Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly deluxe value  (Read 168 times)

Offline gaveup

Fly deluxe value
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »
Hey guys!

Have a friend who has a Parker Fly Deluxe Hardtail that he is considering selling. He let me borrow it for a little bit, but we can't figure out what a fair price is for the guitar. I see a lot of them going for 1200-1400, but thats usually in good shape with a case. This guitar doesn't come with any tools or a case.

It's not in good condition (lots of scratches, dings, bad chips, etc) but it plays pretty decently. Well, as far as I know as this is the first parker I have played.

I *think* its a 93 fly deluxe hardtail. Serial number is 360053BP

I have a gallery of all the pictures/damage (don't want to clutter this post up)
https://imgur.com/a/lxXwq

So what would be a fair price to sell/buy this at?

Re: Fly deluxe value

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »
Hi,

I can confirm that it’s a 93 hardtail Deluxe. I think the novelty of a hardtail from this early year could get you near $1200+/- even in this condition if he were to list it on Reverb assuming the trust still works and that there are not technical issues with the guitar; there aren’t that many hardtail Flys on the second-hand market, so, while that doesn’t make it “rare”, someone looking for a hardtail has to be patient. If it were mine, I’d list it at $1600 with the understanding that I’d expect/accept a lesser offer based on what “the market” actually demands.

If you’re buying it from your friend, I think $1200 is reasonably fair for both of you.

Just my opinion!
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline gaveup

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:15:41 AM »
Is there some kind of test for the truss rod working? I ask because I was setting it up and I did a little more than a 1/4 turn clockwise as the neck was bowed a bit much for me and it didn't seem to do much.

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
If you’re not so familiar with truss rod adjustments (the truss on that year of Fly is actually a truss “wire”), and your friend is okay with it, I’d take it to a local guitar tech for an assessment. Even if you pay a little out of pocket, you’d know what you’re getting into. Most issues on the Fly that are “wear and tear” issues have to do with pots and switches; if the internal circuit board on your Fly goes, for a few hundred bucks you can require it with something as good (if not better!). Issues related to the guitar collapsing in on itself related to abuse are harder to fix, but it may just be the case that this guitar has been beat up, but not misused.
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Is there some kind of test for the truss rod working? I ask because I was setting it up and I did a little more than a 1/4 turn clockwise as the neck was bowed a bit much for me and it didn't seem to do much.

By bowed,  do you mean back-bowed? If so,  you want to loosen counter clockwise.  If there is too much relief,  then clockwise is correct. Just wanted to double check...

Offline gaveup

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 11:19:20 AM »
Correct, not back bowed.

I think after playing it for a bit, I may not want to purchase it. There are couple dead frets up top 21/23 and I'm not wanting to do fret work on these guitars in case one just pops off.

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 04:11:43 PM »
If the truss rod isn't set up properly, you can easily get dead spots with certain frets, especially if the action is also low.

1/4 turn may not be much depending on where you started.  Flys like to have a very flat neck with almost no relief.  Action should be about .07" bass side and .05" treble side, measured at fret 12.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]