Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: fret wire - USA Nitefly  (Read 1875 times)

Offline ferenc

fret wire - USA Nitefly
« on: October 20, 2017, 06:06:53 AM »
Hi all,

i decided to start a new topic, not continue the old one. I am a long time pleyer, have had and still own my share of guitars (currently a G SG, F Usa standard strat, Yamaha ls6).

And now I took a USA Nitefly (SSH, two tone burst) off someone for dirt cheap. Always loved Parkers, now I have it!

One problem. Two frets missing. Glue came off, frets nowhere to be found. What I need is

a) two blank frets (new, used?)
b) advice if the ebay fretwire someone is selling is the real-deal SS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-UNCUT-FRET-WIRE-FOR-PARKER-USA-GUITARS-for-CARBON-FIBER-NECK-/172918768870

Sooo, can please some give me some instructions on how to deal with this. I know my share of basic set up, have a house and so on, but for this, it's going to the luthier! I just need frets.

(I am in Europe, Slovenia).

Best,

Blaž

Re: fret wire - USA Nitefly

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 06:13:58 AM »
That fretwork is the “real deal”, but i think it’s for flies, not niteflies. As far as I know all niteflies (certainly my few), and the later flies (no idea from when but at some point after my 2004, and before my 2014), use more jumbo fret wire.

Let me know if you find any!
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline ferenc

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
I don't mind replacing them all, size is not an issue for me (jumbo or medium): will they fit (same "threads" on neck)?

One more thing: anyone tried improvising: normal frets, cutting the lower thingie off, lowering them, just gluing them on? I don't care about the details, just that it plays.

b

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
Sooo, can please some give me some instructions on how to deal with this. I know my share of basic set up, have a house and so on, but for this, it's going to the luthier! I just need frets.

Make sure your luthier knows about these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ3VOvkrhzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMD39WKOuKo
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »

One more thing: anyone tried improvising: normal frets, cutting the lower thingie off, lowering them, just gluing them on? I don't care about the details, just that it plays.

b

Worth a shot, esp if you can get stainless fret wire. Let us know how it works out.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ferenc

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »
ok,

i ordered the fretwire I posted, I expect to have it all resolved in 1 month.

f

Offline ferenc

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 06:11:14 AM »
OK,

the guitar is fixed. Refretted, nut slotted etc. All in all it cost 180 euros, approx 150 US dollars.

The Crimson guitar video was weird, because super glue was not adhesive in our case. In the end the luthier went with epoxy bonding agent. I was kinda passive onlooker.

The guitar plays like a dream, I got it for 200e, so all in all it cost me 380 euros, 350 US. It is really hot, but at the same time quacky like a strat. Love it far more than my Gibson SG (except for super clean funk) or my F USA standard strat (which is better for bluesy stuff), but the nitefly can really do it all including mellow jazz, and the neck is the best of all three. The tremolo system is amazingly stable, cannot really believe F cannot fix their strats to sth like this, nitefly actually stays in tune!

Anyway - if someone in the EU needs frewire, I have it, for 2 more niteflys of flys (a bit wider frets).

f

Offline ferenc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 06:13:38 AM »
Oh,

I forgot, it is also my first di marzio experience and I freakin' love them. If you ask me, way more characted than SDs.

f

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 10:16:17 AM »
Refretted, nut slotted etc. All in all it cost 180 euros, approx 150 US dollars.

The guitar plays like a dream, I got it for 200e, so all in all it cost me 380 euros, 350 US.

Your currency conversion was backwards:

180 euros = $225
200 euros = $250
380 euros = $475

Still a very good price, of course.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline ferenc

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:54 PM »
OH... yes, offcourse, my bad.

I could've done it way cheaper, refretted myself, but I needed a luthier for fret radius allignment.

I am just back from band practice, very nice neck and 2nd position tones, cuts through it all (F amp)

f

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
great news, Blaz,love to hear it worked out for you! 

Personally not a fan of the crimson guitars method here, he seemingly didn't do any research about how/why the frets are attached this way, and I'm surprised he didn't route slots in for tangs before leveling everything with a file.  That said, he did manage to extend the life of the guitar, but I'm sure it wasn't cheap.

For reference, the type of superglue can make a big difference, as well as the relative humidity, the use of glass beads, cleaning the fretwire, etc per the parker factory video.  That said there are some great epoxies available today too, but to others looking for an adhesive, your average hardware store variety of superglue or epoxy probably isn't a great choice.  I think there was also a pdf document somewhere about repairing parker frets that listed all the materials, including specific glues, cleaners, etc.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
Billy

Offline ferenc

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:50 AM »
I can confirm, that the Parker pdf is more or less the same thing me and my luthier did with the exception that I am positive we used 2-compound epoxy glue of some sort. I have no idea what the glue in the pdf is.

After all this time, The Nitefly works like a charm and really, these dimarzios are the key to a nice sound. I am also amazed by the trem stability,

f