Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Optimal Nitefly action  (Read 716 times)

Offline Silot

Optimal Nitefly action
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
Hey guys !
Happy new year  :)
I was wondering, an action of 2mm low E /1.5mm high E on the Nitefly is considered usual or optimal ? Would you say it’s low ?
Can’t quite remember the set up of my long gone Nitefly SA and now I got a Nitefly Alder in my hands (which apparently has a bridge issue) that buzzes a lot and I’m kinda worried...

Thank you !!

Re: Optimal Nitefly action

Offline Mossman

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »
Where is it buzzing?  When you play first seven frets, frets 7 to 15, or everywhere?  Is it even buzzing on the frets, or at the bridge?

What amount of relief to you have on the neck?  My best success has been to adjust the neck until it is almost dead straight, just the slightest bit of relief.  Then I start with the bridge raised high enough so no buzz, and gradually lower it down until the first buzzing is heard.  Then I back it up about 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Your bridge has to be level - if it's leaned too far back the string can buzz on the hardware.

If this results in too high an action, check your frets for level with one another.  On most guitars I'd do this first, but Parker frets seem to be so perfect and hard wearing that buzzing has never been the frets' fault.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline Silot

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
No, no fret issues. It's the nut that's causing the buzz. This one was stringed with 013's and tuned down to C# so apparently someone was trying to open the nut slots so that the fatter strings could fit but it didn't work as promised  :-\

My question was about how low can we go with the Nitefly... Would you find the mentioned height low or medium for a Parker ?

Offline Mossman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
OK I see.  So it's only buzzing when the string is played open?

As for your initial question, where on the neck are you measuring the string height?  It is usually lower at the first fret than the 20th.  My Niteflys are around 3 mm at the 12th, and I consider that to be medium-low with .009s.  Could probably go a bit lower but makes bending harder for me.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 02:01:43 PM »
I was wondering, an action of 2mm low E /1.5mm high E on the Nitefly is considered usual or optimal ? Would you say it’s low ?

I think 'optimal' is all up to the player. My Fly (mostly the same fretboard characteristics, I assume) has a set of .008s with about 1.5mm at the low end and just about 1mm at the high end. I do like 'em low and don't mind some buzzing. On the other hand, I seem to recall that Johnny Winter used some very heavy strings that he could almost slip a whole finger under. That was apparently optimal for him.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Johnny Winter played a fair bit of slide if I recall correctly...
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
Syber is right - action height is totally player preference. The numbers you have quoted would generally be considered low, if you are measuring at the 12th fret.

But, you say the nut is buzzing? by that you mean buzzing on the first fret because the nut is too low? You could try adding a little relief, raising the bridge slightly, or if you are adventurous, shimming the nut so it sits a little higher.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline billy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 02:41:48 PM »
The standard parker set up from the factory at the 12th fret is 1.78 bass (.070") and 1.27 (.050") trebles.  Agree it's personal preference within the limits of what you can reasonably expect from vibrating strings of variable lengths and diameters.

Could be someone over-filed the nut.  Exactly where it's buzzing, what string, what fret, open, fingered, etc will help you figure it out. 

If the nut was filed too deeply, you can look up the superglue fix on stew-mac/youtube.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]