Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Deluxe with Sustainiac playing Rush  (Read 1326 times)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
Fly Deluxe with Sustainiac playing Rush
« on: February 02, 2018, 07:44:59 AM »
Hi everyone,

In case you're interested (or in case you like Rush!), here's a recent video of me performing as part of a Rush tribute night featuring my Fly Deluxe with the Sustainiac driver. The Sustainiac is on in "normal" mode for the entire song, but you can hear it most prominently at the end of the solo (around 4:25) and during the intro drop D "drone" parts. Very useful for controlled feedback at a reasonable level.

https://youtu.be/49EoE5NJQqU

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:24:43 PM by vjmanzo »
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Re: Fly Deluxe with Sustainiac playing Rush

Offline Mossman

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 06:42:03 AM »
Really nice tone - I see the Fuchs - what's the rest of your setup?
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:16 AM »
Thanks! The Fuchs is actually the rig of the guy playing keyboard who also plays guitar (a Strandberg).

My rig is my Parker to an RME audio interface to a laptop running a bunch of instances of Positive Grid Bias VST amp modeler. Each of my patches is a composition of multiple amps and other processes (EQs, compression, etc). I do patch switching and amp layering through software I’ve written (in Max) that I load through Ableton Live (using Max for Live) and operate with a Logidy UMI three-button switch and an expression pedal. Then I go straight to the PA, but monitor my stage sound through in-eat monitors and a pair of QSC K-10s (which I hope to replace with a pair of Atomic CLRs in the coming months).

Kind of a techy rig, but I can easily translate sounds I do in my studio to the stage since it’s all software-based. Also, I can show up to a gig with a small rack, my Mac, and a Fly, which is nice—I think (and hope!) my days of lugging a Marshall 4x12 are behind me :)

Thanks again for checking out the video. I’m glad you liked it.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline Mossman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 11:58:59 AM »
Wow, well it's obviously working for you.  I have a similar philosophy now but not nearly as sophisticated.  I usually gig with an Axe FX straight to PA with a second out into a power amp and speakers for onstage.  It is wonderful to have consistent and reliable sounds and a rig that can be set up in two minutes.  I still haven't warmed up to in-ears though.  Anyway, nice work.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:11:47 PM »
Thanks again. Totally agree—consistency is great, and waiting for tubes to warm up stinks! :)
My use of in-ears is more about solving technical issues and compromising than it is about preference. If I had my way, I’d play “up to eleven”! :)

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
very cool, that's quite the rig you're running!  In ears aren't perfect but they do solve many issues.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:59:29 PM »
And they're a dream to have in the "off" position during the occasional (but perpetual!) drum solo!  :P