Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Fly Deluxe piezo cutting out  (Read 1077 times)

Offline pinkflydxx

Parker Fly Deluxe piezo cutting out
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
I have a 2007 Parker Fly Deluxe.  Recently I noticed that when I play the piezo pickups with the volume knob on the highest level, and when I attack the strings fairly hard, that the piezo cuts out entirely.  This is primarily on the higher strings (D G B e), but not on the lower string (E A).

If I play the strings with a little less attack, OR if I take the volume knob down a little bit, I can attack the strings hard without the cutting out.  I am assuming that I am (for lack of a better description) "over-gaining" the piezo system.

Does anyone else experience this situation, and/or what can be done about it - if anything.  Thanks for your assistance.

Re: Parker Fly Deluxe piezo cutting out

Offline wkcchampion

• http://pregnosplatter.altervista.org
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
Hello,
first.... change the battery ;)

I recommend using 9V batteries of the best brands, such as Duracell or Energizer. Avoid using cheapo / Chinese ones.

Does the issue occur even with a new, fresh battery?
---------
Marco

My Fly bridge setup guide:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-bURNmuDq2-a0VPd3lPZldwVmc/view?usp=sharing

Pearl White 2008 Fly Mojo (Fralin PUs)
"Eldy" / Majik Blue 1995 Fly Deluxe (Gen1 PUs)
Various vintage and modern Marshall/Vox/Laney amps
Rockman + other rack stuff
Boss GT-100

Offline pinkflydxx

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 05:43:45 PM »
Yes it does.  When it first happened, I put a new battery in, however, it did not resolve the issue.

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:08:19 PM »
The original Fishman preamp boards have a trimpot for adjusting piezo gain.  I don't know much about the newer preamps, but if they have a similar adjustment, I would think that would be the first place to start?

'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
Agree, should be a trim adjustment that might be too high.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline pinkflydxx

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 12:59:54 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I look at the circuit board and found one trim pot.  I turned it down and it seemed to resolve much of the problem - but not 100% despite turning it down as low as it would allow me.  I think this is where the problem lies, but I cannot take the pot down any further.  It now exhibits this problem occasionally.  It also seems to take a little time for the problem to present itself as it will not do it immediately when I hook it up and play.  At this point, I will just keep the volume knob down from MAX a little as that seems to solve the problem.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
Recently I noticed that when I play the piezo pickups with the volume knob on the highest level, and when I attack the strings fairly hard, that the piezo cuts out entirely...  It also seems to take a little time for the problem to present itself as it will not do it immediately when I hook it up and play.

Sounds like you might have a cold solder joint or a bad wire. Either could cause a situation where electrical contact is good most of the time, but the connection temporarily 'breaks' under stress from heat or vibration. You would have to do a physical check of everything to see if that's the case.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »
A few other possibilities:

• you have a bad saddle or maybe dirt underneath them.  Try cleaning underneath them as a first step.
  • bad ground between bridge and strings as a result of the painted d'addario ball ends.  Might be that usually you get contact, but sometimes when you strum hard you don't?  If you have the painted ball ends, try a different brand and see if that helps.
  • The preamp is failing

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]