Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scratch on Fly fretboard  (Read 329 times)

Offline SilverSN95

Scratch on Fly fretboard
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:26:40 AM »
Hello All,

After happily owning a p44-pro for the last 7ish years I finally found a deal on a beautiful '98 Fly Deluxe that was delivered yesterday. The guitar was packed extremely well and wrapped tightly because it did not ship with a case. Unfortunately because I am an idiot I accidentally created a 1/3" scratch on the fret-board while removing the tape and packaging material  :-[. The scratch isn't terrible however it is deep enough to be faintly perceptible when bending the string across it (which kills me because the rest of the fret-board is flawless).

Is this something that can be DIY repaired using a tiny amount of epoxy or some other filler without risking more damage? I've searched the forum and found some threads that seemed somewhat related, but most of the pictures are gone and it is hard to tell if they reference the same issue. I would appreciate any help and advice you could give.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: Scratch on Fly fretboard

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:54 PM »
Oh dude, ouch!

Other possibilities: Super/crazy glue "drop fill" technique, with a bit of cut and polishing, should be able to get it good as new...if you know what you're doing...

Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

Or take it to a professional repairer, probably not a luthier but someone who works with carbon fibre...given how popular carbon fibre bikes are nowadays, must be people out there that repair them..or high end cars maybe..

Or maybe you can just polish it out.

Be sure to keep any solvents away from the frets!

And post a pic!

B.S.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:45:21 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:31 PM »
Congrats, and bummer. I'd go with the approach in big swifty's video link, you probably won't need the polish and rubbing compound though.  Keep anything with a solvent or oil away from the frets. 12000 paper should work just fine.

I'd use super glue. It dries fast and hard, sands nicely and should last a long time. You can try a sharpie in the scratch first and wipe off the excess. Then fill.

I'd avoid epoxy simply because there's so many varieties and not all of them act the same way.  The easy to buy stuff and putties don't really harden, and are more likely to smear and make a mess.

Sounds like a small scratch so that's good. You goal should really be to fill the scratch and level the fill so you don't feel it and it doesn't get bigger or wider. Gravy if you can't really see it when you're done.

Good luck!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline SilverSN95

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I think the glue fill is what I am looking for. I'll try to get a picture tonight and post it - I'm pretty sure the cut went into the composite material but maybe it is more on the surface and can be mostly polished out. Its barely noticeable but yes the biggest concern would be it getting bigger/worse over time.

Offline Mr303

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I think the glue fill is what I am looking for. I'll try to get a picture tonight and post it - I'm pretty sure the cut went into the composite material but maybe it is more on the surface and can be mostly polished out. Its barely noticeable but yes the biggest concern would be it getting bigger/worse over time.

From my experience,
It's probably been mentioned but worth reiterating, apply super glue in small amounts letting the glue cure fully before adding another layer.
Don't be in a rush to infill, use needles or toothpicks to flow the glue into low spots.
I've found that multiple thin layers yield better results, and work in a well lighted area.
When you think it looks "right" don't touch it again.
That my 2 cents worth.......
Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:46:21 AM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:09:25 PM »
Well said, mr 303!

Post some pix when you're done!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline SilverSN95

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »
Here's a picture of the scratch:
https://imgur.com/a/HY078

Following something like described in that video, I think a tiny dab of glue and some polishing should take care of the fret-board scratch. After playing with the guitar some more, what I am feeling through the string is actually the mark across the fret (no idea how I managed to put a mark in the steel). I'm guessing repairing that is a bit more complicated? Would a typical guitar tech be able to smooth out that mark on a steel fret?

fly: https://imgur.com/a/JTC9r  :)

Offline Mr303

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 11:37:29 AM »
IMHO the scratch isn't worth worrying about because it's not into the first CF layer.

Try using a dry eraser for a pen on the fret to polish it up.
Ink erasers are a bit more abrasive than pencil erasers but both may work.
I blue tape off the fret board to ensure I don't rub it when polishing.
A dab of auto polish on the erasers might help too but watch out for the solvents  getting under the fret or tape.
Again just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers!
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 05:04:39 PM »
Yep forget the CF, I'd just polish out the fret. If you carefully tape up the fretboard leaving the fret exposed, a very fine emery cloth will probably do the trick just enough to round the edges of the scratch.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Nice guitar!

Yep, what they all said...

I use one of those nail buffer/shiner stick things you can get in the supermarket every few string changes or so, just helps keep the frets shiny and smooth.

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop/2016/11/03/70/diane-oreo-nail-file-blue-80-180-50-count-948-nail-file-nail-art-buffer-nail-buffer-nail-block-shiner-shining-gently-gri_29318470.jpeg

Works great, covers the fret nicely etc, basically emery on a spongy stick.

So yeah, tape around the fret, that blue painters tape is best, and polish the fret a bit.

I would suggest not getting too carried away lest you end up with a low point and further fret troubles etc

Could try the same thing with the actual fingerboard, a light polish may well be enough. I wouldn't worry about trying to fill it as it is v small and v close to the fret, which is going to make finishing it off tricky.

Cheers

B.S.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:48:14 PM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 08:52:58 PM »
Agree, the fretboard is probably ok. Agree with big swifty on the fret. A wool polishing pad, some rouge and a dremel should polish it up. too.
Billy