Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three Fly Dimarzio Pickup Variations  (Read 1215 times)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Re: Three Fly Dimarzio Pickup Variations
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2018, 08:52:01 PM »
My favorite pickups by far are the hybrids.

Thanks mmmmgtr; would you mind saying a bit more about what you’re specifically referring to when you say “the hybrids”? Do just mean Fly pickup experimentation in general or is there a particular hybrid you happen to like?

Also, I would love to play a Stealth should I ever come across one in this lifetime!!  :D
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2018, 08:34:34 PM »
If you search on this board,  you'll find a few threads on hybrid humbucker. One of the early contributors to this board,  Alex a.k.a. 908ssp, would pair up coils from different humbuckers. Sometimes swapping magnet types as well.  The difference in coil balance led to a more "open" sound. I have a few different versions,  but I think the most common was pairing up Gen1s and Gen2s. For example, take a bridge coil from a Gen1 and pair it with a bridge coil from a Gen2. do the same with the neck pickups.  Requires some electronics/ soldering skill...

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 08:41:48 PM »
Interesting—thanks for the overview. Would love to give pickups like that a try sometime.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info