Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Like to get your opinion on buying this  (Read 1857 times)

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
Like to get your opinion on buying this
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
So I already have two amazing Flys, but there are so many wonderful varieties out there, and I want to try more.
Of course most people including myself don't have the luxury of "trying" lots of Parkers without buying them.
I've heard good things about the old hard tails, so I was thinking of buying this one:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/6079208789.html

Fair Price?  Any red flags?  Any advice on important things to check / questions to ask before buying?
thanks in advance.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail
05' Fly Bronze, Maple Cognac Finish

Re: Like to get your opinion on buying this

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 05:02:52 PM »
Price is average. Nobody will care who owned it before you. If it's close by, make the guy an offer of $1250. Tell him he would lose more if he listed it on ebay.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
I just bought a metallic gray '94 Fly hardtail 2 weeks ago. I really like it.
It's light 4 lbs 13 oz.
Feels a bit different than a tremolo Fly but extremely playable with warm tone but is essentially the same guitar as my '97.

That particular serial number translates to 270th day of the year (Oct 7th) 27th guitar made that day 1993 basswood poplar.

A "good condition " '93 is listed on Reverb for $1499 and it's been there a while and they dropped the price a couple weeks ago.

Fret lifting has been discussed on the forum so you might want to search for that thread
and see what the seller has to say.
I played a friends '93 hardtail and noticed slight fret lifting, particularly on the high E side fret ends, towards the body.
He offered to for trade of my '97 which I paid $1300 for three years ago.

Unless seller has a documented proof of Doobie brother ownership his claims are dubious at best adding no value to the sale.

My serial is 076044bp. Notice the lower case "bp" which is something I haven't seen before on any Fly.
Mine has some slight paint damage/scuffing that's unnoticeable, I paid $1100 with no case, or stereo cord. Original asking price was $1200. I'm in Denver Colorado for geographic reference.

Anything less than $1500 would be agreeable to me if it's perfect etc etc etc. imo.
Cheers!

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:37:35 PM »
A first year ('93) Fly like that one might be worth a premium for some buyers; but Tyran Porter isn't a big name and the connection doesn't mean anything anyway unless it can be proven somehow.

It looks to be in good shape in the photos; check it out in person carefully, open the back panel, and play it. If you like it, see if you can bargain the seller down a bit. (I assume you're local.)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline escape from gorilla city

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:51:44 PM »
Notice the lower case "bp" which is something I haven't seen before on any Fly.

Jus to to derail the thread a little, I must mention that I too have a hardtail Fly Deluxe with lowercase lettering.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »
Notice the lower case "bp" which is something I haven't seen before on any Fly.

Jus to to derail the thread a little, I must mention that I too have a hardtail Fly Deluxe with lowercase lettering.

I assumed somebody just forgot to hit the cap lock when they printed the number but it's worth mentioning. :)

The guy I bought it from told me it was his main stage guitar and he'd use a PRS LP style instead.
 He said that as I paid him and I almost blurted out, "pal, you're gonna miss this one!"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:27:04 PM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 01:05:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice Mr 303, Tin Machine and Syber. 
As it turns out, my wife is not super stoked on the idea of me buying another guitar.  She was very understanding about the last two, so I don't want to push my luck.
That, and the fact that each of my guitars gets lets attention with each new guitar purchase, is why I will not buy this one.

My dream/fantasy is to someday have the chance to line up 22 or so Parker Flys starting with a '93 hard tail redwood Deluxe all the way up to the last production year, one Fly from each year of production. They would be representative of all the models, wood types, features and finishes (except snakeskin, those creep me out).
There would be a: Deluxe, Classic, Artist, Mojo, Nylon, Bronze, Jazz;  Poplar, Mahogany, Basswood, Redwood, Spruce, Cedar, Koa, Maple, Figured Maple, etc...

Then I could "check one of them out" for two weeks at a time, like in the old days of books in library's.  Wouldn't that be cool?
Until, then I'll make sure my Classic and Artist don't feel neglected.

'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
We're probably all in the same boat. I have four VERY different guitars, the missus just doesn't understand, she thinks they're the same! A fifth is perfectly reasonable (to me).  8)
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Mr303

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
Parkerplayer....just a suggestion,

To buffer my wife's buyers remorse, I used to give her a day at the spa or take her on a long weekend away from home, simple unadulterated bribery.
 8)

- Mark Twain

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »
To buffer my wife's buyers remorse, I used to give her a day at the spa or take her on a long weekend away from home, simple unadulterated bribery.
 8)

Aaaahhhh, you are very wise Mr. 303 !  So that's how you get a 5th guitar.
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:57:56 AM »
Oh that's right the lady of the house! I'm currently trying the line, "Let me buy it and I will try and flip it since the factory is closed and I should be able to make a profit" ( in like 3-5 years!) She isn't too keen on it right now.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Easier to ask forgiveness then to ask permission?

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »
There were some new developments in this story:  My wife agreed to let me buy the guitar since we got a little extra tax return $ than we were expecting.  This morning I met up with the seller and played '93 Fly Deluxe through a Fender Deluxe (seemed appropriate).  The guitar was very clean.  I gave it a thorough inspection and found only a tiny paint scratch and a very subtle crack around one of the pots; no big deal.   Everything worked fine, except when I turned the guitar upside down, the piezo cut out.  I suspect the jack is to blame for this.  Also,the truss rod seemed to be frozen.  I didn't want to force it, and since the neck had more relief than I prefer, I decided not to buy guitar.   One thing I noticed was different than my '96 Classic was that I think the mag pickups work regardless of weather or not there's a battery installed.  Is this normal for some of the Deluxes?

'99 Fly Supreme, Honey

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 06:36:27 PM »
One thing I noticed was different than my '96 Classic was that I think the mag pickups work regardless of weather or not there's a battery installed.  Is this normal for some of the Deluxes?

Not in a stock setup with piezos. There would be no way to blend the signals.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers