Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Steve Vai Playing a Fly  (Read 332 times)

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
Steve Vai Playing a Fly
« on: April 10, 2017, 06:57:29 PM »
I just found this on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt9niB3gOo8

Appears to be a Re-refined Artist.  If you delete the first 60 seconds where Steve is trying to figure out how to use it and having second thoughts about playing the guitar, it would make for a nice endorsement!
'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  
Mesa Amps (Express5:25, MarkV:25, Nomad45, DC-5)

Re: Steve Vai Playing a Fly

Offline bigboki

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
nice find. based on the comments this happened in 2015

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
Great video. And no bum notes despite no fret inlay markers. I sometimes get lost on the upper fretboard without the inlays, but then again, I'm not Vai and need as much help as possible!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Mr303

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:48:36 PM »
Great video. And no bum notes despite no fret inlay markers. I sometimes get lost on the upper fretboard without the inlays, but then again, I'm not Vai and need as much help as possible!

I easily notice those ovoid fret markers on the neck.
No inlay on the fingerboard is crisp and clean looking in my opinion and I play off the neck markers more than the fingerboard.
I'd like to have been in the audience.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:50:16 PM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 03:08:51 AM »

[/quote]
No inlay on the fingerboard is crisp and clean looking in my opinion and I play off the neck markers more than the fingerboard.
[/quote]

Agree it looks much better vs standards dots, but unless my eye is straight over the frets and neck markers on the fly, my brain gets confused. Mostly on the 7 string it seems, but it has a much wider neck.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
...unless my eye is straight over the frets and neck markers on the fly, my brain gets confused.

I have the same problem.  I constantly go for the wrong fret when playing higher strings because the dots don't align unless you're looking straight down.
'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:04 AM »
...unless my eye is straight over the frets and neck markers on the fly, my brain gets confused.

I have the same problem.  I constantly go for the wrong fret when playing higher strings because the dots don't align unless you're looking straight down.

You know...after all these years....you guys have just given me one of those "hey wait a minute.." type moments. I too sometimes find myself on the wrong fret up high on the top E string and have not had a reasonable explanation for it beyond "oh well, i f***ed that bit up tonight!"
I practise stuff and can play it, but sometimes come performance time....what the!
This is one of those great little insights, the difference between practising sitting down and performing standing and head/marker/fret viewing angles and not having fretboard markers....never thought about it before.
Cheers!

B.S.

94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 09:01:36 AM »
Decals.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Old Kraftsman Archtop|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
Decals.

Agree.  The best kind of decal I can imagine would extend across the full width of the neck making it obvious what fret you are on.  Also needs to be VERY thin so as not to mess up the smoothness of the fret board.  I've made custom vinyl decals but even that .003" thickness is noticeable, and they peel off under hot, sweaty conditions.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
Interesting... I wonder if Vai would also say it's like "an assault rifle".  ::)

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Interesting... I wonder if Vai would also say it's like "an assault rifle".  ::)

I see he commented how light it was. That is the exact reason I first switched to Parker. I needed a light guitar for my back and that's how I found Parker. It's one of the few brands that actually publish the weight of the guitar and it's odd that more brands don't because I think it's one of the most important attributes of playability.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:17 PM »
This video jist now hit guitarworld today. Too little too late? Publicity stunt to get the new Parker brand up and Flying (pun intended) .

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Looks like all the guitar mags are running this in the emails.  I bet he's groaning and crossing fingers that Ibanez doesn't see it.

Anyway, I thought it didn't sound great through his setup, but could have with some tweakage.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
This video jist now hit guitarworld today....

and it got about 20,000 views since.  Up to 57K views at the moment.