Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Has anyone a 3D-scan/model of a Parker Fly  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Ollii

Has anyone a 3D-scan/model of a Parker Fly
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:18 AM »
Hi, I'm thinking about building a mixup between a parker fly and a strandberg boden. I would like to know if any of you have a 3D model of a Parker Fly Deluxe. This would make the build up for a prototype much easier, because of the complicated shaping of the fly.

This is the goal of the project (if it is possible at all  ;) ): http://miy.de/die-perfekte-e-gitarre/

Re: Has anyone a 3D-scan/model of a Parker Fly

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:10:47 PM »
Awesome
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline jb63

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Cool. You may want to re-think the bottom (Strandberg) part to include a large enough cavity and balance. I look forward to seeing your results!

Offline marcwormjim

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 01:26:23 AM »
Sometimes I play my Boden and worry it isn’t stabbing me in the ribs enough.

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:29 PM »
lol

Cool project. If you do get surfaces, please share. Some day, when I have tons of free time and nothing to do, I will get a fly scanned and build my own cad surfaces off the points.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline jb63

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »
lol
Some day, when I have tons of free time and nothing to do

Bwa-hahahahaha!

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
ha!  It's almost like you know me.  lol

More seriously though, the cad part I'm really quick with- I could do the 3D cad surfaces in a few hours after everyone is asleep at my house. I might have to split it over two nights but that's worst case.

It's the coordinating a few hours of time before that with a bare shell and the scanner at the local makerspace to make the point cloud. 

And a second visit or three because it will never work straight up the first time.  Or someone else is on it already and taking forever.

So, if anyone can get a point cloud scanned from a bare shell, let me know!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline Ollii

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:53:28 AM »
Hi, yes, the design is not quite final. With the free time I am unfortunately like you  ;D. Otherwise, I would have reactivated my sleeping 3D skills and tried to rebuild the guitar from scratch. Without exact dimensions, however, this is a game of chance. Maybe I'll cut one out of Styrodur first.
Just hoping, that someone is progamming an 3d-scanning-app for the iPhoneX. That would make this much easier  :D.

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:53:04 AM »
Sometimes I play my Boden and worry it isn’t stabbing me in the ribs enough.

:)

You know i've never had that issue until just the other day..did a gig where i though it might look a little cooler to wear my Fly a little lower.. more Rock n Roll, so i lengthened the strap only a couple of inches and boom! Came off stage with a bruise on my sternum and another down near my right hip bone.

I'm gonna put it back up to where it was...

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline billy

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 04:25:05 PM »
lol, rock n roll is a tough job, no doubt about it...

As for 3d scanning apps, they already exist for the iphone.  I haven't had much success with them personally but they get better all the time.

The process has a name:  Photogrammetry 

Here's a link to read more about a few of them and get a general sense of how they work.

https://3dscanexpert.com/3-free-3d-scanning-apps/

i might give it another shot with some of the apps I haven't tried yet.
Billy

Offline Ollii

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 01:09:43 AM »
Yes, the disadvantage of photogrammetry is unfortunately that the stetup to get good 3D-models is quite complex. And the finals 3d-object is still not very exact. If you already own a parker or know someone nearby who has one, time is not the problem. Unfortunately that does not apply to me. I would have to find someone who lives near me, owns one, and has enough patience to get involved.

I would now have the hope that the laser dots from the iPhone X may be a bit more accurate. Unfortunately, I have to wait for my new company phone til February :-).

Offline billy

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
The setup isn’t too bad actually. The worst inaacuracy is typically caused by glossy reflecting surfaces. Very hard to manage that with photographing a guitar.

If you expect to pull mesh data in and use it directly, I would not expect great results.

But if you want a decent imported guide to help build 3d cad surfaces, backed by real mechanical measurements in key places, then it could be very useful.

I didn’t realize you don’t have a parker. I own a few in various states of assembly, and relative to other demands, time is most definitely the problem.

Like I said, someday..!  Maybe someone else might be inspired to try creating an app created mesh in the meantime.
Billy

Offline Ollii

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »
Wow, my wife ordered yesterday a Strandberg Boden Plini as a Christmas present for me  :o :D. Seen in this way, the measurement of the Strandberg part should already be assured  ;).

Offline billy

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
wow, lucky!  let us know how you like the boden.
Billy