Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Action Height, how low can you go?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline Prozak

Action Height, how low can you go?
« on: April 07, 2005, 08:31:05 PM »
How low should I expect to be able to get my action without having any buzzing? I know this depends on how hard you hit it, but lets go with something arbitriary, and say a soft to medium attack?

Also, do you try to make the guitar so you hear no buzzing when its being played unplugged, or do you just test for buzzing when its plugged in?

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 10:16:33 PM »
according to the parker manual, the reccomended action is 0.07" for the low e and .05" for the high e.  to measure the action (distance from the crown of the twelth fret to the bottom of the string), hold a ruler perpendicular to the twelth fret and press the string down at the first fret.  i think the factory set up is a very comfortable setting, but if you want to set it lower, you generally can do so.  the stainless steel frets tend to buzz with more upper partials than nickel frets, so the tone may tend to be more irritating than usual.  the piezo pickups will tend to pick up all of the fret buzz, and i'm not sure of the material fishman uses, but i know that most ceramic piezos have a maximum resonance frequency of several kilohertz or more.  the magnetic pickups are far more forgiving, even more so with a little dirt from your amp.

it's difficult to answer your question specifically, but i hope that helps.  how low do you want your action?  i wouldn't reccomend taking the action any lower than what is in the manual unless you don't want to use the piezos, but in my opinion, the piezos are too important to give up [:)]

Offline Prozak

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:02:26 PM »
I think its lower than factory settings because without a capo it's a tad higher than factory settings. I'll have to find my capo and test it.

At factory settings though, should I experience any buzzing while playing unplugged?

Offline Prozak

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:04:57 PM »
Ack no edit button?

Forgot to mention. I bought this used and the action was higher than on my acoustic, so I took it to a guitar tech and asked him to lower the action and make any adjustments necessary. I'm an acoustic guy, so I really dont know how low an electric can go. He handed it back like this, but it buzzes like crazy when unplugged, and its not as bad as when its plugged in, but its still noticeable.

Offline bostjan

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 11:13:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Prozak

I think its lower than factory settings because without a capo it's a tad higher than factory settings. I'll have to find my capo and test it.

At factory settings though, should I experience any buzzing while playing unplugged?

there shouldn't be any significant fret buzz unless you pluck really hard.  have you replaced your strings?  you can simply press the first fret down with your finger and measure the action, a capo shouldn't be neccesary.

let me stress one point that you will hear from many guitar tech's:  if you make any adjustment, do so a little at a time.  this is especially the case when adjusting the bridge.  if you decide to turn the set screws, make about an eighth of a turn at a time, or less.  if you turn too far, you can mess things up royally.  [B)][:0][xx(]

your best bet is to take your guitar to an authorized repair facility.  most of the guys there are more than willing to show you how they do what they do (as long as you are a paying customer), and if you listen closely, you can save a return trip. [^]

in my experience, messing something up is easy, but getting it back the way it was before it was messed up is very difficult.  taking the guitar to someone who won't mess it up is the way to go.

-guess i just missed you because i was rambling for too long and typing too slow.  if it buzzes that much, i would raise the action up to factory settings and/or replace the strings.  if you use a different gauge than whatever was there before it will need to be set up again.  good luck!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 11:15:33 PM by bostjan »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 11:15:03 PM »
Man if you play it like your acoustic chances are it will buzz if it is set as low as I play. If you play with a light touch and use lots of sweep picking, hammer ons, and pull offs then the little buzzing you get acoustically wont mater.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline bostjan

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 11:19:29 PM »
alex,

what height do you set your action to?  i never had problems with fret buzz myself,  maybe i play too soft on acoustic?  [:)]  i think i tend to play my parker like it's an electric, even when i'm only using the piezos.

Offline Prozak

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 11:21:03 PM »
Ok I measured it again and it is right at factory settings if not just a tad bit below it. I'm measuring it with a steel ruler that has 64th inch markings.

I went to a guitar shop to have it setup, I'm assuming they know what they are doing. I'll be making a return trip tommorrow though. I'll just ask him to set it up back to factory specs.

Also, how do you find out where an authorized repair center is?

Offline bostjan

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:33:47 PM »
so it's about 3/64 on the high e and 4.5/64 on the low e?  the place you took it last time may well be an authorized repair center.  you could ask them!  is the neck straight?  did you change the strings?  old strings may beave oddly.  if the neck is straight and the strings are 0.009" and new and the action is 3/64-9/128 and it's buzzing more than you like, you should have them raise the action up.

if they just set it up for you, everything ought to be 'kosher.'  if you play harder than most, you should tell your guitar tech so that he can set the guitar up to your liking.  it is also possible that the guitar shop missed something, but i wouldn't count on it.

Offline Prozak

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 11:48:53 PM »
Well the ruler I'm using has small markings, not the easiest to see but the action is roughly at 3/64 and 4.5/64. Its pretty hard measuring in between the 64th inch marks.

I measured the relief right now at about 1/64 of an inch. I did this by fretting the first fret, and the last fret, and then measuring the height from the crown of the fret to the bottom of the high e string.

Also, I brought the guitar in with a 10 gauge and told them to put 10 gauge strings on it, and the spring plate is a 10. I haven't done anything to the guitar either. As soon as I brought it home I checked it and it was buzzing like crazy. I suppose I should of checked it there though.

Also, I'm not playing it hard, because even when I play it softly it buzzes, and the b string seem to buzz no matter what.

Offline bostjan

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:56:49 PM »
hmm.  well i'm just speculating now, but one time i got a bad b string from ernie ball.  it was dead right out of the package.  maybe you somehow got some dead strings?  i wish i could help you, but i'm stumped at this point.  anyone else?

sorry

Offline Prozak

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 12:07:52 AM »
Do you know what the proper way to measure relief is?

It's possible its a bad b string, I'm not sure how you would know though. I'll take it back tommorrow and see what they say.

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 10:22:45 AM »
OK Guys hold on to your hats here.....[:)]

The high E is right on 2/64ths (.031) and the low E is 2/64ths (.031) from the bottom of the string to the top of the 23rd fret. I run very little relief maybe .005. I measure relief at the 6th fret by pushing the string down at the first fret and the 12th fret. If the neck is done correctly the string will lay on the all the frets from the 12 through the 23 if you push down on the first and last fret.

I cut my own string nuts and they should be cut after you get the relief and string high set. Cutting the nut before setting the relief can make for a redo. If open strings are buzzing on the first fret and the relief is correct your looking at getting a new nut cut.

I do get some buzz but not enough to effect sustain or tone through an amp or to hurt the sound with my piezo which I use quit a bit.

If you want to give a listen to some cool rock/jazz playing my friend did go to my web site and follow the no day six link. He runs exactly the same guitar setup I do but is a much better player.[:I]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 10:25:20 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG