Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which model do I choose?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Elnatx

Which model do I choose?
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
Hello, first post here!!!!
I'm new to parkers, but I'd like to purchase one, having heard about their great playability.
Looking for used ones in my area, I can find a Nitefly Hss for 850, a near new fly mojo singlecut for 1250, or some fly deluxe and classic starting at about 1600.
I'm a little concerned about the pickups on the fly range, I've read they are not changeable, because are somehow different in dimensions to the usual Humbucker,that not being a problem with the fly mojo nor the nitefly...
I play all styles but extreme metal.
So I could purchase the nitefly in short term, or save more for the mojo singlecut, or save even more and wait more to get a classic or a deluxe.
With playability and versatility in mind, which do you think it would be the best option?
Thanks in advance! 

Re: Which model do I choose?

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »
A Fly (Deluxe, Classic, whatever) will be the lightest of those options, and Fly pickups are specialized because of the extremely narrow body thickness. It's possible to swap a few types of pickups in a Fly, but you're generally better off to leave them alone. (The Fly also has the most amazing neck joint you'll ever encounter.)

AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with the playability of a NiteFly (original series) or a Single Cut, both of which easily support pickup modifications ...  but they're heavier and more conventional overall.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 02:53:15 PM »
AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with the playability of a NiteFly (original series) or a Single Cut, both of which easily support pickup modifications ...  but they're heavier and more conventional overall.

Ahem...
The *new* nitefly is also awesome. Fly carved body, lightweight, thin neck joint, interchangeable pups (not that you’d want to, the JB/Jazz combo works brilliantly). It’s easily one of the best “conventional” guitars out there for all round performance.

But I may be biased!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
It's important for anyone mentioning a NiteFly (like the OP) to know that the 'original' NiteFly models and the 'new' NiteFly are completely different instruments.

I absolutely hate hate hate US Music and/or JAM Industries for reusing that name and causing confusion for all eternity.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Putt

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:44:24 PM »
Hmmmm....

I've been curious about the single cuts. I have a Bronze, Nylon and Deluxe, as well as a P36. I like the P36 more than any Fender or Gibson that I've ever owned, but it is a heavy sucker.  Am I reading that the single cuts are significantly heavier than the flys?

BTW, My opinion, in case there was doubt--there are Parkers, and there are Parker Flys. Only one provides the true experience that Ken Parker had in his vision.

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:27:26 PM »
It's important for anyone mentioning a NiteFly (like the OP) to know that the 'original' NiteFly models and the 'new' NiteFly are completely different instruments.

You’re right, the new far is far superior!  ;D

Seriously though, if the OP is looking for a guitar with superb playability without the Fly price tag, the radial Nitefly is perfect. I’ve had a bad back for years and its lightweight build (only fractionally heavier than a carbon Fly) really helped me. It’s only shortcoming is 22 frets, not 24 but that is personal preference.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Mossman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »
Here's my two bits: If you want the playability afforded by a compound radius fingerboard and the ultra-consistent and stable composite fretboard / ss fret combination, then you're looking at the Fly or NiteFly.  I have a few of both.

Think of the NiteFly as a near--perfect superstrat.  Most are HSS so are pretty versatile if you need a lot of tones for gigging.  They're not nearly as light as the Fly, and the originals models 1-4 had thicker maple bodies and could weigh as much as 8 lbs.  The necks are awesome feeling but more strat than fly.  The NiteFly tremolo is sort of halfway between the Fly and a strat.  I prefer the feel of the Fly version, with the flat spring, over the three-spring version in the NF.  It's easy to swap pickups on the NF.

The Fly is more focused.  It sounds gorgeous with gen 1 or 2 pickups, like a violin, but those pickups can't really be improved (there are some replacements that will fit but I've never heard anyone raving about an improvement).  The super-resonant body also makes the piezo pickups sound better on the fly, imho.  It's incredibly lightweight (between 4 and 5.5 lbs, mostly).  The downside is that it doesn't have a very good stratty sound (pre-refined had split buckers only in middle position; refined fly allowed both pickups to be split, but they don't sound very good that way).

Maybe the easiest way to summarize is that when I decide what guitar to take to a gig, I ask whether I need a really versatile jack of all trades, in which case I take the NF.  If I just want to geek out with great tone from a featherweight, beautiful axe, I'll take the Fly.  But in most cases I'll take one of each haha.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline jb63

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »
Everything mossman just said.
No, really, everything. I was just typing up some stuff here and read his post and just deleted mine. That’s pretty much the whole scoop there.

What I will add is that I have t played any of the radial neck joint niteflies.
I have played the pdf (China & Indonesia) and df (usa) dragonflies— those are the 22 fret ones— and they are all great guitars. But each one needed a lot of “finish” work and adjustment to get into maximum playability. The best ebony neck was on a PDF from Indonesia and all I had to do was a little fretwork to get it right. I’m in the desert, so its truss rod gets a workout, too, and the maple necks can take it and are slim. I loved the rosewood fretboard on one of the USA made ones, too.

The chunkier neck of the old nitefly with the jumbo frets is something that took som getting used to for me. But those guitars seem to go cheaply now so try and pick up one some day. They really can do anything and though heavy, are a joy to play.

I’m curious about what happened in between the radial neck joint nitefly and the old nitefly, though. Was there ever a radial neck joint nitefly with a carbon-wrapped fretboard? I know that eventually there was a df1024 which had one, but was there anything in between, or was this it:

https://reverb.com/item/10421648-2009-parker-nitefly-mojo-usa-flame-trans-blue-burst-active-electric-guitar

The df series which have the piezo and the ebony fretboard are by far the easiest guitars to play at the price point they seemed to go for, but it’s a messy used market right now and I haven’t seen any around.

One last thing, though, and I e said this about 1000 times, if you are good g to get a fly, choose the color you want, because you’ll be pretty happy and now want to get rid of it.

Offline Mossman

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
Doesn't every nitefly have the radial neck joint?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the term means.  I thought 'radial neck joint' means that the neck pocket on the body is curved to match the curvature of the neck.  If so, all my (carbon wrapped) NFs have that.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
No I think it’s because the neck and body bolt together with a series of “teeth” that are shaped in an arc. I’ve seen a photo and description somewhere from Parker say that this method means a stronger joint and better transfer of sound energy. They look a bit like interlocking cogs. The description said it was a requirement for the thin body because the new Nitefly body is carved identical to a Fly, very thin and lightweight. There is no a lot of wood, especially at the neck joint. The old NF was fat and flat in comparison.
J
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
... the new Nitefly body is carved identical to a Fly, very thin and lightweight. There is no a lot of wood, especially at the neck joint.

Old NF:

New NF:

I don't see a difference in the joint shape, and the new body looks just as thick where the neck attaches. The catalogs described the old NF joint this way: 'All Parker NiteFly guitars have a round neck shape that's round all the way to the end.' The difference was the carbon wrap. And neither is anything like the Fly joint:

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 03:35:09 PM »
Yes the Fly joint is different. You can see on the new NF the body is contoured either side of the joint and I'm fairly certain the thickness of the joint is also thinner than the joint on the old NF I've played previously. Maybe I'm wrong and the thickness is similar, but when you play the new, it feels like that whole area of the guitar is vastly thinner than the old NF meaning better playability for me. As you say, it's a different guitar.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:23 PM »
A point of clarification is that both old and new NFs appear to have the same type of neck joint ... originally called round, then later called radial. No difference is apparent to me.

Offline jb63

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Here's an odd aside:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15470.msg136320.html#msg136320

I took pictures of a USA-made DF and a Chinese-Made PDF (I still miss the DF!) and you can see that there is enough of a difference in the neck for you to feel when playing the high notes. I really would like to try one of these in the nitefly-shaped body one day.

Compared to the pics of my old nitefly, the necks are thin and the joint of both the new ones look smaller.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,15500.msg136550.html#msg136550

Offline Mossman

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
A point of clarification is that both old and new NFs appear to have the same type of neck joint ... originally called round, then later called radial. No difference is apparent to me.

This was my understanding also.  I don't see any interlocking cogs or teeth on the Radial joint.  And not that it matters too much, but Sybersitizen's picture of 'old' NF is a really old one - an NFV1 or 2.  Those were maple bodies and quite thick (my NFV4 is 8 lbs!).  With the 5 they made the bodies quite a bit thinner, although not as thin as the later Radial models, it would seem.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)