Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Supreme spotted  (Read 349 times)

Offline rjktech

Fly Supreme spotted
« on: November 16, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
Spotted a Fly Supreme, the seller has it listed on both Reverb and Ebay.

Interestingly enough, the seller indicates trem wheel does not move.  Isn't this indicative of over tightening?

The Parker manual states over tightening may cause permanent damage to the guitar.  Any trem wheel experts that can chime in on this?

Re: Fly Supreme spotted

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:26:40 AM »
... the seller indicates trem wheel does not move.  Isn't this indicative of over tightening?

Not necessarily. If it's just 'overtight', it can still be backed off carefully. If it really feels immovable, there could be something else going on in there, like frozen or damaged threads.

The Parker manual states over tightening may cause permanent damage to the guitar.  Any trem wheel experts that can chime in on this?

One potential result is a broken spring ... and if that happens, the wood above the spring usually gets damaged too.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline stNbc

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 10:40:28 AM »
What do you think of the price he has on there? Having just bought my Artist on Reverb for 1900, I think 3400 bucks is a little insane for the less rare model.  Although I'm sure that people hording the maple ones would love to think they can sell them for that much.
??
really?

Offline stNbc

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
There also happens to be one on FleaBay and that guy wants SIXTY FIVE HUNDRED dollars for it. I would think that if they were worth that much, whoever is sitting on the templates and tools would dust them off immediately...
really?

Online mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
I've had this happen on 2 different occaisions for 2 different reasons. The 1st was related to a broken spring. However the guitar was a Fly Maple Classic which is very similar to a Supreme in that the wood is Maple in both. Maple being a fairly hard wood did not sustain very much damage  at all. The broken edge of the spring was slightly embedded in the wood (inside the cavity only,  small ding,  not through to the outside top) but there was no structural damage to the wood. I have seen most of the spring damage seems to occur on mahogany or poplar versions. So even if it is a broken spring,  it is likely to be fixable w/o any structural and/or finish issue.

The 2nd time it was a problem on a Parker Fly Deluxe.  The tension wheel was rubbing up in the cavity.   I very carefully took some sandpaper and increase the clearance and everything was fine after that.

Both of these guitars were purchase used. The spring issue is known, but not particularly common. The other one I had never heard of before,  but it wad an easy fix.  I'm not sure how it happened.   I would assume coming out of the factory they would have caught something like that pretty easily. I didn't see any damage or any attempt at any kind of alterations or modifications to the guitar but the tension wheel was clearly rubbing and locking up because of it. Again, a little sandpaper, a little patience and a little care - it was all fixed and you couldn't tell it wasn't original.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:06:28 PM by mmmmgtr »

Online sybersitizen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
What do you think of the price he has on there?

Personally ... I don't find body woods or finishes to be important factors, so I'm not tempted at all. I see no practical justification to pay more for any Fly than I would pay for my Deluxe. (I had an Artist for a while just to see how it compares, but I re-sold that later.) Of course, other folks do have other priorities.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline stNbc

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 12:11:09 PM »
Sybersitizen, I totally agree!!! I have one Deluxe which sounds better (imho) and one that sounds about the same as the Artist and I'm having a hard time even justifying holding on to the Artist. Heck, I usually find that I have to EQ the Artist more than any other guitar I own because the highs are a little too much "broken glass" sometimes.
really?