Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three Fly Dimarzio Pickup Variations  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Mossman

Re: Three Fly Dimarzio Pickup Variations
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
But the weird thing about your 2001 pup set is that the logo is not a carry over from Gen 1 because it's larger... Although it's a longshot, you could pull one or both of the pups and see if there's any labelling on the back.  For many years DiMarzio offered a number of its pickups in Fly configuration.  Stock pups likely won't have anything on the back, but if they're aftermarket they might have been marked somehow.

You can also take off the backplate and look for signs of resoldering on the mag leads, which might also indicate an aftermarket swap at some stage.

1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:58 AM »
Good suggestion. Thanks for that.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline Mossman

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
Here's something interesting: The photo for this product listing on Sweetwater shows a Fly Pickup with the same logo as your #2: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-parker-fly-pickup

CEJ
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »
 Wow – – the plot thickens LOL I’m going to send the link to Dimarzio and see if these are the same Gen 2  pick ups. Maybe the Gen 2 pickups that shipped to Parker for factory installs have a slightly different logo then these pickups (presumably also Gen 2) that were sold as replacement “swap it out yourself“ pickups. 

Thank you for the link and helpful information.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline Mossman

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 02:35:13 PM »
Yeah the MF ad was very sparse on details.  I'm assuming that the pickup in the picture was a PWHP1 or 2, because I don't think the Gen 1 were ever sold aftermarket. Maybe DiMarzio can enlighten.

Don't forget to report back!
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »
 I heard back from Dimarzio and they said:

“It isn’t likely that it’s Gen 2, but the only way to ID the actual model is to have a look at the model number stamped on the baseplate.”

..so I’ll probably take a look at the baseplates whenever I bring this guitar in for a setup. Thanks, all, for the help. I will certainly report back once I do find out what these pickups are.

Offline Mossman

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
Agh.  I can't bear the suspense...
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 09:27:18 AM »
Hi everyone,

I took a look at the underside of these pickups and I can now confirm that the pickups in the middle picture above are Gen 2 Dimarzio pickups. So, it seems that Gen 2 Dimarzio pickups did/do have two different logos on them.

These pickups were in a refined Fly Classic that I bought used, so, I assume that they came installed in the guitar. I've updated the original post with this information. Thanks again, everyone, for the help.

Offline Mossman

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2018, 02:11:25 PM »
Thanks for following up with that info - more for the archives, and now we have to stop telling people "if the logo's italic, they're gen 2, if they're not, they're Gen1".  I agree that they're probably original - if it's a Refined, it would have come with Gen 2.  But maybe, just maybe, a previous owner had swapped out for Gen 1s or some other, and later he or another owner decided to put it back to original using after market Gen 2 (some of which we know were sold with non-italic script).  We might never know for sure, but you could check for signs of resoldering in the rear cavity.

Or you could run the fingerprint that's visible in your photo through INTERPOL...

The good news is that if you sell the guitar you can hype the "coveted and rare 'Non-italic script' GEN 2 pickups".  Should be worth another hundred to a collector.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »
haha! Next, on a very special “Parker Fly” episode of “Unsolved Mysteries”, we’ll investigate the case of the  non-italic Gen 2 pickups.  :D

I think your suspicion about the previous owner using different pickups and then switching to these afternarket Gen 2’s might be correct. More for the archives indeed!

Offline billy

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 04:53:18 PM »
Could be Dimarzio decided to update their logo after introducing the gen 2 with the original logo.

Marketing people don't always make it easy on the rest of us.   ;)

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Exactly!  :D If the DiMarzio support person didn’t say explicitly “it isn’t likely” that this is a Gen2 set, then I would have just assumed it was a logo change.

Offline billy

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »
I got curious and went back and looked at the original picture a little closer.  And the image from Syber's fly.

The logos look a lot to me like the kind of mark you get when a laser marks onto certain plastics, like ABS.  The newer logos are much cleaner, which means they either got a new laser, training, or new additives in the bobbin plastic, or all of the above. (Additives can be used in the plastic resin during molding when laser marking is a known.  Then the mark can change color, give an embossed look vs engraved, etc.)

If this is how they're marking their bobbins, then it would explain very easily the differences in logo appearance, size, and location.  These are settings that are easily changed by the operator, most likely using loose guidelines for size and font.

The first logo looks like it was made using a common sans-serif font.  The second looks like they used a vectorized version consistent with dimarzio branding, as well as the third. 

The cleaner appearance in the third image shows a better understanding of how to set the laser to get a cleaner mark.  They may have even invested in a location fixture beyond masking tape on the table.

Personally, I would not put much faith in their comment.  Years ago, I got fast accurate responses from Dimarzio support, but that has not been the case in my last few attempts. 

Consistency was probably all over the map.  If there is any, its likely coming only from the way Parker ordered pups, which would be in a few big lots, with each lot made in a few days and then shipped.

IMHO logo markings to ID vintages of pups is a good way to narrow things down, but based on what I've observed, maybe not the most accurate way.  Always possible someone swapped them too.  Really interesting to think about these little mysteries.

Going to look at my parts bin to see if I have any older dimarzio pups around to compare.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »
Thanks, Billy, for the good observations. I'm also mindful that the original owner may have just purchased Gen2s and customized them as mmmmgtr mentioned.

I guess the only logical next step is for me to buy another Fly Classic with Gen2s from the same year and compare the sound! :D

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
gen2s are gen2s. I've had both logos. Ive also had the gen1s. My favorite pickups by far are the hybrids. Best sound in a pre-refined IMHO....

Best sounding Fly, again IMHO, The Stealth. The basswood body just has that something.... If I could find anther for sale,  If buy it in a second.