Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back in the Fly life again  (Read 594 times)

Offline krusty

Back in the Fly life again
« on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
My Nightfly M was my first guitar exactly 10yrs ago. I bought various other guitars over the years, and eventually sold the Nightfly. A few years ago, I pounced on a Fly Mojo, and kept it for a while. I must be one of the only people in the world who dislikes SD pickups. Off went the Fly Mojo. I really missed the idea of having a Fly around, as the playability can't be beat, and I love the shape and weight too.

Last week, I managed to find an absolutely mint condition Fly Deluxe, in a colour I have been searching for - Heather Grey. This guitar appears absolutely unplayed, although it is 10yrs old, and has certainly seen use by its only owner. I traded a PRS SC245 that I bought new 3yrs ago for it. A fair trade, I would say. A quick swap to .010 gauge strings, some playing with amp settings, and I have what I believe will be my main guitar, and a keeper for life. Not a scratch on it anywhere. I'll try to add a couple of pics over the next couple of days.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:50:21 PM by krusty »

Re: Back in the Fly life again

Offline Piplodocus

• Well Parkers are a better addiction than skag...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 05:00:57 AM »
Welcome back to fly land! :)
2004 Fly Mojo Flame (TTBB), 2014 Fly Mojo Flame (TBB), 2001 Customized Midifly (w/Tripleplay), 2001 HSS Swamp Ash Nitefly SA (NFVSA/SB), 2000 Mahogany Nitefly (NFVM/TR), 2007 Southern Nitefly (BS), mostly all modded, Bareknuckle pickups, and also a "needs work" shagged 97 Maple Nitefly...

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 08:36:22 AM »
NIce!  Welcome back!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
I must be one of the only people in the world who dislikes SD pickups. Off went the Fly Mojo. I really missed the idea of having a Fly around, as the playability can't be beat, and I love the shape and weight too.

Welcome back!

Re pups, I have an SD JB and Jazz setup on my Nitefly. The JB is high output and I can get really heavy sounds. My 7 string has SD Distortions, but I don’t know why they call them that - they are no more high output than any other pickup. In fact I’d say they are slightly lower output. But I’m not convinced that changing them would make much of a difference either. IMO tonal variations between mass market pups are overstated. There’s a lot of fairy dust applied by all the manufacturers.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK