Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: changing string gauge and setting up a Fly Mojo  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Palm Grease

changing string gauge and setting up a Fly Mojo
« on: March 03, 2017, 06:03:52 PM »
Hi there,

I am the proud new owner of a lovely mahogany Mojo! It's come with all the tension springs etc but it's strung with 9's, and I would like to use 11's. So should I lock the bridge up into hardtail mode, take all the strings off and then change the tension spring? Just not sure of the procedure here..

Thanks in advance!

Re: changing string gauge and setting up a Fly Mojo

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »
"So should I lock the bridge up into hardtail mode, take all the strings off and then change the tension spring?"

If you have a proper 11 gauge spring, just remove all the strings, allow the old spring to drop out, and replace it with the new spring. Then put on the new strings and go from there.

If you don't have a proper 11 gauge spring, you should think about blocking the vibrato system with a piece of strong wood, which makes it a hardtail. You do not want to have a spring in the guitar that was designed for lighter strings than you're actually using.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 06:42:11 PM »
And if you do happen to have an 11 spring, the procedure requires a bit of wrestling with the guitar the first time you do it - So set aside at least an hour for being slow and methodical with replacing and recalibrating everything. And make sure you don't put the new spring in upside-down - It's easier to do than you think.

Offline Palm Grease

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 07:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I do have the 11 spring.

So at the moment the bridge is in bend down only mode, I take it that it's safe to remove the strings like this? Which will lesson the spring allowing the new one to be installed, then new 11 strings and all should be cool with some adjusting.

Sorry to be pedantic, I don't wanna mess it up, the manual online is a little vague, to me at least.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 08:04:15 PM »
No, put it in floating mode to remove the spring.

See the last two pages of this manual (though some of the details will not exactly apply to the Mojo):

http://thesybersite.com/parker/ParkerGuitarsHandbook_1995.pdf
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Palm Grease

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 11:45:50 PM »
Thanks so much guys, sussed it out. Although it appears that some fret levelling is required so it's at the shop now anyway.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 12:46:51 PM »
I just discovered your website sybersitizen.  Wow!  It's great !

Thanks - badly neglected, but still occasionally useful I guess.

Offline Noodler

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
Thanks so much guys, sussed it out. Although it appears that some fret levelling is required so it's at the shop now anyway.

Fret leveling?  How did you determine that this was required?  I ask because if you brought your Parker to a shop that is clueless about Parker guitars you're going to run into trouble.  The stainless steel frets on a Parker are super-hardened.  It's not your "run-of-the-mill" stainless steel.  If the shop doesn't have the right tools to get the job done they're going to screw up your guitar.

Also, I've owned 7 Parkers (still currently have 5) - NONE of them have ever required a fret leveling.  Parker Flys are not your typical guitar and, as such, do not require the typical maintenance actions.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »
^ True ... Fly fret leveling is only a one in a million (well, at least several hundred) requirement and not to be undertaken lightly.

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
Both of my Flys lack the quality of fretwork present in my Vigier. I've seen competent guys level a Fly without incident - Let us know how it goes, and make sure the tech knows those frets shouldn't be considered replaceable.

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
This was bought used, right?

It's possible the previous owner used a solvent or oil on the fretboard and had some frets fall off.  Then they were not glued back on properly.  They decided to sell it and now OP realizes he's got some frets out of whack.

Comments regarding who is doing the repair are valid- the tech at your local shop might easily make it worse if they aren't familiar with flys.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]