Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Integrate Variax?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline JamieCrain

Integrate Variax?
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
Hi all,
I see many old threads from years ago about putting Variax tech into a Parker, but has anyone actually (successfully) done this? I'd love to have the various tuning combinations available especially as I run a Line 6 rig but I'd rather not have to buy a Variax guitar to do this. Although the new Shuriken does look rather nice!
Cheers, Jamie
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Re: Integrate Variax?

Offline Noodler

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:32:14 PM »
If Adrian Belew would have taken a liking to the Line 6 Variax, we probably would already have had a Parker Fly with Variax guts.

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:06:33 AM »
It was in the last Variax generation, but I recall google turning up a thread where a guy did succeed in putting a Variax in his Fly. I don't remember if he kept/had room for anything other than the Variax circuitry, though.

Slightly off-topic: I found it hilarious when I was talking to Belew and he said that he doesn't use the Variax in his old signature Flys at all, but he had several Variaxes on his studio wall. I didn't want to be rude by asking if it's just because Line 6 gave him them for free, or pointing out that the Variax implementation and R&D (including Dennis reverse-engineering Axel Ruddich's work following his suicide) drove the cost of his signature guitars into the stratosphere.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 03:11:56 AM by marcwormjim »

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 04:25:02 PM »
Whoa...

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 01:41:04 AM »
Ok, so I'm guessing this might be one of those things that is too difficult. Might be easier to buy a Variax and wrap it in carbon fibre!
Thanks for the tip marcwormjim, I'll check it out.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
Variaxes are nice, but there are alternatives: If I was just now getting into the guitar modeling game, I'd run a 13 pin-equipped Fly into an Antares ATG-1. As it is, I've got a JTV-89F and several 13-pin guitars (including two Flys) I can run into a Roland GR-55 any time I want different guitar models/tunings/instruments.

Offline Putt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »
I'm in the process (hopefully) of having this done. When I got my Variax 500 I fell in love with the electronics, so I took it to a local luther with a pre-refined Parker Classic that I had kicking around. I also sent a set of Ghost PUPs. I told him that I don't care if he disconnects the electric PUPs (might want to put a sustainiac in some day) but I did want the Variax guts in the Parker. He's evaluating the project now. In a worse case, I'll have the Variax guts installed in my P-36, but I'll miss the carbon fiber. I'll uncross my fingers when he gets back to me about the feasibility of this project.

Parker Bronze
Parker Classic Fly
Parker acoustic PA 10
Parker acoustic PA 24
Parker P-36
Parker JC-24

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:25:06 AM »
Let us know if he's insane-enough to take it on.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
Variaxes are nice, but there are alternatives: If I was just now getting into the guitar modeling game, I'd run a 13 pin-equipped Fly into an Antares ATG-1. As it is, I've got a JTV-89F and several 13-pin guitars (including two Flys) I can run into a Roland GR-55 any time I want different guitar models/tunings/instruments.

What's the latency like with the Roland? For me, this is the biggest issue. For down tuning, I currently use an EHX PitchFork which okaaay, but the latency increases significantly as you increase the interval. I really want something that gives all the tuning options with zero latency.

Putt - good luck with the project. Hopefully your guitar man is insane but if he isn't then maybe talk to an electro engineer student from a Uni, as I think this is more an electrical problem than a guitar one, other than a little bit of woodwork. Good luck!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
As far as I know, the latency with the Roland modeling is no more or less than with the Variax - Both are just hexaphonic DSP, with no MIDI conversion or anything. I'm not bothered with latency using either, but that may only be me - 99% of the time, I'm in standard.