Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Noise in used Parker Fly De Lux 1995 - Please HELP!!!!  (Read 1655 times)

Offline cesardariuz

Noise in used Parker Fly De Lux 1995 - Please HELP!!!!
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
I recently bought a used Parker Fly Guitar (1995 De Lux) from a guy on the internet. It was quite cheap (For a Parker not for a regular guitar) due to some issues.

When using distortion I get a grainy noise, they guy told me he has not done anything to it but changing one of the knobs (the volume one) because it got broken, he then kept on playing but some months ago the noise started and increased with the months.

I am very excited with my guitar, sadly I have no money to buy a new one and will have to settle with this used one and this issue while trying to fix it on my own. Any suggestions? I am based in Cologne, Germany so any luthier around is helpful for me.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WCZdtoPJA

Re: Noise in used Parker Fly De Lux 1995 - Please HELP!!!!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:58:53 AM »
Can you identify if it’s the magnetic pickups and/or the piezo pickup? If you lower the piezo knob and only use the magnetic pickups (switch to mag pickups only), does it still distort? Have you tried a new battery?
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline cesardariuz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:25:06 PM »
Hi there

I suspect its the piezo, on its own it does this sound, the mags comes and goes. Battery its new, I will follow your instructions and see how it goes.

Thanks!!!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 05:24:38 PM »
No problem—happy to help. I know it can be disappointing to discover these issues, but, if it ends up being then piezo that’s causing the distortion, that’s not the worst thing; there are a few options for replacing the piezo.
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11 || More Info

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 05:48:19 PM »
... they guy told me he has not done anything to it but changing one of the knobs (the volume one) because it got broken, he then kept on playing but some months ago the noise started and increased with the months.

He changed the knob or he changed the pot?

Have you opened the rear cavity to look things over?
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline cesardariuz

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:44:05 AM »
Hi There

He changed the knob apparently. I will need to open it to see whats the condition inside.

Keep you guys posted.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:05:48 PM »
Congrats on your fly!

First thing I'd do is remove the back cover and have a look at the wiring, could be a ground issue.  Check for any torn flex cables, easy to do if you tighten jacks or pots from the outside without realizing how they're connected inside.  Also check the switches, since that can cause issues too.

If all is well with the above, check the saddle screws for tightness.  If there's any crud underneath the saddles, that can also cause an issue or buzzing.

Also check the piezo trimmer on the pcb, it might be cranked.  Do the pots crackle when turned?  Do you get the noise in stereo or mono or both?  If there's any point where the noise goes away when you make some setting change on the guitar, that will help ID the issue.

good luck, keep us posted, and post pics (not on photobucket!) if you don't get it sorted meantime.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »
maybe try adjusting the gain level on the pre-amp motherboard? If it's too high, maybe it would distort the signal?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline cesardariuz

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
Hi Guys

So im slowly narrowing it down; the piezo is the issue according to me. I tried it on its own and is annoying how much it increases when I uses the piezo only.

When I lower the volume of the piezo the noise goes away a little bit. I went to the back but couldnt try everything, I arrive too late from work and will do so maybe this weekend.

Wish me luck!!

Have a great weekend yo!!!

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
Seems like you’re making progress sorting out this issue! If the problem truly is the piezo amp, on a 95 Deluxe, you’ll have to remove the board inside and switch to point-to-point wiring. This has been described in great detail on this forum, so you’re in luck!

If you intend to replace the piezo, you’ll have to switch to the graphtech ghost, the RMC, or find a second-hand Fishman Piezo (2nd generation) on the used market. Having said that, I personally like the piezo functionality and use it, but that functionality doesn’t appeal to everyone; you may find that, when you switch-to-point wiring, you may prefer to just use the magnetic pickups and not replace the piezo system. Food for thought! Good luck!

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »
Yeah, I'd go with a full clean of everything first up.

Unplug and check/clean the ends of the ribbon cables where they plug into the preamp board, i've had trouble with tarnish causing intermittent problems from these points in the past.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline jb63

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
I use caig dioxit or some similar cleaner when doing this. if you get lucky, those points cleaned up will solve the problem.

Offline cesardariuz

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 08:10:41 AM »
Thanks to you all guys, I keep on trying and keep you posted.

Offline cesardariuz

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
Soooo

I think I have a plan. I would buy a new bridge (used but oK) and change the whole bridge as I suspect this is the culprit, at least the saddles and just in case a new board. I do not believe the cables have something to do with it.

I have ordered this Caig Dioxid spray and give it a go; I have sound that when I isolate the piezo, the noise is almost gone. Bullet-points for my reasoning below:

- When I turn the volume of the piezo all the way down I can play with the mags and noise is almost completely gone
- When mixing with Piezo and clean there is some noise
- When using only piezo + clean, noise is almost gone
- When using piezo + gain; guitar is useless (not that this is what I plan to do)

So, maybe the saddles are the main issue, what do you guys think? Also, If this is  the case, where can I buy saddles for this model?

best to you all.

Offline Patzag

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 08:29:51 PM »
I suggest you check the solder points on the piezo.  I had a similar issue which resolved when the piezo soldering was cleaned up.  Specifically, there. is this "bar" where the saddles all meet and a blob of solder joins all the wires.  One of the wire connection had come "loose" but still attached and made a cold solder joint.  Ruined the grounding of the guitar and it buzzed horribly.

Just an idea!
Teal Fly Classic 1998 / White Deluxe Hard Tail 1994 /Axe FX II