Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No More Y Cables!!!  (Read 284 times)

Offline Ccarrier

No More Y Cables!!!
« on: May 04, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »
Hi all.

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this. In fact, I've never posted on a forum, but I figured this was worth it.

When I got my first Parker, it was the first time I had ever run a guitar with a piezo system. I loved it, and still do, but I really hate having to use a Y cable. I also hated the ground loop issues that I experienced when I ran the piezo into a separate amplifier with no ground lift. (NOT a safe way to eliminate ground loop hum) So I came up with this for a solution.

Here is a link to my Reverb listing for this pedal. There are some pictures:

https://reverb.com/item/5787789-custom-built-y-iso-splitter

It's a small pedal with a TRS input. Actually it's switchable between TS and TRS. It has a direct out, and an isolated out. It uses the best passive Jensen transformer available. I use it with my Parker to run the tip, which is the passive pups, through the direct output, and into my normal guitar rig. The ring, which is the piezo signal (my Parker has Fishman saddles with a Powerchip preamp), runs through the isolation transformer, and out the isolated output. I can then run my piezos into an acoustic amp or PA. There is no ground lift needed with this setup. This allows me to just use a good quality TRS cable as my standard guitar cable.

If there is interest from the Parker community, I can make them fairly quickly.

Tell me what you guys think.

Thanks guys!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:38:58 PM by Ccarrier »

Re: No More Y Cables!!!

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
Sounds cool, I was considering doing something like this too.  I think Paul M had a similar box he came up with, fly bob or something like that.

Pictures need to be hosted elsewhere and then linked here, unfortunately.  You can get them to show in your message by clicking the mona lisa icon and pasting your link inside the brackets.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Ccarrier

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I figured someone would have done this before. I'm pretty stoked on it. I found it frustrating trying to source an affordable but high quality Y cable.

I posted a link to my Craigslist ad so pictures are available.

Thanks guys!

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »
sure thing, welcome and good luck with your sales.  Some other guitars have piezos now too, so might be worth exploring those forums too.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]