Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: P36 questions  (Read 871 times)

Offline deejayen

P36 questions
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:38:05 AM »
I've seen a used P36 which I quite like.  I've been trying to find out more about these guitars, but there's not much information around.  I didn't think to take too much note of the guitar's features when I was playing it either!  However, it now appears that there may be different versions, and some were made in Korea and others in Indonesia.  As far as I can tell the one I tried had the following features:

No string tree
No bare maple between the nut and the headstock
No visible truss rud adjuster at the end of the neck

Is this particular version an early or late model, and are the above features good or bad?  Where was it made?

Are the generally good guitars, or do they suffer from warped necks?  I saw a Youtube video or two where a guy had had to force a back bow out of the neck.

I think the one I tried was overpriced, but I'd like to know more about the guitars before I go back to the shop for another look at it.

Re: P36 questions

Offline jb63

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:02:27 PM »
weather dependent, I would say that if you don't have a truss rod you can adjust, and really feel comfortable about adjusting, then don't buy that guitar. I've played a p44 in a shop, but found that a used 90's nitefly or any of the indonesia PDF series were cheaper, easier to play and way more stable and adjustable. Always need to check that truss rod, though!

Offline deejayen

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
Thanks!  Does that mean the slim necks really are prone to moving?

Amazingly, I've just seen that a guitar shop local to me has a used one in their window.  That one is burgundy with a pearloid scratch plate, and I prefer the other one I saw which was natural.  However, I'll go in and have a look at it.  I think it has similar features to the natural one, so I'll see if there is a truss rod access point, or if you have to remove the scratchplate to adjust it.

Offline jb63

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:15:41 PM »
They should all have truss rods, just that they adjust differently. You might NEVER have a problem, but I live in the dessert, have to adjust twice a year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-P-36-Ash-Tele-Guitar-Only-7-Lbs-/201830423410?hash=item2efe07db72:g:yiEAAOSwCU1YrvnR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-P44-electric-guitar-made-in-korea-/232248515765?hash=item3613171cb5:g:gyYAAOSwo4pYXFcq

here are some pictures of how the rod adjusts on these models, similar to the nitefly, the adjustment wheel is at the base of the neck. When you play the one near you, you should be able to get the action you want out of it, or adjust it to work for you. Just make sure that the one you actually BUY has a working truss rod. That Ash one listed above is a great price point adjuster. Its killer guitar for the $.