Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frozen Trem on pre-refined Deluxe  (Read 473 times)

Offline reentune

Frozen Trem on pre-refined Deluxe
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I'll search further, but so far haven't seen this issue:

Bought a used '95 Deluxe.
The previous owner was unaware of the tuning requirements and never locked the trem (because, as far as he was concerned, what's the point of having a trem and locking it down?).
So he was already drop-tuning it for metal and then really slacked the strings before shipping.

So I get the guitar and all else works, but the trem is stuck. I can move it with great effort, but it's obviously pressing against something—like an extreme version of "rubbing against the trem cavity." I'm assuming the spring is toast now.

I have spare springs from another '95 Deluxe.

Anyone dealt with this problem? How fuqd am I?
Is this something a good luthier (or even a reasonably intelligent player) can make right?

Re: Frozen Trem on pre-refined Deluxe

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
... the trem is stuck. I can move it with great effort, but it's obviously pressing against something—like an extreme version of "rubbing against the trem cavity."

Look carefully for any area where there's contact against something. If you can't see where the problem is, I suppose you might have a frozen pivot bearing in the bridge. That requires some disassembly, but bearings can be 'unfrozen' or replaced.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »
If you can't see where the problem is, I suppose you might have a frozen pivot bearing in the bridge. That requires some disassembly, but bearings can be 'unfrozen' or replaced.

I have a frozen bearing that I want to unfreeze and I've been too scared to pull it out, since I don't want to damage anything.
I've gotten all the way to disassembling the bridge and removing it, and now I just have an annoying problem I can't fix. Is there a trick to removing the bearings and lubricating them?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 06:56:10 PM »
I've gotten all the way to disassembling the bridge and removing it, and now I just have an annoying problem I can't fix. Is there a trick to removing the bearings and lubricating them?

Did you get this far with the disassembly ... ?

I assume you could try lubing them from there. I understand they are pressed on, so there must be a way to pull them off - but you might want to be careful about it if you don't have replacements.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline jb63

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
I got that far. I stand with screwdrivers and pliers and anything else trying to get that bearing off!

Offline Noodler

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
If the bearing is correctly sized it should just easily slide off.  I also ran into a trem issue with bearings that were not sized correctly for the pivot bar's diameter and were jammed onto the unit.  I had to resort to using a large flat blade screwdriver to pry the old bearing off.  The replacement bearings just slid right on.

I'm not sure what period of time (or run of guitars) are affected by this issue, but clearly there was a time when Parker must have had an issue with the bearing supplier(s).

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »
(Are there two threads on this?  I think I responded earlier but don't see it atm...)

To get the old bearing off, use two flat head screw drivers under the bearing, one on each side, and it should be easier to pry them off without damaging anything.  Be aware this will trash the bearing if it isn't already.

The pin will likely come out of the bridge before the bearing comes off the pin, but that's ok.  Once its out, you can put the old bearing on top of something with a hole in it (so the pin has room to come out) and then carefully tap the pin out with a hammer and nail set.

Check the hole in the bridge where the pin goes for any debris, carefully clean it out.  Replace the pin.

Make sure the new bearings are shielded, but not sealed.  The sealed ones are a bit too stiff.  Also, try not to drop them.

When installing the new bearing, press carefully on the inner course to get it onto the pin- two small flat head screwdrivers or a very small socket or nutdriver can work great here.  Don't push on the center or the outside edge- you can trash the bearing that way.  Make sure you don't press on the first bearing when installing the second too, so you need to support the edge of the bridge with a little creativity, but ideally it won't take too much force to get the new bearing on.

Don't lube the bearings, you'll just attract stuff that you can't clean out later.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]