Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tension Question for Parker Fly 12-String Hybrid Project  (Read 2126 times)

Offline jb63

Re: Tension Question for Parker Fly 12-String Hybrid Project
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 11:37:29 AM »
For some unknown reason (out of the blue) it occurred to me that you could do this to a Nitefly with no tension worries at all. That neck is a tank!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
Good thought! Thanks! I had the same one about a week ago; I don’t own a Nitefly, but I figured the bolt-on neck would be rock solid.

Long story short: after doing some tests, I think the main concern with the added tension is not the stability of the neck (Fly or Nitefly), but the notion of the truss rod anchor causing wood compression. I made a list of the Nitefly models with mahogany necks (harder wood than basswood) in case I couldn’t find a reasonably priced Fly Mojo, but I just recently found one to use for this project. Nice!

I’m working with a former student now to do some stress tests on mahogany to see at which tension the anchor causes wood compression.

The next steps after that are to work through making/modding some piezo sensors to put in our saddles. Graphtec wouldn’t sell me just the sensors, so we’ll either have to make our own sensors or try to unglue the Graphtec ones from the saddles they came with.

Once that’s done, I’ll string it up with six strings and make sure everything is cool and stable (block the bridge, etc.) before :: gulp :: we start practicing the headstock hole drilling! 

Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Deluxe [redwood, hardtail] (1993), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 04:12:35 PM »
It seems to me that six more holes in that skinny headstock might present the biggest risk for failure.  May need to reinforce....

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Agreed. My initial thought is to put a steel plate between the tuners and the wood; Sperzel ships the D-Thing with an individual plate like this to help strengthen the wood. Other ideas?
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Deluxe [redwood, hardtail] (1993), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline billy

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 10:38:03 AM »
Aluminum is probably strong enough for a little tuning machine support, easier to work and lighter weight.  You might even try a 90 deg extrusion for a little more stiffness.  You might have to route a small lip on the top of the headstock to allow the tuner nuts to engage but I doubt that's a problem.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
Thanks, Billy. Good suggestion; I’ll keep that in mind. I’ve got a Mojo to work with now, so we’re trying to ensure that the new bridge works properly while simultaneously testing the truss. We’ll start doing some practice holes on a block of mahogany, and, I think we can make an aluminum plate.

So many opportunities for this to all go wrong!   ::) I suppose if you see me make a post about my new “Fly Mojo wall clock”, you’ll know that we goofed  :)

Thanks!

Offline billy

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 11:25:00 AM »
FWIW I think it's going to be pretty cool and you're taking good steps to check the potential issues.

I like the aluminum 90 deg extrusion since that bend makes it stronger without adding a lot of weight or material.  the local home store has it in various widths and lengths for about $10 or so. 

But I'm also interested to see what you guys come up with if you make your own.  ;)
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
Thanks, man.

Yes, I think the 90 degree aluminum extrusion concept is great! We'll probably pick one up locally and then drill holes. Thanks!