not quick.

From what I see and your description, unfortunately this isn't just a quick touch up job for some chipped paint. 
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
No impact, sadly. and i don't believe the fretboard is lifting. There is no note shifting etc.. i think the adhesion was just faulty.

I kept the chips, just in case. But yeah, really stinks.

Who is this person that use to work there? Do you have their contact details? I don't need a fast turnaround, honestly. I just want it fixed by an expert. Not by some local yokel type place.

Thanks so much!

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 01:37:11 PM »
Good news on the fretboard.

no affiliation, but they've done some great work others have posted on the site.  She can restore logos, side markers, serial #s, etc.  Basically back to factory specs. 

http://www.shazrockpaint.com/

I think you're right to avoid going somewhere local with this one.  The silver lining is if they need to repaint, you can pick a custom color for the backside.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
Awesome. Thank you so much for the info

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
Probably looking at over $500 and over a year wait with shazrock

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
Whoa.... over a year? I was thinking like 90 days or something, lol

Offline Noodler

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

Since you always chime in with negative comments regarding Sharon's business, I just have to ask "what exactly happened to you in dealing with Sharon that makes you feel impelled to post in every thread about using Sharon for guitar paint?"

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:06 PM »
Well i emailed them anyway. I know to look into things regardless of what one person says.

It's all good on my side.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:09:34 PM »
Well i emailed them anyway. I know to look into things regardless of what one person says.

It's all good on my side.

Shiftykey,

Let the forum know what and when you hear back from them, I'm interested since I just saw a '93 hardtail project that's affordable and for sale.

A couple years back it was a 3-4 month wait but you could hold on and not ship until a week or two before it went in for a repair estimate.

** Here's my Shazrock hint of the day
I emailed them because sometimes I hit the volume knob while playing wanting to replace the pot, Lisa suggested using a small rubber band wrapped around the post to add friction. (She said orthodontic bands work the best and I haven't sent it in yet.)
Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:14:44 PM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline alber.t

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 08:31:06 PM »
Hello, I've repared some parkers necks in the past. The neck of a PArker guitar (Fly model) are very special. It use carbon. You cold make a good work if you use black nail polish. Try to buy a good black polish. You can use black nitro too. This is my secret:
Try painting by layers. Slowly wait until each layer is dry before adding any more. You have to get the paint to protrude a little from the neck. Once it has dried and the paint stands out use this trick. Take a quality kitchen paper and wipe it a little on removing enamel without acetone.  Lightly drier the kitchen blotting paper until the layers go down . If you are careful and have talent you will look great. The best thing is that you can try as many times as you want because it is reversible. Another more professional trick but more difficult way is to use cyanoacrylate. But it is better for a professional to do it. Good luck

P.S The PArker Fly Spreme is the best guitar ever built. I love it.

Albert

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:36 PM »

Since you always chime in with negative comments regarding Sharon's business, I just have to ask "what exactly happened to you in dealing with Sharon that makes you feel impelled to post in every thread about using Sharon for guitar paint?"
just being realistic.  Sharon does amazing work and is highly recommended.  I don't have the time or money for her. That's all. No bad experience. 

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
The OP is looking for a cheap work around.  Nail Polish on the pig as it were. I had a 94 hard tail,  same issue,  it was from someone playing with finger rings on. Tore up the edge of the fretboard.  A repaint is basically the only way to get around this. $500 is probably not even realistic.  The original finish needs to be removed,  which takes time (and therefore more money) and then a fresh spray. My guess is about $1400. Unless they can spray over,  but it will still require major preparation.  It just isn't cheap. I have not seen many prices listed here on the forum as to what Sharon's work runs. Probably because most people cannot afford it. Nothing wrong with that.  I'd encourage the OP to go ahead and get the repair estimate and let everyone know what it is going to cost. Sharon and Lisa used to be fairly active here on the site,  but it's been years since they posted anything. 

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:04 AM »
I'm still waiting for a response. We'll see what happens.

Offline alber.t

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 03:36:29 AM »
The OP is looking for a cheap work around.  Nail Polish on the pig as it were. I had a 94 hard tail,  same issue,  it was from someone playing with finger rings on. Tore up the edge of the fretboard.  A repaint is basically the only way to get around this. $500 is probably not even realistic.  The original finish needs to be removed,  which takes time (and therefore more money) and then a fresh spray. My guess is about $1400. Unless they can spray over,  but it will still require major preparation.  It just isn't cheap. I have not seen many prices listed here on the forum as to what Sharon's work runs. Probably because most people cannot afford it. Nothing wrong with that.  I'd encourage the OP to go ahead and get the repair estimate and let everyone know what it is going to cost. Sharon and Lisa used to be fairly active here on the site,  but it's been years since they posted anything.

Hello TinMAchine. I think that if you use well the nail polish  adding asciugasmalto you can get great results. Besides you never take risks to spoil the guitar because everything is reversible and very cheap.