Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drilling advice...  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Metal J

Drilling advice...
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:24 AM »
Has anyone ever drilled a hole in the top of their Fly Deluxe? I need to make a 1/2" hole for a killswitch. I'm wondering if the carbon wrap is only on the back or is it on the top too? I have a milling machine and a variety of bits but I'm not sure what would go thru the carbon fiber without fraying it. I have hss, hs-cobalt and diamond abrasive bits...as well as ballnose bits which might lessen the initial contact. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh Canada....our homes on native land.

Re: Drilling advice...

Offline Mr303

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
I'd go buy some parts made out of carbon fiber and experiment before hitting the Fly.

Another forum member just inset new pups in a Fly with a router set up but I don't recall the thread.
Try searching.
Good luck.
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline jester700

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »
The carbon fiber is only on the back. The front is just wood and finish.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:39:18 AM »
Like jester says, its only on the back, no carbon on the front, aside from fretboard.  You can still drill through the carbon without too much trouble, a fresh sharp bit is your best bet, but avoid putting holes in the carbon  if you can.

In this case, though, just like any other guitar.  Put some masking tape over the area where you plan to drill.  Center punch your hole, and then a fresh step bit in a drill press at relatively low RPM and feed rate should work just fine.  Back the bit off every so often to clear the chips but it shouldn't take long at all.  The step bit may not be deep enough to go all the way through, so you may need to drill from both sides. 

I think the thread Mr303 referred to is mine?  http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16673.msg143516.html#msg143516
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Metal J

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
Thanks.....I'll post pics soon!

Offline Mr303

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:53:35 PM »
I think the thread Mr303 referred to is mine?  http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16673.msg143516.html#msg143516

That's it, nice mod billy!

It's Friday, gonna make some noise....
Skol!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Metal J

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
I decided to go with the 1/2" high speed cobalt round nose bit and just expand the master volume hole...it was always in the way anyway. Something about the way I pick/strum always rolls it back. It looks too complicated to delete the pot altogether so it's just tucked in the cavity.

I pecked at it gently until I saw that it made it thru the finish...smooth sailing after that.

Wiring was easy enough as everything was marked on the pcb. Because the system is active, I didn't need to install another switch for the led...inserting a patch cord completes the circuit.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.😁 The switch is from a company called Tesi, for anyone intetest. They're available on ebay and Amazon. The switch definitely feels like quality with a smooth button action.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »

That's it, nice mod billy!

It's Friday, gonna make some noise....
Skol!

Thanks!  I can't wait to get back to working on it, been pretty busy and sick too.

Metalj, that came out great! 
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mr303

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
Metalj
Nice mod for the kill switch.
Could you post an open cavity picture?
I'm interested in this mod though I do like the volume control.

FYI a small rubber band or o-ring wrapped around the volume post creates enough drag to eliminate most of the dreaded volume loss while playing syndrome.
Cheers
- Mark Twain

Offline Metal J

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
Thanks guys!

When I bought the switch I had a completely different idea of how it would work. I assumed the momentary switch would be spliced in the hot line and be normally closed...when the button was depressed it would open and break the circuit. I put my meter on it to test continuity and identify the pins. Turns out it's normally open. The instructions say to attach the red to battery +, the black to any ground and the black wire with white tip to the far left pin that would be on a normal pot. Given there are 6 pins on these pots i just depressed the switch and touched each one until it killed the signal. If I'm understanding this right, it seems to be shorting the signal rather than breaking it. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong lol. Either way it works seamlessly with no noise or clicking. Maybe that's why it's done this way...to not alter the signal or ad resistance.

Here's the pic. You can see the ground on the left and the white going to the pad marked+. Didn't even need solder as there was a decent puddle already there. The third wire is tucked under the pot.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 11:57:28 PM »
Thanks!
- Mark Twain

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 09:18:14 AM »
Finally a kill switch that doesn't look like some hack job.  ;)