Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Parker Owner  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Big Swifty

Re: New Parker Owner
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »

Maxifly would have sounded better to me.

Notes

:o

B.S.
94 Fly Deluxe
2010 DF 524
The system can't get you in your dreams.

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2018, 10:11:36 AM »
As some one who didn't know Parker guitars existed up until about a month ago, I was quite surprised to find out that the original series of guitars were called "Flys" at all, It seemed like a strange name for a guitar, <...snip...>

I believe it is because they are light in weight (but not lighweight in quality).

My DF522NN is my go-to gigging guitar. The P-Rails can sound like P90, Rail, Series Humbucker and Parallel Humbucker, and blending the piezo in gives me more sounds. It's like a Swiss Army Knife Guitar.

And the rest of the guitar makes it a joy to play, well balanced, comfortably contoured, great tuning stability, master volume placed where I can get at it quickly, great upper fret access, and a neck scale/radius that is just right for me.

Mine doesn't say MaxxFly on it, just Parker, and that's what I call it.

Big Swifty, Maxifly just rolls out of the mouth easier than Maxxfly, and eliminates the double xx which just looks over-the-top to me. But I don't really love that name either.

Naming it after some kind of fly is cute, my wife's Parker is a Hornet, I actually liked Dragonfly, TseTse Fly is no good because they bite, same for mosquitoes and sand flies (no-see-ums), but to tell the truth, as much as I am having fun with the name thing, DF is fine. It identifies the guitar and has no personality. Gibson SGs are like that.

It's too bad the general guitar playing market didn't discover Parkers. I guess Gibson/Fender and their offshoot brands had too much publicity, too many famous endorsements, and guitarists weren't curious enough to try these great guitars.

I think they were under-promoted. But then, it's difficult to break into a mature market that is already saturated.

Anyway, I'm glad I got two USA models before they went belly-up.

Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline axejock

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »
In a humorous vein, I wonder why they didn't consider "Super Fly". Wasn't there a movie made with that name?
And I fully agree with Notes.....I'm feel very fortunate to have literally "stumbled" onto this USA made DF 724! It's really in a class by itself. It's too bad that they aren't made anymore.

Offline billy

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
When Parker launched, guitars weighed a lot as a rule. The fly moniker really helped convey the much lighter weight, and works with the unique body shape.

The dragonfly fits in pretty nicely there yet stands slightly apart. Same for the hornet single cuts.

Maxx fly falls flat in that regard and frankly doesn’t even mean anything. It sounds like a golf ball.  Or a condom. 

Pretty tone deaf marketing imho.  It implies that what came before is “less than” without specifying what’s better. Not at all what I’d call creative or cohesive branding.

I’d still play them but glad I have a dragonfly all the same.
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline jb63

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
I'm sure Tsetse Fly and Deerfly were right out!

Offline axejock

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »
If I'm reading the Parker catalogues correctly, my 2011 model guitar was actually officially called a DF Radial Neck series. It does not mention the Maxx Fly moniker until the 2012 catalog came out. The 2012 seems to be identical to the 2010/2011 models but carried the Maxx Fly nomenclature in the catalogue. I wonder why they made the name change? Anyway, there is no mention of model anywhere on my guitar, only the Parker name at the tip of the tuning head.

Offline billy

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2018, 04:39:21 PM »
I'm sure Tsetse Fly and Deerfly were right out!

Lol I think those came up at the time
Billy

[always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.  e. e. cummings]

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
If I'm reading the Parker catalogues correctly, my 2011 model guitar was actually officially called a DF Radial Neck series. It does not mention the Maxx Fly moniker until the 2012 catalog came out. The 2012 seems to be identical to the 2010/2011 models but carried the Maxx Fly nomenclature in the catalogue. I wonder why they made the name change?

The DragonFly name had already been scrapped by 2010 and the MaxxFly name was already being used by Parker internally, on this forum, and (I think) on the website. The Radial Neck series was a general term for several models.

The 2010 catalog carries only the standard 'DF-whatever' model numbers because there was no time (or no inclination) to include the MaxxFly name in that year's catalog. It was of course included in the later catalogs.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
<...snip...>
Maxx fly falls flat in that regard and frankly doesn’t even mean anything. It sounds like a golf ball.  <...>
+1 on the Golf Ball reference.

Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline syncopa

1998 Fly Classic, FB4 Bass, P6E acoustic, DF522 FR Dragonfly

Offline axejock

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2018, 12:34:20 AM »
Gee, Syncopa, that looks like about 1/2 of my guitar collection! I had no idea I was dooming the Dragonfly (LOL)!

Offline axejock

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2018, 05:56:46 PM »
New question for you pros: I played my DF 724 (Maxx Fly?) last night with a shoulder strap for the first time since I bought the guitar. Hooking the strap to the upper horn seemed like I was hooking it to a very weak (maybe fragile) part of the guitar. This is probably due to my familiarity with Strats and the very different, light weight approach to the structure that Parker took on their whole guitar. Anyway, that upper horn looks great but seems thin, and very structurally "minimal" for use as the strap attach point. Is the horn fragile and something to treat lightly when handling/using the guitar? It is the most "minimal" upper horn that I have seen, but I have to assume that Parker checked this out and used strong wood together with the light weight of the guitar to assure structural integrity?

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
Provided you aren’t swinging it around your head by the horn, I’m sure it will be fine. I have both shapes (Fly and Maxxfly) and the Fly horn is even thinner at some points.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline Mr303

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2018, 04:26:37 PM »
Both my Fly’s have strap buttons on the back of the horn near the top from the factory, I think since it came that way it’s ok.  So do the 105 and 70, I just looked, like Jamie says no acrobatics and it should be good.
The horn is a good handle too since they are so light weight and with the CF being stronger than steel it’s fairly rugged by design.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:49:31 PM by Mr303 »
'94 Fly hard tail
'97 Fly Deluxe
'08 PM20 Pro 3x3 headstock
PDF 105
PDF 70 modded
and a few others that are boat anchors.
‘43 Epi Blackstone
Godin 5th ave p90

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2018, 05:00:42 PM »
The horn is a good handle too since they are so light weight and with the CF being stronger than steel it’s fairly rugged by design.

The OP's DF724 has no carbon anywhere. I suspect it would still take some good effort to break it.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Glen Burton GE47|Dean Vendetta 7-String|Loog 3-String|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers