Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Supreme neck paint peeling  (Read 953 times)

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
Re: Fly Supreme neck paint peeling
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »
The OP is looking for a cheap work around.  Nail Polish on the pig as it were. I had a 94 hard tail,  same issue,  it was from someone playing with finger rings on. Tore up the edge of the fretboard.  A repaint is basically the only way to get around this. $500 is probably not even realistic.  The original finish needs to be removed,  which takes time (and therefore more money) and then a fresh spray. My guess is about $1400. Unless they can spray over,  but it will still require major preparation.  It just isn't cheap. I have not seen many prices listed here on the forum as to what Sharon's work runs. Probably because most people cannot afford it. Nothing wrong with that.  I'd encourage the OP to go ahead and get the repair estimate and let everyone know what it is going to cost. Sharon and Lisa used to be fairly active here on the site,  but it's been years since they posted anything. 

I had two jobs done by Sharron.  A complete (UL) refinish was $700.00.  A smaller handling was about $100.00.  Your prices are so off the chart as to be ridiculous and it really starts to sound like you've got some personal agenda with Sharron.   
She's in high demand because she's possibly the best.  Her work is impeccable.  That's possibly worth some wait time.

@shiftkey - just call.  Lisa or Sharron will answer and let you know price and wait time.
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »
Hello, I've repared some parkers necks in the past. The neck of a PArker guitar (Fly model) are very special. It use carbon. You cold make a good work if you use black nail polish. Try to buy a good black polish. You can use black nitro too. This is my secret:
Try painting by layers. Slowly wait until each layer is dry before adding any more. You have to get the paint to protrude a little from the neck. Once it has dried and the paint stands out use this trick. Take a quality kitchen paper and wipe it a little on removing enamel without acetone.  Lightly drier the kitchen blotting paper until the layers go down . If you are careful and have talent you will look great. The best thing is that you can try as many times as you want because it is reversible. Another more professional trick but more difficult way is to use cyanoacrylate. But it is better for a professional to do it. Good luck

P.S The PArker Fly Spreme is the best guitar ever built. I love it.

Albert

This is probably just fine for a small chip repair, but there's quite a bit of paint missing.  Unfortunately it sounds like the bond between the carbon fiber and the paint is failing along the entire neck. 

Also, nail polish is typically enamel. The finish on a fly is urethane. You won't get a great bond, and it won't harden the way urethane will, so you can't level and polish.  It could easily become a sticky mess which will be hard to remove.

As to why the paint is failing, it may be there was a cleaning step that got overlooked after the carbon was applied and baked, or maybe the baking was rushed somehow so there wasn't a full epoxy cure before paint.  (Pure speculation on my part here.)

It was nice of you to post, but IMHO, nail polish is a very temporary fix for the OP, and may even complicate a refinish later on.  I'd personally avoid it, but glad you're happy with your results.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
The OP is looking for a cheap work around.  Nail Polish on the pig as it were. I had a 94 hard tail,  same issue,  it was from someone playing with finger rings on. Tore up the edge of the fretboard.  A repaint is basically the only way to get around this. $500 is probably not even realistic.  The original finish needs to be removed,  which takes time (and therefore more money) and then a fresh spray. My guess is about $1400. Unless they can spray over,  but it will still require major preparation.  It just isn't cheap. I have not seen many prices listed here on the forum as to what Sharon's work runs. Probably because most people cannot afford it. Nothing wrong with that.  I'd encourage the OP to go ahead and get the repair estimate and let everyone know what it is going to cost. Sharon and Lisa used to be fairly active here on the site,  but it's been years since they posted anything. 

I had two jobs done by Sharron.  A complete (UL) refinish was $700.00.  A smaller handling was about $100.00.  Your prices are so off the chart as to be ridiculous and it really starts to sound like you've got some personal agenda with Sharron.   
She's in high demand because she's possibly the best.  Her work is impeccable.  That's possibly worth some wait time.

@shiftkey - just call.  Lisa or Sharron will answer and let you know price and wait time.
Patz- I've never used Sharon. I have only sung her praises based on work shown here on the forum. She may possibly be the very best for Parker work. I thank you for posting a price with your response.  Keep in mind though that the OP probably paid $1400 for the guitar,  meaning even $700 is half of what they paid originally.  Most people are probably not going to go for that. I had a natural fly that needed redone,  and was quoted $1400 from a well respected and talented local painter. Just depends on the work that needs to be done. The idea here is the OP is looking for a cheap way out. Unfortunately there is no such thing with their situation. 
I'll repeat myself again a fourth time and say that I have never dealt with Sharon and I have the utmost respect for her work.  I'd love to have her do a guitar,  but don't have the time to wait nor the funds to complete.  If you or anyone else has both time and money,  I say she is the go to painter.

Offline alber.t

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
Hello, I've repared some parkers necks in the past. The neck of a PArker guitar (Fly model) are very special. It use carbon. You cold make a good work if you use black nail polish. Try to buy a good black polish. You can use black nitro too. This is my secret:
Try painting by layers. Slowly wait until each layer is dry before adding any more. You have to get the paint to protrude a little from the neck. Once it has dried and the paint stands out use this trick. Take a quality kitchen paper and wipe it a little on removing enamel without acetone.  Lightly drier the kitchen blotting paper until the layers go down . If you are careful and have talent you will look great. The best thing is that you can try as many times as you want because it is reversible. Another more professional trick but more difficult way is to use cyanoacrylate. But it is better for a professional to do it. Good luck

P.S The PArker Fly Spreme is the best guitar ever built. I love it.

Albert

This is probably just fine for a small chip repair, but there's quite a bit of paint missing.  Unfortunately it sounds like the bond between the carbon fiber and the paint is failing along the entire neck. 

Also, nail polish is typically enamel. The finish on a fly is urethane. You won't get a great bond, and it won't harden the way urethane will, so you can't level and polish.  It could easily become a sticky mess which will be hard to remove.

As to why the paint is failing, it may be there was a cleaning step that got overlooked after the carbon was applied and baked, or maybe the baking was rushed somehow so there wasn't a full epoxy cure before paint.  (Pure speculation on my part here.)

It was nice of you to post, but IMHO, nail polish is a very temporary fix for the OP, and may even complicate a refinish later on.  I'd personally avoid it, but glad you're happy with your results.

I always mix the nail polish with a nail strengthener and create a very sturdy blend. It does not sink. And the best thing is that you do not have to sand. You adjust using remove glaze with care. I have repaired serious damage to parker neks, and painting has never gone away. Neither has sunk. Although this is a special case I think I could try. Since there are no risks and it is very cheap.

Best regards

Offline billy

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »
I would like to endorse this but unfortunately, knowing what I know about paint, I can't recommend it, especially in this case.

There's a few risks, which I described before.  The main risk is that it becomes difficult to strip, and then doesn't allow a proper bonding surface for new paint.

My experience is that mixing enamels with urethanes or lacquers ends badly, even if it seems to work initially.  I'm glad you are happy with your results though!

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Slo101

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:30 PM »
I'm still waiting for a response. We'll see what happens.

Whatever turnaround time you are quoted will probably not be accurate, so keep that in mind. Response times to emails will also be slow.

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?  The world is waiting for the definitive response from Shazrock...

Offline shiftykey

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
I'm really disappointed that nobody got back to me. I even called again two weeks ago and left another message.

I have no idea what's going on there, but i'm willing to pay a hefty sum to get this work done. It's ridiculous that nobody gets back to you.

So i then reached out to some other repair places i found on google, nobody wants to touch the thing.  SOOOO Frustrating. Particularly because the guy that sold it to me knew about it and i missed the signs it was going to peel early on.

Grrrrrr.

Offline jb63

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 03:50:41 PM »
I've found that getting some paint on these is tough, too, but you CAN always sell them, like what happened to you. I bought one for about $1400 (which cost more when I finally payed it off!) that I knew had neck-paint problems and all I had to do was find someone to make it all smooth again but it has been impossible since the custom shop closed down. I've shown it to a few guitar painters in my town, and few auto detailers and all the guitar shows. No one thinks they can make it look like parker did when it started out.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15889.msg139208.html#msg139208

But as long as you have a fretboard that is on correctly, and the peeling paint is not on the join between the fretboard and the neck, I think you can get an auto/fiberglass guy to give it a shot. You will need to remove all the electronics, first and, oh, hell...

I think be more patient with Sharon and keep trying!

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
I actually sanded mine down then used a spray can. LOTS of sanding. The nut area I messed up but will redo later. And I had to make my own fret markers. You can see where I missed a spot on the head stock. But I used lacquer because that was the only rootbeer I could find. I have tried too many times to put the picture in here, just go to the links
https://ibb.co/hgv5sv
https://ibb.co/cNaukF
https://ibb.co/hYOEkF
https://ibb.co/kyNJCv
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:47:01 PM by ZemanG2 »
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!