Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shallow Stereo Jack with Ground Switch?  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Big Swifty

Re: Shallow Stereo Jack with Ground Switch?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 06:06:00 PM »

However, I did come across this, which I think will work if I understand your size constraint:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Jacks/9-lug_Stereo_Jack.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2017-03-gp&gclid=CKzi9s3t2dICFZdKDQodZ2QGAg

This looks like the standard 9 pin jack; found my Fishman Powerchip box and it comes with a jack like this. They definitely work, but i think Noodler has said it won't fit. (But if it does, that's what you want!)

Anyway, i can't see of a way of making the 1/4" switched stereo jack work neither.

What we're after is a switched jack in which the switch is electrically insulated from the plug, i.e. the plug just works has an "actuator" rather than becoming part of the circuit. I imagine the insides of those stereo endpin barrel jacks work in this manner.

Or the GraphTech Ghost board, which as you've figured must have some electronical tricks going on onboard to make the switching work in reverse, so to speak.

OR... with a little mechanical and tinkery nous, you could rig up a small momentary switch that the plug would turn on when inserted...kinda like what a certain Ken Parker did with the original pre-refined barrel jack, which i'm guessing is the solution he came up with for the same need in the days before stereo switched barrel jacks were a common item...

Anyways, best i can do Noodler, there's no obvious solution, maybe Paul Marossy might have an idea, he's been kinda quiet lately but did a bit of work a while back making external pre-amps or switching boxes or something!

Good luck, and let us know how/if you figure it!

B.S.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:12:52 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
A little bit of a head slap here.  Forgot he mentioned the 9 pin won't fit. But I understood the main issue was length, not so much diameter/ width.

The endpin style would work easily otherwise.

Just to be clearer for anyone in a similar future boat, the power chip seems to use the "split" ground sleeve power switching. The ghost seems to use a tip shunt/electronic power switching method. (Though if you are a little clever you can use the "split" ground sleeve method on the ghost instead.)

The key though is the jacks are different. Ghost uses a tip shunt jack, the power chip uses a 9 pin (which is basically a TRRS jack which I mentioned earlier.)

None of this is rocket science, except for size constraints that, as given, seem to rule out ANY available 1/4" jack except a mono or trs jack with no switching.

Now, Noodler is a smart guy and I believe him if he says the others won't fit.

But I'm also having trouble understanding why a "normal" trs jack will fit but the 9 pin won't. They are nearly the same volumetricly.

(I build stomp boxes for fun and I'm quite familiar with how the various 1/4 jacks work and where they will/won't fit. That said, I'm a lousy describer and apologies if any of my descriptions are not clear, I'm also a lazy phone typer.)

Some options, as I see them:

1. You could shave all the 9 pin plastic corners without issue
2. enlarge the jack hole in the guitar slightly
3. Some combo of 1/2
4. Make the electronics cavity a little bigger so you can rearrange things a bit and fit the end pin style.
5. Invest in custom tooling and contacts to make a switched trrs jack that will fit
6. Make it entirely passive and call it a day.

Hope none of this is offensively obvious.

Keep us posted and hope you find something soon! I'm getting tired of arguing with swifty!  ;)
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
 :)
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »
 :D :D
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Hey Nood--how yah doin?! ;)