Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FreqFly? New Upper Horn?  (Read 520 times)

Offline ZemanG2

FreqFly? New Upper Horn?
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:26:11 AM »
This is more a just for fun question. I've been reading around on the web and have come across the upper horn stabbing people in the sternum or bruising ribs... for those of you who have this happen, how the heck are you holding/playing that thing?

I've sat around for 30 minutes adjusting strap, sitting, holding and I can't seem to get it to stab me or poke me. I'm not a thin guy, I have a few extra pounds, I wear a large shirt 38R jacket. So am I just holding the guitar wrong...or right?

Is that the official sign of really playing a Parker? The original Parker FR (fractured rib) or is that what the freq fly is ( fractured rib enhanced quality?)
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Re: FreqFly? New Upper Horn?

Offline TinMachine

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:35:23 AM »
I've never been bothered by it. Skinny or fat, as I've been both in Fly ownership (165-235)

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
I can tell you from my experience that the horn does in fact poke my ribs.  And I am a skinny guy.
Of all the people who I've heard say the horn is not a problem, they all have bellies, including Ken Parker.  So, I must conclude that having a little extra "padding" in the belly and/or ribs area must prevent the horn from causing discomfort.

'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  
Mesa Amps (Express5:25, MarkV:25, Nomad45, DC-5)

Online jester700

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 04:49:33 PM »
I can tell you from my experience that the horn does in fact poke my ribs.  And I am a skinny guy.
Of all the people who I've heard say the horn is not a problem, they all have bellies, including Ken Parker.  So, I must conclude that having a little extra "padding" in the belly and/or ribs area must prevent the horn from causing discomfort.
+1. I'm not skinny, per se, but I don't really have a belly, so the guitar doesn't have anything holding it away from my ribs. My Stealth pokes me, my MaxxFlies don't. I will say that for me it's worse when sitting because I sort of hunch over the guitar a little.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
Sometimes it's necessary to suffer for one's art.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
Haha suffer we must. Though I've had my Flies from 165-220 and never a problem.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:07:34 PM »
Maxxfly - no problem. Normal carved Fly shape - yes it does dig in to my ribs when sitting down. But I almost always play standing up so it's not a problem either. I'm normal size, not a lot of extra padding!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:12:03 AM »
I am on the thin side, never had an issue or noticed it being a problem.  I imagine height might play into it a bit too though.  I'm 5'9" so the horn, while sitting, is above the bottom of my sternum.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]