Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bad switch or bad board?  (Read 897 times)

Offline sunshy

Bad switch or bad board?
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
I have a Nitefly Mojo that sounded like it had a dirty switch. Didn't really worry about it, but then the sound completely cut out. I can actually hear sound coming out of it when it's plugged in, but the sound is very low in volume (i.e. I have to strum it really hard in order to hear anything) and the sound is distorted as if it's "low on batteries" or something. I only get sound in the one position. I took it to my local guitar shop and they said it was the board and to send it back to Parker. Does this sound like a board issue or a switch issue? Just wondering if anyone has ever experienced something like this before. Thanks.

Re: Bad switch or bad board?

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »
did you change the battery? 

Which switch position gives you the best output ie piezos or mags?

I'd suspect the battery, then the switch, then the jack, then the volume pot, then the pcb.  Assuming the shop was diligent enough to check for any bad connections, etc. especially to the battery or jack.

Post pictures if you can.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 04:18:28 PM »
I second Billy’s post. It could be any of those (I’ve had all fail previously in one guitar).
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline sunshy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts. I did change the battery, but it should still work even without the battery no? Just not the piezo PU.

I get nothing from the Piezo, only the mags.

Here is a video I made showing the output sound. This is a high gain setting on my yamaha THR10 and you can see that I have to strum very hard for it to get past the threshold and make a sound.

https://youtu.be/zHfA0iDgFHY

So Should I take it into another shop and have them go down the list in the order that Billy posted?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:39:26 PM by sunshy »

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:26 PM »
No battery = no sound. Not even for the mags.

I’m betting on a faulty switch or the jack. You should be able to find a fault with either of these with a visual inspection but you’ll have to unscrew them. Look for incorrect contacts when you flick the switch or plug in the cable and adjust accordingly.

If it is the PCB, you can get a replacement online and swap it over yourself. It’s easy, don’t bother sending your guitar to anyone. All the wires plug in, just don’t mix them up!

Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:10:13 AM »
Well, i dunno what's inside a Mojo, but this is what worked for my Fly Deluxe, which had the same sequence of problems, intermittent vol drops then..oh oh..

Clean the ribbon connectors where they pug into the board

You need to slide the white plastic friction mount thing back, the ribbon should then just slide out easily.

You'll see the ends of the ribbon with little solder pad type things, clean those with electronic cleaner spray stuff and a cotton bud, or something similar etc.

Something similar happened to my Fly a while back, this is what fixed it.

After many years, a bit of oxidation etc can build up on those things.

And go slow, you don't wanna rip that dang ribbon!

I'm betting crud on a connector.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sunshy

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
Can you please point out where the "ribbon connector" is in this picture? May not be the same stuffs.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 12:28:16 PM »
I was going to say that NiteFlys used normal point to point wiring, not a flex cable.

The PTP wiring actually makes troubleshooting and repairs easier.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline billy

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 03:44:55 PM »
Great comment on reseating the ribbons (if you have them). 

From what I see you might simply have a bad ground connection.

If you look at the solder joints to multiple green and black wires, some look a bit flaky, especially on the switch and the ground lug.  Try moving those wires a little bit while you're plugged in and see if things change.  If so, you can take it somewhere to be resoldered, or try to diy if you're so inclined.

Look to be sure that nothing is shorting on the pots, switches, etc.  Also check that the brown capacitor soldered to the pot isn't shorting out on the metal body.

If those all check out, you're back to the previous list of things that might have failed, though I'd move the switches and pots up higher on the list of potential candidates.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
Yeah well there you go... Ignore my previous post, there ain't no ribbon in that guitar!!

All the other posts are on the money, do what they reckon.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline sunshy

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
OK, so tech said it is probably the pre amp. I was thinking of also having it re-wired to add a passive/active switch like in this thread:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=14926.0

Just wanted to double check that:

1. The pre amp I need is a Fishman Powerchip.

2. The switch I need for the passive/active mod is this one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-three-position-on-on-on-4pdt-pickup-selector-switch

Or suggest a better option. Thanks a lot!

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 01:17:38 PM »
You can use either the fishman powerchip or the graphtech ghost, either will work with the existing saddles. 

I'm not sure about what switch you need for active/passive.  I'd probably explore wiring the preamp to the piezos only and skip the switch.

There's wiring diagrams available on the parkerguitars.com site under support/tech help.  Also the diagrams that come with the preamp are probably enough too.
Billy

Offline jb63

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:15 PM »
If you can do the power chip, that's what I recommend! Its a slightly different sound than the graphtech board, but I think it matches the mojo's wood sounds better. If that makes any sense. Its also possible that you may not be able to tell the difference unless you use a lot of processed distortion! Anyway, good luck! It's not a tough fix, and if you do it yourself you will feel more powerful!

Offline sunshy

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
It was the Fishman Powerchip. I had it replaced and all is working as it should now. Forgot what a pleasure it was to play this thing. Thanks for all the tips. 

Offline billy

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »
Cool!  Glad it’s working
Billy