Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help - Trying to identify an older Parker Fly, no serial #s  (Read 508 times)

Offline Orions Edge

Hi, new member here. I just purchased a Parker Fly guitar for the first time. Guitar collector for life, just been missing out on Parker until now. (bit late i know) I noticed instantly that there were no serial numbers to be found on the neck. After a few short mins on here, I was able to learn a lot, but I am still left with a few questions that I could not find answers to. Can someone help me figure out what model it is and what date (roughly) my guitar was manufactured? My Parker is a 4 knob hardtail with the Stereo/Mono switch, battery access door on the bottom, (not the back) and there is no truss rod access at the neck. (I read somewhere that this was only on very early Fly models, and truss rod access was added shortly after to all other models.) Not sure if that is correct or not.  Again, I know I sound very novice, but I wanted to come here, straight to the source for some accurate help, since I am not yet educated in the Parker model history very well, and this one seemed different than most pics/results that I have found. I would like to believe that I have found a truly unique early production Fly.  still learning my way around here, so hopefully this link to the photos will work.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

http://s349.photobucket.com/user/orionsedge/library/

Re: Need some help - Trying to identify an older Parker Fly, no serial #s

Offline sybersitizen

That appears to be a mostly conventional pre-refined Deluxe hardtail. Since the nut is black instead of white, it's not an early year - probably mid-late 90s. Usually when there's no serial number it means the instrument has been refinished.

I think the thing you mentioned about no truss rods in the early guitars is some kind of myth. The first year (1993) catalog includes this statement: 'An ingenious tension-compensating truss rod assures the neck's stability.' One guess is that that the truss rod access hole was filled during the presumed refinish. Weird for sure ... but it seems to address the facts.

I don't think you have a collector's item - just a nice looking Fly Deluxe.

(I must say photobucket makes for a very unpleasant viewing experience, with obnoxious ads intruding right, left, and center. I had to fight to get a decent look at all the photos, so might have missed something.)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Orions Edge

Thanks so much for the insight. and yes, photobucket is horrible. i just signed up to create the link, won't be using that anymore.  Again, I really appreciate it.  My reasonings about the truss rod came from seeing a 1990s Discovery Channel video why they went to the Parker shop and there is a part that states what I said about the early ones. They said they the salesmen were having a hard time selling a guitar without a truss rod adjustment, so they added them.  I really hate that there isn't a serial number. Some said possible old employee guitar, NAMM guitar, a simple manufacturing oversight and yes, the possible refinish.  i have spent hours going over it and cannot see any hints of a refinish at all. The Fly stamp is still present on the back of the neck as well.  Regardless, love this thing, so i just wanted to know all I can about it.  glad to join the Parker family and Thanks again for your time!

Offline sybersitizen

My reasonings about the truss rod came from seeing a 1990s Discovery Channel video why they went to the Parker shop and there is a part that states what I said about the early ones. They said they the salesmen were having a hard time selling a guitar without a truss rod adjustment, so they added them.

I think you've confused a couple of things. There was this old Discovery Channel video, but the truss rod is never mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR01zIjj4_w

Then there was this recent video from some guy, where he puts forward the idea (at the 6:45 mark) that early models had no truss rod. I'm not aware of any reliable authority who has ever said that, nor of anyone here who believes it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3MLqAdOUDA

And as I said, the 1993 catalog says the guitars had truss rods.

Besides, if there were any nugget of truth in the rodless hypothesis, I would expect any such early guitar to have a white nut.

I really hate that there isn't a serial number. Some said possible old employee guitar, NAMM guitar, a simple manufacturing oversight ...

Those are certainly possibilities. A further possibility is that the normal installation of the truss rod was somehow overlooked until the guitar was nearly completed - at which point Ken decided to just give it or sell it to an employee and not put any serial number on it. I suppose stranger things have happened.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Orions Edge

yep, you are correct. i mixed up the videos. ive watched so many my head is spinning. lol. thanks again for the info my friend.

Offline sybersitizen

It occurs to me that an x-ray could answer the truss rod question. Got a friend who's a dentist or an x-ray tech?

Offline Orions Edge

lol, good idea. honestly, they didn't say that there wasn't a truss rod, just no adjustment. And also, about the "white nut"...did these later original models come factory with the black graphtec nuts? i removed and reinstalled this one, as it was seeming to break free anyway soon, and it is branded Graphtec on the underside.

Offline sybersitizen

And also, about the "white nut"...did these later original models come factory with the black graphtec nuts?

Yes. The white nuts were used only in the very beginning.

Offline billy

Some of the confusion on the early truss rod is because they used a wire vs a rod. 

But, it looks like someone painted over your adjustment hole- I'm leaning towards a refinish or partial refinish. 

Hard to tell with the photobucket nonsense and pics, but it looks like there's a small divot where it would otherwise be, and a possible bit of paint "sag" at the top of the headstock. 

Can you post other pics?  If it was refinished, I could point out some things to look for with clearer pictures.  Of particular interest would be the headstock, the nut, and the edges of the neck, especially the fret markers.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline ChrisNB

Yes, there's definitely a truss-adjuster hole there, partly filled and painted. As I understand, all the pre-Refined models used the music-wire truss: significantly lighter than a conventional rod.
How is your neck relief?
Quite a bit of material would have been filed off the base of an original nut, to mate with the headstock angle, so I wouldn't expect a stamp to still be visible. I may be mistaken, but I thought that all the original hardtails came with a white (Bone or synthetic?) nut.