Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How new would you go?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline jb63

Re: How new would you go?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »
Sell the car and cancel the holidays!

heh.

Glad you like the refined model.
I really like them, but each is different and has its own history. You got one with the old headstock, too!
Just don't go crazy buying them and you can put 1000s of hours on that without even thinking you need a different one!

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
Whilst I am waiting for an elusive Artist to turn up on the market I have grabbed a 2005 Fly Classic in mint condition (only pick marks). I know it is not the pre-refined type you all seem to recommend, but the opportunity had to be seized: the guitar is a beauty. It also plays amazingly well - I cannot put it down. I used to love my Nitefly but in an instant, after 20 years, that love has gone. I cannot believe the difference between both models.

Congratulations on your purchase !  It reminds me of when I bought my first Parker (a '96 Classic).  It was such an upgrade from what I had previously (an Ibanez RG 550) that I played it constantly and hardly picked up the RG after that.  Unlike you though, I was a totally uninformed about Parkers and had no idea what I was buying, just knew I liked the way it looked.  Only years later did I discover the Parker forum and learned about what a cool guitar I had bought.

It's amazing to think that there was a time where you could go to a shop and compare models without spending any money!! How do you guys do to compare models without selling the car and cancelling the holidays?

That is a common dilemma !  I have only ever seen one Parker Fly in a music store here in LA.  I've always dreamed of walking into a showroom full of Parkers and being able to try out each one (Deluxe, Classic, Artist, Supreme, Bronze, etc...), but that aint gonna happen, so I've had to save up for each one over many years.  Now that I've been able to try most of my favorites, I'll probably sell a couple of them, and hopefully get my money back.  One thing I will say is that although they each have their own character, the tonal differences are not as dramatic as I had hoped.  The 4 pre-refined Flys sound quite similar to each other.  The one that stands out is the refined Artist which has completely different electronics. 

Enjoy your new guitar !
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Mr303

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »
Hot Dam.n!, you got a fine fun new guitar.

Be careful you won’t play anything else soon....

Ah owning and playing my Parker’s....

Once I bought my ‘97 Deluxe the other guitars are getting sold off and slowly thinned.

I’m not interested in run-of-the-mill guitars that weigh a ton and hurt my back without the playability of these marvels.

The “wall of guitars” at the local Guitar Center amuses me and doesn’t make me want to try out another back breaker.

Most people that play don’t have a clue about what a Parker is or what it means to the average player.( and I’m a very average player, trust me.)

The feel of these guitars isn’t duplicated by any other maker, some are close but never exactly as good.

Have fun with that new axe....
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 07:34:56 AM by Mr303 »
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
The “wall of guitars” at the local Guitar Center amuses me and doesn’t make me want to try out another back breaker.

So true, I find Gibsons and Fenders soooo boring. But occasionally I see something of interest on the interweb like Aristides Guitars which are also made from composites rather than wood.

http://aristidesinstruments.com/gallery

Can’t find anything about their weight though...Has anyone played one?
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »

It's an interesting website, I'd be interested to play one of those guitars.

But I must say, after all these years, I think the Fly still has the most interesting and attractive body shape of any guitar I've seen. 
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline Mr303

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »

It's an interesting website, I'd be interested to play one of those guitars.

But I must say, after all these years, I think the Fly still has the most interesting and attractive body shape of any guitar I've seen.

Those are interesting instruments to be certain, but yes what do they weigh?
I like the finish options and hardware.

That Fly horn is the only real drawback for some people, the Fly hardware I kinda sorta worry about is the ribbon cables failing at some point. 
The bridge pin problems haven’t surfaced on my ‘97 yet and probably won’t by now.

Parker guitars rule!
5:12 pm,Time for beer.
Skol, Ya’ll !!
"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
- Mark Twain

Offline Fantasiasoul

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
Thank you all for your replies - it's great to read and share the experience. Sound wise, I have "solved" my problem by simply putting on a pair of great headphones or play with the amp louder than before - simples. I have found a sound I really like and oh boy, do my fingers hurt now after playing so much :D.
2005 Fly Classic Cherry Red
1995 Nitefly NF3 (SSS) Black/White

Offline Mr303

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:24 AM »
I have found a sound I really like and oh boy, do my fingers hurt now after playing so much :D.

Welcome to owning a Parker! 
The fingers eventually muscle up and can take the extended playing the guitar requires(? ;D)
I love me some Parker guitars
Cheers!
- Mark Twain