Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: String cleaner safe?  (Read 242 times)

Offline JamieCrain

String cleaner safe?
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:49:38 AM »
Hi folks,
Thoughts on using Ernie Ball String Cleaner (wonder wipes) on Fly fretboards? The wipes work great on my other guitars, brings the strings back from the dead.

The solution looks and feels remarkably similar to the instrument polish. Slightly pink and fruity smell, seems harmless!

Safe to use near the frets?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Re: String cleaner safe?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:11:38 AM »
I wouldn't do it. The official word from Parker has always been no:

'You can clean the fretboard with warm water on a soft cloth making sure to remove any dirt or sweat that may have built up around the frets. Parker Guitars does not recommend using oils, waxes, or solvents on the fretboard. Using such products can damage the frets and will void the warranty.'
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
Anything that has a solvent in it can dissolve the glue holding the frets on... and they can potentially fall off the guitar or get loose/move.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:48 PM »
Ok thanks but surely detergent based products are safe?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
Well personally i wouldn't, as there's no telling what's actually in these things.

And of course we're not talking the frets popping off the next day, it's more of a long term exposure thing, possibly becoming apparent many years down the track...

However i guess if there is absolutely no solvents or things that could effect the glue, then sure, wipe away!

Here's an interesting link to do with super-glue and how to get it off yourself i just found googling what actually does dissolve it (acetone as it turns out)

Check it, down the bottom:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=removingsuperglue.html

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:26:13 PM »
Parker's recommended approach works fine for me.

Is there really something on someone's carbon/epoxy fretboard or stainless steel frets that can't be cleaned well enough with just water and a soft cloth?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:39:19 PM »
To clarify, I'm not using the wipes on the fretboard itself, just the strings. It's inevitable though that some of the fluid will end up there. The EB Wonder wipes work brilliantly on my other guitars' strings, so much better than water alone. Would be good to use on all my guitars.

How about I ask EB to tell me what the String Cleaner is made of? Then we'll know.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Damp micro fiber cloth works great for me.

Fwiw, oils and alcohols don't dissolve the glue as much as weaken the bond over time, most likely to the fret.  Heat will help accelerate that process. Acetone does indeed dissolve the glue. (And many paints too.)

Just something to think about during a repair.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]