Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DIY Bolt on Fly Kits on eBay  (Read 361 times)

Offline TheGrail

• Lifelong guitar synth guy
    • My musical website
DIY Bolt on Fly Kits on eBay
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »
Hello,
I was just surfing on eBay and came upon this interesting chinese "kit" guitar based on the Parker body shape. Might be a fun winter project!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLO-FY-Style-DIY-Guitar-Kit-Basswood-Body-Black-Hardware-Rosewood-FB-FYK-1-/332261619089?hash=item4d5c55f591:g:I38AAOSw~XpZPu2I

Enjoy!
Roy
93 Deluxe, 97 FrankenFly, 98 Deluxe w/GK pickup, 03 Mojo

Re: DIY Bolt on Fly Kits on eBay

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 08:17:02 AM »
This must be the revival the front page is referring to.

Offline jester700

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »
Ick. That looks like it has the one thing I dislike about the fly (the horn), and none of the good stuff. It has none of the ergonomics - the contoured body routs, the trem, the ergo neck joint, steel frets. I doubt it's very light, with as much body wood that's there.

I'd love to see a REAL kit with a CNC copy of a MaxxFly or something. Even one of the import Parker quality level but unfinished. I might buy one for fun. This isn't it.

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
This must be the revival the front page is referring to.

Ha !
'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  
Mesa Amps (Express5:25, MarkV:25, Nomad45, DC-5)

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:27 AM »
They are back on, I’m tempted to get one. I have a friend who has a CNC so he could do the body contours. Then fill the trem slot and make it a hard tail, maybe even try to make it a set neck and use that wet and set carbon fiber tape down the neck for stability, though the baking process would be hard to do........maybe a heat gun?
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:28 PM »
That would be a cool project...  but the hard part is getting the surfaces into cad and then cam. Fixturing and indexing can be tricky but doable. Might be interesting to do some sculpting by hand.

Btw The oven was only needed because the carbon fiber was pre-impregnated with heat activated epoxy.  They stored it in a fridge before use. You could just get bare cf weave and use other epoxy bonding methods that brush on and use some finger joints for the neck joint.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »
I saw them. Struck me as a great way to make the worst fly ever!

I think the fly is interesting enough shape, but that’s far away from why I love them, so making a diy guitar in that shape with none of the Parker precision seems to totally miss the boat.

If you can make one good though, all credit to you. :)
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...