Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: the tremelo adjustment.  (Read 1166 times)

Offline bisalou1@yahoo.com

the tremelo adjustment.
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:36:07 PM »
I just changed the strings on my Parker. (they are 9's) Anyway, when I start to tighten the strings to tune the spring gets compressed to such a degree that it pulls the spring away from the "Step-Stop".....even when the Balance wheel is turned as far as I can to increase the spring's force on the bridge. The spring is the spring for the light gauge "9" strings. What may I be doing wrong? Can anyone give me a clue as to what needs to be done. This is really frustrating.

Re: the tremelo adjustment.

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
Thank you. I'll give those suggestions a shot ASAP. The problem I am having, though, is that the spring never touches the step-stop except when there are no strings on the guitar. After the strings are tightened they pull the bridge away from the step-stop making tuning impossible. Oh well, I will do a step-by-step following of those instructions and see what the results may be.

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
The guide linked is really good.  It may just be really far out of adjustment.  Post some pictures if you can, maybe something else is going on. 

One other worst case consideration is that your spring is damaged or bent out of shape somehow.  The good news is you can still buy them on ebay and they're not crazy expensive.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:47:26 PM »
Thanks  for the post. I tried something that WORKED! When I put the strings on...of course it was pulling the spring away from the Step/stop "anvil". Anyway, I filled that gap with a piece of metal to act as the anvil against which the spring would rest normally. I was able to tune the guitar to perfection. When I removed the metal "shim" the guitar slightly de-tuned but, at that point I was able to tweak it back into tune and it's acting like it was WELDED in tune. SWEET! All it needed was a "modified" step-stop. Hmmm, guess ya gotta what ya gotta do, huh?

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:11:50 PM »
Mmmm perhaps, but the problem you’ve described sounds like the spring does not match the string tension. Remember the number on the spring is “best fit”. It is not exact due to differences in spring batches. Also different 009 strings will have different tensions depending on manufacturer and batch. I have several 10 springs for my 7 string and they all have a different resting position against the step stop.

So, try a different spring.

PS if/when Parker comes back on the market this is one area that they need to address from a quality and presentation perspective. You buy a premium instrument for several thousand and then open the back to find what looks like a piece of scrap metal holding the whole thing together - not a good look.

Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:37:53 PM »
I have both a 10 spring and a 9 spring..(that being the one that is presently on the guitar). (I do use 9's for strings) I got desperate and tried the 10 spring thinking .."more spring tension"..but it didn't help at all. So, back to the 9 and then with my "modification"...all is good. You are right, though, about Parker having to take a look at that system...if/when. But given what I now have as far as knowing the way it works...I believe it will suffice.

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Even though you're getting good results, something's not right.  Post some pictures, we can probably spot it and save you some grief down the line. 

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
OK....The next set of strings that I change I will post a few pics of what is taking place. I do understand that the way I achieved a successful tuning and stability is a bit unorthodox but I have been playing the daylights out of the guitar and it is remarkably holding tune even with some heavy tremolo usage. Whatever I did works.

Offline That_is_a_Knoife

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:27 AM »
Mmmm perhaps, but the problem you’ve described sounds like the spring does not match the string tension. Remember the number on the spring is “best fit”. It is not exact due to differences in spring batches. Also different 009 strings will have different tensions depending on manufacturer and batch. I have several 10 springs for my 7 string and they all have a different resting position against the step stop.

So, try a different spring.

PS if/when Parker comes back on the market this is one area that they need to address from a quality and presentation perspective. You buy a premium instrument for several thousand and then open the back to find what looks like a piece of scrap metal holding the whole thing together - not a good look.

Indeed. My 0.09 Spring has so much rust on it. Why not an aluminum-alloy? or a different coating?
I hope they don't drop it cause the flat spring has its pros over regular springs that are used on the cheap models.

Has anyone ever replaced the bearings and can say something about them?

I have to be the party pooper and say it:
It is a Vibrato system not a tremolo. Marketing has messed up again (or it was wanted that to not give publicity to the vibrola stuff)
It's the same with the pedals (why there are some that won't do what is one the label)
Tremolo is a change in Volume...
Vibrato is a change in Pitch. That is what you do pulling on that bar.

Glad they call it vibrato in the manuals.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:53:09 AM by That_is_a_Knoife »

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
There are some other posts about changing bearings. It’s not hard in principle but ymmv, based on your personal abilities and patience but also the condition of the parts and your tools. And getting the right replacements, which I found on amazon. I think they are 10mm od x 3mm wide, shielded but unsealed.

I’ve done it and it took less than an hour.

I forget his handle and hasn’t been here in a while but it should come up if you search for replacement bearings and Alex.
Billy

Offline That_is_a_Knoife

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
I swear I go to the vatican and force the pope to kiss your feet.
That was really helpful and I even found pictures in this thread from the Noodler:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,9875.msg91745.html#msg91745

Is there a way to change the refined vibrato insert to the old one?
It's not primarely about the hexagonal arm but more about a better fit.

I want less movement before the bend begins, but it should still move out of the way if I don't hold the arm.
Should I bend the vibrato arm? Should I add some tape? Should I just buy a new plastic insert to hold the arm?
What's the best way to remove it?
Cause if I can't fix it, I'll get a new insert turned from stainless steel.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:17:56 AM by That_is_a_Knoife »

Offline billy

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:05:21 PM »
Ha!  glad to help, but I would be eternally grateful for even a passing glance from the pope.  lol  I'm already very blessed despite my occasional grouchy mood.  But I will accept more, if that's even possible.

As for the bearings, just make sure you press them on the right surfaces and it should not be hard.  I can try to look up the amazon number if you need it.

As for the trem, I would try the home improvement store version of the vibrato insert as a first step.  It's basically a nylon bushing with the right diameters that you can pick up for about $1.

Be careful not to overtighten the tension screw in an effort to reduce the play in the arm, you will only split the existing insert eventually.  If I remember right that screw just controls how easily the arm spins out of the way. 

The amount and type of play you describe makes me think this has already happened, so again, try the hardware store bushing first- I think you can search for that too.  I'll take a quick look in a minute.

As for switching to the old style hex arm, the only hard part is finding the old inserts.  Making them as a turning wouldn't be hard except for the part where the hex goes in. 

That said, if I had the right lathe and cutters, I'd turn one to accept the round bar you already have and then add a slight bend at the end of the bar to make it fit the way you want.

Not cheap but if there was interest it would be less if they were made in 100 piece lots- it could be automated at that point.

Billy

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:01:50 PM »
Here's that link for the $1 bushing.  http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15992.msg140176.html#msg140176

You might be able to find them in black nylon elsewhere, fastenal, mcmaster, etc.

Also, there's a link a few posts down to a guy who will make them in titanium..
Billy

Offline jb63

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »
I bought one of the titanium ones. I was very satisfied!