Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High e string easily falls of edge of neck  (Read 231 times)

Offline zygmunt

High e string easily falls of edge of neck
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:42 AM »
Hi all, I bought my first Parker guitar a few months ago, a Fly Mojo 2006  :)

Everything is perfect except one little thing that I have noticed...The high e string doesn't seem to have quite enough space on the neck, so that when I apply slight vibrato to most notes on that string it will fall off the edge of the neck.

Does this sound like a setup issue? What adjustment would be required? Or is it perhaps a known Parker quirk? I am used to a tele with a wide neck.

Thanks!

Re: High e string easily falls of edge of neck

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
The Fly bridge is designed to maintain correct string spacing and positioning. Sounds like your entire bridge must be offset toward the treble side of the neck. A clear photo from directly above showing everything from the last few frets to the back end of the bridge would help to confirm what's going on.

Here's how proper alignment of neck, pickups, bridge, and strings should look:

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline zygmunt

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »
Hi, thanks so much for the quick response. I can already see now that it is off centre after reading your comment. Here are three pics. Is this an easy fix? Or a job for a technician?

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:06:38 AM by zygmunt »

Offline zygmunt

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Having trouble getting the photos to show up. Here's a link to view them outside of the post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9j8cprcd970wqn2/AAChMD49J1QNgQYW0EC4HN7ua?dl=0

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Yours does look very slightly shifted toward the high end. Seems like the position of the rout for the bridge is a tad off.

I'm not sure what can be done about that. I guess you could try loosening the strings and nudging the bridge over the other way to see if moves at all - but then it will no longer be centered in its rout and will be contacting wood on the low end.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
You could have a new nut cut that attempts to compensate by moving the high E over a little. Probably best to shift all the strings a bit, should have a bit of room on the low E side if the bridge is indeed shifted. A luthier could tell you if it would help.  would probably cost about $50.

Offline ZemanG2

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
What does the nut look like?. I'm going with a second to the could be a solution with the nut. Hopping for good news there:)
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 05:17:28 PM »
It probably won't completely fix the issue,  but could improve it and maybe mostly fix it.  Again,  without an in-person inspection, hard to say definitively.  Best to have it looked at by a competent tech,  or a luthier.

Offline zygmunt

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:01:09 AM »
Thanks all for the opinions! Do you think this is a job for a Parker experienced tech, or any good Luthier?

There are some pics of the nut at this link now:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9j8cprcd970wqn2/AAChMD49J1QNgQYW0EC4HN7ua?dl=0

Would be good to get your thoughts on that!

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »
Looks like the bridge is slightly biased off center, towards the treble side, meaning less space between the fretboard edge and the high e string. 

If you look at the gap between the bridge post and the bridge, you can see a little bit of the bearing on the bass side, none on the treble side.

Is it possible to shift the bridge back towards the bass side by hand?  Or is it hitting wood?

It's hard to tell from the angle, but it also seems like there is little or no gap between the body and the bridge at the bottom of the bass side.

If it moves freely back towards center, then it's possible to add an o-ring as a shim between the bridge post bearing and the post on the high e side, to prevent the bridge from shifting side to side.  It's not hard to install, but you need a "quad" o-ring (with a square cross section).  There's a post a while back about these o rings, which should turn up in a search.

Here's that post:  http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,12286.msg111324.html#msg111324

If the bridge can't move freely because it's hitting wood, like I suspect from the picture, then you need to carefully remove a little wood where it interferes with the bridge.  Then recheck the bridge for side to side play and address as above.

Most luthiers or techs aren't familiar with the parker bridge, so I'd be very careful about having someone else do this work for you.  It's about 5 mins with a dremel, but it would require taking the bridge out.  (Not hard to do, but easy for someone who works on guitars all day to make some bad assumptions.)

As for the nut, it looks like it could shift slightly to the bass side also, but it should be possible to carefully tap it loose and reglue.  A luthier should be able to do this for you but also pretty easy diy.

I'd check for side to side play and interference on the bridge first, and the nut can probably stay as is.

All in all, the high e string doesn't seem that close to the edge, but that said, a small change can sometimes make a big difference.  FWIW, it might be worth checking your technique too, if you haven't been playing long.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:45:31 PM by billy »
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 11:01:28 PM »
I had the same thing on one of my refined guitars.
Remove or losses the strings.  The bridge will most likely be lose and able to move freely on its bearing right and left.  Just nudge it towards the bass side and restring.  I had to do this every time I strung the guitar.  A PITA and one of the reasons I became somewhat disenchanted with the refined models and reverted to pre-refined.
It should take you all of 5 minutes to loosen the strings enough to move the bridge.
Check it out and report back!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:43 AM »
Well, i got no more to add as far as the bridge alignment, nor the nut really, (although shimming the bridge over a little is going to do a whole lot more than moving the nut i reckon) however...

Just looking at the nut/headstock pic..best practise is to have less than one wrap around a machine head post, i.e. pull the string through tightish, lock it in, and tune it up. With less than one full wrap around the headstock.
So you can whammy to your hearts content without the wrap loosening and re-tightening on itself, makes for a much better tuning stability.

FWIW, when i first got my Fly i had the same issue, pulling the top E off the fretboard by mistake, just took some practise to adapt to different string spacing etc.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline zygmunt

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses. There seem to be a few options at hand. I will definitely look at my technique as the Parker is new and I don't play nearly as much as I used to.

I had the same thing on one of my refined guitars.
Remove or losses the strings.  The bridge will most likely be lose and able to move freely on its bearing right and left.  Just nudge it towards the bass side and restring.  I had to do this every time I strung the guitar.  A PITA and one of the reasons I became somewhat disenchanted with the refined models and reverted to pre-refined.
It should take you all of 5 minutes to loosen the strings enough to move the bridge.
Check it out and report back!

I just tried this as it seemed an easy test, the bridge was completely locked in place, even with the strings super loose. Would I need to touch any of the screws at the back? Hesitant to do so as I don't know what I'm doing.

All in all, it's something I can put up with in the short term, and might be a job for a tech or luthier in the long term.

Thanks everyone.

Offline zygmunt

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
Well, i got no more to add as far as the bridge alignment, nor the nut really, (although shimming the bridge over a little is going to do a whole lot more than moving the nut i reckon) however...

Just looking at the nut/headstock pic..best practise is to have less than one wrap around a machine head post, i.e. pull the string through tightish, lock it in, and tune it up. With less than one full wrap around the headstock.
So you can whammy to your hearts content without the wrap loosening and re-tightening on itself, makes for a much better tuning stability.

FWIW, when i first got my Fly i had the same issue, pulling the top E off the fretboard by mistake, just took some practise to adapt to different string spacing etc.

thanks for the tip! Will do this next time!

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 12:06:51 PM »
You didn't mention if the bridge is hitting wood- that might be why its off center and won't move.

+1 on swifty's comment about string windings.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]