Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker PM20 Bubinga Top Limited Run Question  (Read 730 times)

Offline Tokugawa

Parker PM20 Bubinga Top Limited Run Question
« on: July 17, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »
Greetings all. So I found through a website that the Parker I just bought is actually a Parker PM20 Bubinga Top Limited Run. Who knows more about these and can hopefully share with me more information about them please. 

Re: Parker PM20 Bubinga Top Limited Run Question

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:28:45 AM »
What does limited run mean? The Bubinga PM-20 is described in detail in Parker literature from 2005 to 2009. You can get some of the catalogs here:

http://www.parkerguitars.com/support/catalogs/
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Tokugawa

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:42:32 AM »
I have no idea. I found the description on Reverb. Maybe it's the color of the Bubinga?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline jjozwia

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 06:21:16 PM »
Arn't all Parkers these days part of a limited run?  Okay, that was really bad ;)

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
Bubinga is the wood and its grain pattern. It's a limited run in the sense they only made them for a few years. It was not a special run.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
Arn't all Parkers these days part of a limited run?  Okay, that was really bad ;)

No, that was good...funny !
'96 Fly Classic, Cherry Red          '09 Artist, Custom Hard Tail          MIJ Strat           PRS Custom 22  
Mesa Amps (Express5:25, MarkV:25, Nomad45, DC-5)

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »
I have a 2005 Red Bubinga top PM20 that I bought in 2009.
American Music confirmed to me that it was indeed a limited production run. However they did not indicate the quantity.
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
Corrected I stand. Honestly with as many as there were and still are on the market they don't seem that limited. Or by limited do they mean a production for a year only?

Offline Barry

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:42 AM »
Yeah, "limited" could mean several things.
I guess we'll never really know how many were made but it's safe to say it's fewer than the standard solid colour production runs which were the norm.

I love a solid mahogany guitar, but when you cap it with a harder wood it does add another dimension to the sound. Gibson has done this of course with some Les Paul models forever. Works here too, really love mine.

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:09:01 AM »
I had a PM24 and a PM20 Pro, I regret selling them, especially the way the sales went down. They just had a "feel" when you picked them up.

Offline ooglybong

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 12:20:42 AM »
Back when the Limited Run Mappa Burl PM-20s were released back in 2005, there were four colors available (trans red, trans sunburst, trans brown, and natural). According to my (authorized) Parker dealer at the time, these Korean PM-20s were built in four runs of 100 each color. Therefore, to the very best of my knowledge, there are apparently only 400 of the Limited Runs out there in the wild, altogether. So I'd call that a pretty rare guitar.

Meanwhile, my dealer managed to get all four colors into his shop as soon as they were available, and I took a couple of hours one afternoon to play them all, attempting to find the best playing and sounding guitar. However, in the end, they were each SO remarkably close that I simply picked the sunburst one as my (only slightly) favorite color. And I still have it. It's a great guitar, still stock.

FWIW, I later bought one of the Indonesian Bubinga PM-20s online (3+3 headstock -vs- my Korean 6-sided one) since I liked my sunburst so much. Unfortunately, the neck was really screwed up (never quite able to be adjusted per my tastes) and the electronics were wonky, with the Volume controls seemingly always on 10 (nearly always full gain-sounding) and the Tone controls also doing rather little, IMO. I sold that bubinga one; maybe I just got a lemon, because I've read of guys really liking the bubingas, and I've had a few other Indonesian guitars, each one superb. The bubingas, AFAIK, were not a limited run version, at least not anywhere like the rare Mappa Burl ones.

Here's a neat little graphic I downloaded years ago. (Click to expand.) It's kinda small (sorry) but, by counting the eleven colors shown, the Mappa Burl ones are numbers 1, 5, 7 and 11 (from the left, ignoring the "bookend" rear shots). And I'm pretty sure the bubinga model is #9.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:22:10 PM by ooglybong »

Offline ooglybong

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 12:34:04 AM »
Fun stuff. I'll share a bit more info I have on the Limited Run Mappa Burl PM-20. A while ago (2011?), I came across the following information posted at an Australian site (so ya got me how their dollars translate to USD). Long since sold. Anyway, I'll just paste the write-up here...

"Parker PM20 - limited edition Mappa Burl

Introducing the Just Guitars SPECIAL OF THE MONTH 

Our first Special of the Month is the Parker PM20, in stunning Mappa Burl. A Limited Edition model from 2005, this guitar is BRAND NEW old stock, one of only 100 that Parker made in this amazing carved Honeyburst Mappa Burl. From the Italian Black Poplar, Mappa Burl you’ll usually only find the timber in such prestigious locations as the dashboards of Rolls Royce and Jaguar cars, and in the paneling of private jets, aircraft first class sections and luxury boats. The PM20 features obvious Parker styling, in what was the first new design since the famous Fly models. The PM20 is superbly comfortable to play, and its list of features is incredibly impressive. 

A solid, one-piece carved mahogany body, with the Mappa Burl top, the PM20 has a striking string-thru design, magnetic Volume and Tone controls, with push/pull coil-tap available to both pickups. The pickups are a pair of Ken Parker’s own custom-wound Stinger Alnico humbuckers – one of the finest pickups available anywhere on a production model guitar. You also get Grover high ratio (18:1) tuners, a polycarbonate nut, and a 25.5” scale maple neck, (set-neck, not bolt-on), topped with a genuine Ebony fretboard! The neck is thin, and it’s blindingly fast. 

The combination of innovative Parker design, plus the 2 coil-tap humbuckers allow you to dial in just about any tone you want; Chilli Peppers to Buck Owens, Lee Ritenour to the Stones, Nine Inch Nails to Pink Floyd – this one axe has 'em all covered. The PM20 isn't just the best value guitar in the entire Parker range, it's one of the most incredible guitars on the planet! 

With only 100 of these stunning guitars in existence, to the best of our knowledge none ever made it into Australia, and there are now none available anywhere new, in the world. 

It was priced at $1730, but as the first of our monthly specials, first in gets it for just $1230!!!! 

Ships in its original neck-reinforced, deluxe padded Parker gig bag
Price: AUD$1230.00 GST Included

From www.justguitars.com.au
From JustGuitarsAustralia"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:36:17 AM by ooglybong »

Offline Barry

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
Hey thanks for that write up ooglybong, very informative! If correct, a 100 piece run per colour is indeed quite rare for a production guitar.
I changed the Stingers for some GFS Fat Pats. They sound pretty good with a bit more output but I'm thinking now I might restore everything to spec.

Offline ooglybong

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
Quite rare indeed, and using a pretty rare wood to start with, so no wonder they were limited to only 100 each of the four colors. (And I just added a photo of mine as my avatar.)

BTW, Barry, the PM-20s are made of mahogany, either one or two piece (from what little I've seen online, the Mappa Burl ones are spec'ed as being a one-piece body and the regular model as two-piece 'hog). But there's not really a Les Paul-ish maple cap beneath that pretty, thin veneer—even though it might look like that via some creative taping when the stain went on—and the veneer really offers little to nothing in the way of contributing to the tone, being primarily cosmetic in nature. No matter though 'cuz my PM-20 can still get to a nice, fat, rounded-but-biting tone anyway since, apparently, the Parker folks designed a great guitar capable of LP-ish tones using "only" the mahogany. Nice! (And some LP models were/are also entirely mahogany, too.)  8)

Yeah, I've heard really good things about GFS pickups over time, and I love that they offer so many models and nuances between them. My guitar still has the stock Stinger PUs, and IMO, they sound really great, too (in fact, I played it for over an hour just the other night), so if you were possibly considering going back to stock, I doubt you'd be sorry. Good luck there!  :)