Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Mojo Flame Black Cherry Burst - want to sell  (Read 481 times)

Offline rt0412

Fly Mojo Flame Black Cherry Burst - want to sell
« on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
I have a Fly Mojo Flame Black Cherry Burst that I have not played for quite a while... it's my most expensive guitar and I rarely play it because I'm afraid of scratching or denting it. I feel more comfortable playing less expensive guitars. I realized that there's really no sense keeping it if I'm not going to play and enjoy it, I might as well sell it.

There's a little problem though... recently, I decided to check it and I noticed that on piezo mode, the 'E' bass string output is a bit weak compared to the rest of the strings. It seems the piezo element on that string has gone bad. Ironic, since I rarely play with it and it developed that problem. I can probably repair it but I don't want to go to the trouble of doing so (getting a bit lazy with tinkering).

The question is, should I repair it (or have it repaired) before selling it or go ahead and sell it as is with a bit of a discount? I know there are members here that have the skills to repair that particular issue.

Any advice? Anybody want to buy it and repair it themselves?

Re: Fly Mojo Flame Black Cherry Burst - want to sell

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »
I've seen the actual selling price of Mojos on Reverb and eBay vary quite a bit. Though some people do ask high $2000s and sometimes even $3000, I haven't seen many move at that price. On a good day, you'd fetch north of $2000, but most I've seen lately have been around $1750 or so. I think if you were okay getting somewhere around that price, you could list it as is and describe the issue. If you spend the money to fix the issue, it might not fetch a much higher price. This is just my opinion, by the way, but I do keep an eye on what the going rates are on the second-hand market.

I'm curious: what year is it and what are you hoping to get? Any pics? PM me if you're more comfortable that way.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline Mossman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:52:42 PM »
I would agree, don't fix it unless you can find someone to sell you a single replacement saddle.  A whole new set will cost $100 plus install and you won't recoup that.  Some buyers won't want the piezo anyway; others will be Fly aficionados with a few saddles in a drawer.  List it at $1900 with the busted saddle, or fix it and list it at $1900.  My guess is that it'll sell quicker busted because the buyer will think he's getting a deal.
1994 Fly Deluxe (Black)
1998 Fly Deluxe (Plum)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Green)
2006 Refined Fly Classic (Natural)
2008 Refined Fly Deluxe (Heather Grey)
1998 NiteFly NVF4 (White)
1999 NiteFly NVF7 (Black)
2000 NiteFly SA (Transparent Blue)
2006 NiteFly M (Oil & Wax)
2006 NiteFly SA (Sunburst)

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Mostly agree but there are some simple things to check first.

Remove rear cover and check that the wire is connected. 

If all is well there, then check the saddle to be sure it’s not loose.

Also, it may be worth loosening the saddle and cleaning underneath.

The piezo needs pressure to work properly and getting rid of any crud helps.

Good luck!
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline rt0412

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »
I think I'll follow the advice to sell it as is at the recommended price of $1800. I have to double check it first and make sure there are no other issues with it.

I'll post it for sale here and on Reverb.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice.

Offline jazzafly

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:47:49 AM »
VERY interested in the Fly Mojo.....any pics please?

Cheers,
Jazzafly