Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 98 fly deluxe ribbon ripped...  (Read 245 times)

Offline TimmyP

98 fly deluxe ribbon ripped...
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:16:42 PM »
A pot came loose, i twisted it too much without even noticing, and it spun the old ribbon ("flex cable") and it ripped, what would equal six wires... Can I do a trace repair on this "using" the still there ripped cable ("which would actually "repair" it), as a guide?

I do a lot of soldering work like this that is a bit harder, but never a guitar, let alone a Parker Fly deluxe...

I just want some advice like... does the entire "inside" come out? Can I remove the inside completely (or enough to work with), lay it out flat (or flat enough), trace the ripped wires, then cap those off and slide it back in?

Or should I just bring it in?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:26:01 PM by TimmyP »

Re: 98 fly deluxe ribbon ripped...

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 12:31:28 AM »
Ah yes, the old ripped flex tape thing...

Here's my fix:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,16722.msg143925.html#msg143925

However by far the easiest option, buy a new ribbon. Seller wiguitar on Ebay may have them, send him a message as he has much stock not listed. He has none of the rear flex tapes..  :'(

Or lose the ribbon and go point to point, which is a lot of wires to negotiate in a small space. Can be done though.

You can remove the flex as an assembly with volumes/switches attached, might make it easier to work on. I found the plastic pretty hard to remove without destroying the copper trace, but i was doing it  'in situ" hence used the burning technique, but laying on a hard surface and carefully cutting around and scraping may be the ticket. The copper trace is VERY thin.

Anyway, good luck, post some pics!

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
A pot came loose, i twisted it too much without even noticing, and it spun the old ribbon ("flex cable") and it ripped, what would equal six wires... Can I do a trace repair on this "using" the still there ripped cable ("which would actually "repair" it), as a guide?

I do a lot of soldering work like this that is a bit harder, but never a guitar, let alone a Parker Fly deluxe...

I just want some advice like... does the entire "inside" come out? Can I remove the inside completely (or enough to work with), lay it out flat (or flat enough), trace the ripped wires, then cap those off and slide it back in?

Or should I just bring it in?

There is nobody to bring it in to.  But yes, the insides come out rather easily and the ribbon can be repaired.  It's a PITA though.  Good luck!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II