Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions regarding my P-44  (Read 190 times)

Offline Ismyp44real

Questions regarding my P-44
« on: September 04, 2018, 03:10:51 AM »
Hello everyone, I've just recently joined the forums, but I have been an owner of a P-44 nearing two months already. I happened to find it brand new in a shop near, a remnant from when Parker stopped production in Korea years ago. Apparently the guitar had been in the shop's storage for at least 7 years. Thing is, this might not be a P-44 after all...

The P-44's serial number is P0902345, made in Korea. Grover locking tuners, HH pickup selection with a Wilkinson Fishman piezo pickup. There are three knobs, piezo volume, mag volume and tone, and two switches, one threeway switch for the two mag pickups, and another switch for transitioning from piezo->piezo and mag-> mag.

The reason I am confused as to whether this guitar is real is due to two things out of everything on it: the headstock shape and the serial number. From what I have seen, the headstock is supposed to have a small bit protruding at the bottom, which mine doesn't have. The serial number, from what I have found on this board, is labeled as P (p series) ##(year) ##(month) ###(production number). In that case, my guitar would have been made in Feb of 2009 as the 345th guitar produced that year, which seems crazy to me.

I have seen a youtube video of a korean with a p-44 which also did not have the small bit protruding on the bottom of the headstock, which makes me wonder if maybe this is just difference seen in Korean made models.

Hope this wasn't tooo long, and hopefully I can get some answers from here :) thanks in advance!

Re: Questions regarding my P-44

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 04:50:17 AM »
Hi there (very imaginatively named) Ismyp44real!

;)

Yeah,the P series guitars cause a bit of serial # confusion, however according to this post:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=12964.0

your # would be interpreted as:

09 - September
02 -  2002
354 - Production #

Anyway, P series i don't really know that much about, so maybe someone else can help fill in the blanks, however definitely posting a pic or three will help no end!

You'll need to upload the pics to some hosting site and share that way, or post a link etc.

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Ismyp44real

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 05:16:33 AM »

You'll need to upload the pics to some hosting site and share that way, or post a link etc.

B.S.

Haha, thanks! I already had an imgur album with pictures ready, but I was unsure about rules regarding posting images/links so I didn't post anything. Here's the imgur link in question: http://imgur.com/a/gZkid0j

My biggest gripe is with the production number. Number 345 by February sounds a tad too much production within two months, which is why I think it might be a fake (also the very convenient 02345 numbering).

Anyways, thanks, I posted an imgur link, have a looksee if you will

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:13:45 AM »
Yeah dude, again, according to this post

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php?topic=12964.0

...."And just to summarize the serial# thing for P-Series guitars...

Serial#'s starting with P are Month/Year/Production#

Serial#'s without the P are Year/Month/Production#"

So anyway it's looks to be an early or first run P44.

Google early P44, there's a few pics of that finish to be found, looks ok to me; at any rate, haven't heard of any fake Parkers going around.

Does it play well?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:20:40 AM by Big Swifty »
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524

Offline Ismyp44real

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 07:08:09 AM »
And that's the thing. If this was from 2002, the knob configuration should be different. From what I understand, there was some big change in knobs in 2003, and from what I see mine is post 2003

Offline Ismyp44real

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:59 AM »
As for the playability, I've got to say it weighs like nothing and looks beautiful, but even when I was buying it, I don't know why, but I felt dissatisfied with the sound from it, and the super thin neck is starting to hurt my hand when I try to play with my thumb over the fretboard because of how sharp it is.

I've recently found a 08Gibson ROBOT series SG with broken electronics going for 650 near me, and I'm going to go try it out tomorrow. If I like it enough, I plan to sell the p-44 to finance it. Plan to change out all the ROBOT parts for normal parts.

Also the reason why I made this username instead of something I'd be likely to use longterm because I might be getting rid of the parker

Offline Barry

• Barry Eames, the, um, Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
This looks like the real deal to moi. I think you may be over analyzing it.
It is not uncommon for overseas guitar manufacturers to make changes to design elements, hardware, and electronics. This is normally in support of cost savings or consumer response.

For example, I have been heavily involved with guitars made by the legendary Japanese maker Matsumoku for many years, and the changes that they went through in a relatively short time causes some head scratching. You do see short runs, prototypes, and experimental wiring, and limited colours & finishes. However the end product is still a solid, high quality instrument worthy of the name.
From what I see, you have a well built, high quality guitar there.

As for your thumb hurting, first of all that's bad hand position but we're all guilty of it.  ;D
The problem is that the fret ends are poking out beyond the board. This is common and can happen to any guitar and is usually caused by lack of hydration. The wood shrinks exposing the metal ends. Since the guitar was in storage for 7 years that is to be expected.

The fix is easy, and requires the ends to be filed down and reshaped. You can do it yourself if you're confident but any competent tech can do it for reasonable cost. Once that is done I think you'll find the neck is a dream to play.

I would recommend that you keep the Parker. Gibson SG's are a dime a dozen, but these are not. And the robot tuners are terrible, expensive and make the neck extra heavy. You'll end up spending more money on the SG than the Parker and you'll not have the versatility and playability.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:12:59 AM by Barry »
Love one woman, many vintage guitars.
Or...was it the other way around?

PM-20 Hornet Red Bubinga owner & recovering GAS addict

Offline Ismyp44real

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 09:07:02 AM »
None of the fret ends are sprouting, and I have already oiled the fretboard last month. The neck is just extremely thin and fast, but when I try thumb over chords in the style of Jimi Hendtrix or John Frusciante, the thinness is too much in that it starts driving into my thumb joints. That part might indeed be because I have the wrong thumb over posture, but rest assured, it is very much a way of playing, with the thumb over the top muting the bass notes or pressing notes on the low E string while muting the A string. You can even use this for normal chords, muting the E string for an A shape barre chord and strumming every string, muting the E and A string for a D shape barre chord, etc.

I finally found a 2002 parker catalog, and it seems the guitar is the real deal! As for whether or not I will sell the Parker is still undecided on, so worry not :D

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
I finally found a 2002 parker catalog

Where did you get that? I've never seen one dated 2002.

and it seems the guitar is the real deal!

Certainly.

First, there are many cases of strange Parker serial numbers. After all, humans applied them and humans make mistakes.

Second, no sane person would go to such extremes making a 'fake' P-44 even if it was possible. We've seen a few cases where someone tried to copy a Fly or other Parker body, and it is never convincing. Yours looks perfect.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Ismyp44real

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
I found the 2002 parker catalog in this website called vintaxe I think?

Found the link: http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_main/catalogs_american_parker.php

The individual pages were pay per view, so all I got to do was zoom in on the pixelated previews of the pages. I was able to ascertain, for example, the difference in headstock (more recent ones seem to have a small horn on the bottom side of the head) as well as pickup and knob configuration

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 02:09:50 PM »
^ Well, that is interesting (but I'm not willing to pay for a full res view either!).

The odd thing is that the same model is not listed in the 2003 version there or the 2004 version (which used to be available on the Parker website). It only reappears in 2005, along with the slight change to the headstock.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Big Swifty

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:36:24 PM »

Second, no sane person would go to such extremes making a 'fake' P-44 even if it was possible. We've seen a few cases where someone tried to copy a Fly or other Parker body, and it is never convincing. Yours looks perfect.

Yeah, this was my first thought as well, although given the way Parkers in general are starting to go price-wise, it wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility that some may start trying to pass off cheaper versions of specific models as more expensive or rarer ones. Don't know exactly which ones, maybe some of the DF range, but if there's a cheap way to do it i'm sure someone out there will work it out!

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524