Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crackling Issue  (Read 380 times)

Offline ThisIsMyUserName

Crackling Issue
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:02:10 PM »
I've got a (GORGEOUS) Fly Mojo Flame that's working perfectly, but one switch setting (bottom switch all the way up) that gives me crackling and cutting out. I know basically nothing about electronics, so I figure it could be anything from dust in the electronics to something significant. I'm going to take it to my local repair guy, but he doesn't have much experience with Parkers, so I'd appreciate advice or thoughts on what it might be so I don't get taken for a ride. Hoping it's an easy fix...

Re: Crackling Issue

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 03:27:28 PM »
First thing I do is clean the switch using Deoxit (or similar type of electrical contact cleaner).
In my experience, this works 1/2 the time.  For the other 1/2 of the time, replace the switch. Since the Mojo has wires (versus ribbon cable) the replacement is straightforward.  Any guitar tech should be able to do it.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:50:17 PM »
Hi, all four switches on my two parkers have failed. Serious quality issue IMO. I'm not a rough player, the switches just aren't fit for purpose and when Parker relaunches they would be advised to change the component for something better.
The crackling and lack of sound is caused by one half of the switch's metal layers slowly bend out of shape meaning they are either making contact or not making contact when they should. I have fixed two of mine, and replaced the others. Both methods involve unsoldering and resoldering. The bad news is that they will probably fail again.
Last tip, for all your switches, make sure they are rotated into a position where your natural hand movement when switching is aligned perfectly with the direction of the switch movement. If not, then when you switch you will be placing slight sideways pressure on the switch arm which I believe contributes to the problem of early failure.
Cheers, Jamie
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
Iirc, they were modifying switches by bending tabs to get the configuration they needed. Other switches that had the right config were either too big, too small, or too expensive but cheaply made.  I'd check for a bent tab/contact first.

Good luck!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]