Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Early Nitefly with three-digit serial  (Read 542 times)

Offline thunderbird47

Early Nitefly with three-digit serial
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »
Hi, this is my first post here. Back in the 90s I worked for a Parker dealer and for a time I owned two Fly Deluxe models, but I let them go a long time ago. Last weekend I stumbled on a deal I couldn't pass up and bought a Telecaster and what appears to be an early Parker Nitefly. It is painted in a red/black burst and has the HSS pickup configuration. It's the original wiring that needs a stereo cable - no active mixer onboard. I'm trying learn as much as I can about this particular instrument, and also to find the right backplate and whammy bar to replace those missing parts. The serial number is "420 USA". First of all, this isn't the six-digit serial I would expect. Secondly, it doesn't sound like a random number. Does anyone know whether Parker made any custom numbered guitars? It doesn't seem like the company exists anymore. Is anyone aware of any other resource to learn more about this instrument?
Thanks - I will appreciate any help you can offer. It's fun to play a Parker again!

Re: Early Nitefly with three-digit serial

Offline billy

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 04:43:11 PM »
cool!  I don't know much about the nitefly but a few people will probably chime in with some good insight.  They did make customs. 

The company still exists in a manner of speaking but they are not currently producing anything, has no inventory, and not sure if there's even any dedicated staff.

As for the backplate, try ebay wiguitar or I think someone posted a good resource for getting one made. If you're so inclined, you can buy some abs sheet stock about 3/16" thick and diy.

For the whammy, does the bushing have a round or hex shape hole?  If round, you can probably get one to fit from a number of aftermarket places; if hex there is a guy on ebay making them- best to try a search and it should turn up.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline thunderbird47

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
Thanks. I think the whammy is round. There is what looks like a strat bar stuck in there now, but the threads don't screw into anythjng. I’ve seen Parker bars on Reverb, but are they all the same size, or do I need a certain bar for this year/model?

Offline billy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
if its hex shaped, they have the same "diameter" but the guy I mentioned sells some in different lengths.

If it's round, then you just need to match the diameter
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline jb63

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 05:21:53 PM »
I used an old threaded Strat bar on my '97 for almost 2 years! It worked like a charm. It had threads but the hole didn't, yet the sizing was snug. I think that was one of the great changes that the Nitefly offered was that round hole with the set screw. Wasn't it Tim Small in Ohio that was making some affordable different length bars? I remember buying some from him via his eBay account, but I don't see him on there now.

Offline sybersitizen

'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline thunderbird47

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 06:13:48 AM »
This is all really helpful - thanks. One more question, as I’m starting to take this guitar apart and clean it up. Was it common to have a handwritten date in the body cavity under the neck pickup? There’s also writing on the pots. Normal, or a sign it’s been tinkered with?