Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Parker Owner  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Mr303

Re: New Parker Owner
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »

My last tip for the piezo is to make sure the pre-amp gain on the guitar's power-chip is turned up so the piezo is about 120% of the mag volume. IMO this helps the acoustic sound punch through more and if it's too loud you can always roll off the piezo volume without degrading the sound, which obviously you can't do successfully with magnetic pups.

THIS!
Definitely THIS!

This does sound like sound advice (pun intended !!!)
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline axejock

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 03:57:35 PM »
OK, that all sounds good. I got my "new" Fishman Loudbox acoustic guitar amp with an included PA system in it today, and hooked the Parker up to it with the piezos only. Absolutely amazing sound...very clear, bright, and very close to actual acoustic sound! So, I guess I have it figured out. One problem came up though. While still hooked to the acoustic amp and with the magnetic pups completely shut off, I switched the selector switch to the mag position and got some scratchy noise during the switch movement, and then some "bleed-through" of the piezos while the switch was in the mags only position. Not cool. Do I have a bad switch, or could it just need cleaning from lack of use for a couple of years? More mystery.

Offline billy

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 04:41:13 PM »
Awesome, sounds like you have a great setup.

FYI One of the biggest complaints of the USM guitars is the switches.  They modified off the shelf switches based on size constraints, cost, and what was readily available- not the best solution.  Try a search here and see what you come up with.

Also wanted to add that you could try a TRS cable into a Y box/cable for splitting to two amps.  The longer Y cables are a bit crazy.

Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »
... I switched the selector switch to the mag position and got some scratchy noise during the switch movement, and then some "bleed-through" of the piezos while the switch was in the mags only position. Not cool. Do I have a bad switch, or could it just need cleaning from lack of use for a couple of years? More mystery.

Yep. I've had to fix, modify or replace every switch on my 2013 and 2015 Parkers. Thankfully it's an easy job, but one day I'll swap them all for something more robust.

To fix the bleed, you need to remove the switch and bend the contact tabs on either side of centre back to their intended position. Fiddly, but it works.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline axejock

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
Man, what is it with these switches. I've had more trouble with switches than any other component on any of my guitars, including several major brand names in the guitar business. I'll open up the back plate on the Parker and see if I can "bend the contacts" like suggested. If that doesn't work, is there any switch out there that is a decent replacement?
By the way, an old friend and long time Fender affectionado stopped by today and I let him play the Parker. I thought I was going to have to club him over the head to get him to give it back to me!! If I ever sell, he says he wants first chance....do all you Parker owners have experiences like that?

Offline ParkerPlayer

• - Luke
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 07:19:44 PM »
By the way, an old friend and long time Fender affectionado stopped by today and I let him play the Parker. I thought I was going to have to club him over the head to get him to give it back to me!! If I ever sell, he says he wants first chance....do all you Parker owners have experiences like that?

That's a great story, and I've heard many similar stories of guitarist discovering Parkers and being pleasantly surprised at how fun they are to play.  A friend of mine tried my '96 Classic and was not impressed at all, then I let him try my '08 hard tail Artist and he was over the moon about it.  Now he's on the hunt for one of those.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Majik Blue, Hard Tail
'96 Fly Classic, Transparent Red 
'98 Fly Classic, Transparent Red
'99 Fly Supreme, Honey
'09 Fly Artist, Custom Hard Tail

Offline axejock

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
OK, I've got the back cover plate off and am looking at the back of the 3-position, pick-up selector (piezo/mag) switch. I have not removed the switch from the guitar  yet but see some connections on the back that look fine and don't look like they need bending or adjustment. Do I need to remove the switch completely to get at some other connector lugs that may be bent? Boy, that guitar is electrically "busy" inside that "electronics bay". I sure hope my problem is just in this switch....I'm not that good at fixing electrical problems!

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »
It's not the lugs that connect to the wires that need fixing, it is the metal tabs that make up the mechanical part of the switch. You won't see them unless you remove the switch as they are facing towards the top of the guitar.

You don't need to unsolder anything to do this procedure:

When you pull the switch out, you will see there are four metal tabs that are "sandwiched" together with two small screws. One on the left and right, two in the middle. These are the switch contacts. If you move the switch from position to position you will see each of the left/right tabs make contact with the middle as the bottom of the switch (a small plastic piece) swings from side to side. The bleed happens when one of the tabs doesn't fully break contact with the central position when it is supposed to be off. You should be able to see which side is the problem.
To fix it, first visually identify which side is bleeding. Then remove the two screws holding the assembly together and then bend the offending metal tab a little further away from the central position. Reassemble, test it manually before you secure it back into the guitar. It's a fairly simple fix, but works well.

Or, you could just buy some new switches for about $12 each!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline axejock

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
Jaime: Thanks for that detailed procedure. I will follow your steps closely because I am a real klutz when doing these delicate things. But it should be something I can do. If I DO screw it up (which is entirely possible) is there an identical or similar switch I can find to replace the original? I really appreciate the help and the detailed response!

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
These are your switches (or very similar):
https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Metric_Toggle_Switch.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2018-06-gp&pref_currency=F&shipcalc=AUS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7qu-jqOx2wIV1jUrCh3Zbw5cEAQYCiABEgK8o_D_BwE

In the pic you can see the two screws holding the sandwich assembly together. The outer metal contact tabs are those hoop-shapes. Once you have it your hand it will be obvious.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline jb63

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
We should take pictures and pin this into the FAQ!
Thanks, Jamie for all the info!

Offline axejock

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2018, 10:11:50 PM »
Jaime: OK, I got the switch out of the guitar (very easy to do) and have examined the contact tabs that you described. It definitely appears that one contact tab is staying to close to the center contact when it should be cleanly away. This actually looks like something I can do, but I had to quit on it tonight because of other time demands. I'll finish it up tomorrow.
By the way, the Stew Mac switch that you showed is a "metric" switch (I assume this just applies to the screw threads used)....is that what was originally used on the Parker guitar? Thanks again for your great help on this matter!

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »
By the way, the Stew Mac switch that you showed is a "metric" switch (I assume this just applies to the screw threads used)....

Yes i that is referring to the thread (M12). You can see the spec further down the page which also has imperial measurements just to confuse everybody. It will come with its own M12 nut so it will be fine.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline axejock

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
Well, now I'm stumped. I checked the switch over very carefully under a magnifying lens and saw that the "gaps" at the contacts were approximately equal, and large enough to easily pass a piece of paper through when the switch was in the center position. The contacts appear to be "making and breaking" as they should and my multimeter says that everything is working right. Could something else be causing the tone bleed, or is there something in the switch that I cannot see that could be not working right? I thought I had it figured out, but I really don't think I could adjust it any better. Is it new switch time?

Offline axejock

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
Well, I guess this was a "false alarm". After I looked this switch over very carefully, I then took it all apart to look closely at the pieces. Every thing looked good, except a fairly sizeable piece of grit or some other matter fell out of the assembly when I took it apart. I didn't think much about it, so I did some very minor cleaning work and put it all back together, installed the switch back into the guitar, buttoned up the back plate and went to the amps to try it out. Everything works perfectly! I have no idea what the problem was, but suspect that grit was somehow interfering with the switch contact movement. Anyway, for now, all is good except that I got the switch installed at a rotational location that makes the toggle a little off. I'll live with it! Thanks again for all the information....I may have just lucked out, but I wouldn't even have tried without your suggestions.