Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker parts (0.09 tremolo spring) in the UK?  (Read 177 times)

Offline Tomiraccoon

Parker parts (0.09 tremolo spring) in the UK?
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:49:50 AM »
Hi guys, I hope you are all alright.

I have recently bought a Parker Fly Deluxe. It came with a 0.10 tremolo spring. I have other guitars set up with 0.09 strings, so I didn't bother to request the 0.09 spring from the seller. After having setup the guitar I proceeded to play it, and I noticed I could not use the tremolo system because the guitar goes out of tune HORRIBLY. Totally frustrated I looked for some information on this. I found a super useful guide on tremolo stability for Parker fly guitars written by this bloke Marco Pregnolato, and he suggests that one of the many reasons for tuning instability is given by the fact that the nut might not be properly filed in a manner consistent with the gauge of the strings being used.

I can be arsed to take my guitar to a luthier who's gonna charge me 40 quid or so to do some filing; I would much rather set up the guitar as they come from factory (with 0.09 strings). BUT, I don't have the 0.09 spring, I can't contact the seller anymore and I don't know where to find Parker parts in the UK.

Could any of you help me? I need either (i) somebody giving me tips to achieve tremolo stability other than filing the nut; or (ii) somebody telling me where I could get a hold of one of those 0.09 springs.

Thank you!

Re: Parker parts (0.09 tremolo spring) in the UK?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Hi there.

I think the simplest next step in your quest is to get a set of .009s and put them on. No harm will come to your guitar by using strings that are lower gauge than your spring. I've been using .008 strings with a 9 spring for many years, with very good tuning stability.

What you should avoid is using a spring that's weaker (lower gauge) than your strings. You don't want a spring to break under stress.

See how a simple string change works out, make sure you keep the nut lubricated (I use graphite powder) and let us know how that goes.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Old Kraftsman Archtop|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Tomiraccoon

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
Thank you! I will try that out and let you guys know whether it worked.

Cheers

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
And before you do anything permanent e.g. filing, see my post here.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16731.msg144027.html#msg144027

I had this issue on both my guitars.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
good advice here.  You might find the heavier spring a little "stiff" with whammy use though.

9 springs are on ebay for about $20.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Tomiraccoon

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:58:27 AM »
Hi!

So I did everything you guys told me. I changed the strings to 9-46, use some graphite powder on the nut and saddles, and followed the tuning guide I had mentioned. Now the tuning is largely more stable after using the whammy bar; it is quite noticeable and a huge improvement, so thank you so much!!!

However, sometimes, the 6th string goes back to the home position SLIGHTLY sharp; I am used to Ibanez guitars so I don't know whether it is normal to expect a bit of instability after diving and abusing the tremolo system, or there is still something not quite right.

Should I expect full blown stability or is it normal that the guitar goes slightly out of tune after using the tremolo?

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
I have found that the nut is cut very tight from the factory. I think they are cut for 9s, but they are cut tight even for 9s. I use 10s and almost always have tuning issues UNTIL my local tech spends about 20 minutes with his precision nut files loosening up the slots. After that,  no issues.   This even impacts string height at the nut.  The action is even better once he is done.,Unless you have the skills and tools, I wouldn't do nut work myself.  Really easy to screw up the playability of the guitar.

Cost should be around $25 from a reputable tech.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »
 Did you tighten screws on the tuning posts?  The tuning should be stable no matter how hard you use the whammy.  Of course, if you have new strings, don't forget to stretch the strings...
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Tomiraccoon

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »
I did tighten the screws as instructed, but not to the extreme, as it was virtually impossible to tune the guitar afterwards! I would say I tightened them adequately.

As I was changing the strings I noticed what mmmmgtr said; the nut grooves seem massively tight even for 9s. I guess I am going to wait until I have to change strings to take the guitar to my tech to get the nut a bit filed.

Thanks again for all your help guys, I highly appreciate it  :)

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
Honestly, it's worth a few dollars to get a guitar like this setup to play as best as it can. When a Parker is setup like that no other guitar can touch its playability IMHO.

Guitar setup $25-$50

Ultimate Parker playability  - PRICELESS!

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
Hi!

So I did everything you guys told me. I changed the strings to 9-46, use some graphite powder on the nut and saddles, and followed the tuning guide I had mentioned. Now the tuning is largely more stable after using the whammy bar; it is quite noticeable and a huge improvement, so thank you so much!!!

However, sometimes, the 6th string goes back to the home position SLIGHTLY sharp; I am used to Ibanez guitars so I don't know whether it is normal to expect a bit of instability after diving and abusing the tremolo system, or there is still something not quite right.

Should I expect full blown stability or is it normal that the guitar goes slightly out of tune after using the tremolo?

Thank you so much for your help!

It should be very stable, surprisingly so.

The nut is probably cut for 9-42, and you used 9-46 so that might be the reason.  Also watch that you don't have a lot of string wrapped around the posts. 

Worth getting it filed sometime soon, as mmmmgtr posted.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]