Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lowering bridge PU in '97 deluxe  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Russ in CO

Lowering bridge PU in '97 deluxe
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »
I'm thinking about buying my recently deceased friends deluxe, but the bridge PU is way too high. I tried lowering it via the A and B strings, but it bottoms out on the bass side. Any sort of pressure from muting the strings makes the lo E string hit the pole piece/ PU and it pops through the amp.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Russ the new guy from Colorado Springs, CO!

Re: Lowering bridge PU in '97 deluxe

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:43:22 PM »
Bummer about your friend. I lost an old friend last weekend, still stunned. If you like the guitar, buy it and we'll help you get it sorted.

It might be installed so the the cable is caught underneath (more likely on treble side though), or it was intentionally shimmed somehow?

Another possibility might be that the pole piece screws used to mount it are slightly bound. You can loosen them up and then tighten them 1-2 turns alternating between them.

Maybe the threaded insert the pole piece screws into isn't in all the way on that side?

The last possibility I can think of might be a swap from dimarzio to Duncan, but the pole pieces won't align in that case. (You need to add another insert to line up with the Duncan spacing.)

Really no way to know without taking the pup out, but that's a great vintage, great way to remember your friend, and getting this problem sorted shouldn't be too hard.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Mr303

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
Hey Russ
Try to post a picture, maybe we can eyeball the cause.
1 more Parker guitar in Colorado!
Welcome
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Russ in CO

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 08:38:12 PM »
Hi Guys!
Thanks for responding!
Can I simply remove the A and B polepieces, and the PU will come out?
Then I could look in the rout and see what's up.....

PS do you have to answer the 'questions' (twelve, fender, Etc) for every post on this forum?
Cheers,
Russ

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:08:45 PM »
Hiya,

Yeah, it should come out with those two pole piece screws undone.

Other possibility..the screws actually thread into/through the bobbin itself, i.e. the bobbin can act as another "nut" so to speak. When you take the pup out, the screws will more than likely still require unscrewing from the bobbin, they won't just slide out.
So what can happen is the screw tightens onto the bobbin threads before it pulls the pup down far enough, fells like its tightened right up but there may still be room under the pup, which can happen if the pup's been taken out and the screws have been given a few turns before it got put back in again.

This is how they came from the factory. There should be a piece of rubbery stuff under the pup that acts as the sort of cushion/spring.
I've taken this stuff out and shimmed the pups with old business cards, then run a slightly larger drill bit through the bobbin to break the threads so the pups move freely on the screws. That way the pups definitely are screwed hard against the bottom shims.

Bit hard to explain...but i think it'll be obvious once you get it apart.

And yes, a '97 pre-refined is a good guitar if there's nothing wrong with the neck etc.
Be aware that the electronics are not standard either, and getting hard to replace...but there's work arounds.

Ciao

B.S.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:19:49 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Russ in CO

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »
Thanks again, I will dig in further...
The neck is fine, although the lack of position markers on the fretboard slows me down when I play while seated.
I play out a lot, and I'm interested in the guitar due to its weight. I can't lower the action to the point I want to in untill I lower the PU.

You guys are really cool, and helpful!
Russ

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »
First thing I do when I've decided to keep a Fly is use a utility knife or razor to remove the cushions glued to the bottom of the pickups, put the cushions in a sandwich bag in the case, then bottom the pickups out.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
Great point swifty- a little different than the binding I mentioned but certainly possible.  especially if the threads between pup and insert are not aligned.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]