Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Parker Owner  (Read 2569 times)

Offline JamieCrain

Re: New Parker Owner
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2018, 02:02:25 AM »
Good news. Well done for persisting.
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline axejock

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2018, 06:21:53 PM »
A couple of observations on my recent experiences with this Parker guitar: Once the bugs were worked out, I have found that I really like the sound of the piezos coming through the Fishman amp all by themselves, without the mags on. Personal taste, of course, but that sound is incredible! And one thing that surprised me for this "high end" guitar was the  "messy" wiring that I found inside the electronics bay. There were wires that were just hooked up with little attention to routing that would have improved appearance and prevented potential damage to the wires by adjacent hard components. Even most of the solder joints were quite amateur in appearance. Don't get me wrong, everything seems to work OK, but I would have expected to see actual wiring harnesses, wire ties/bundles used and neatly routed in this axe. I guess they used the "if not visible, it's not necessary to perfect it" approach. Maybe I have too high of expectations, and this minor observation does not detract from my appreciation of the guitar at all! Besides, I did my best to "clean up" the wiring in the bay, and now it looks a lot better.

Offline axejock

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2018, 01:20:40 AM »
By the way, is my DF 724 radial also called a Maxx Fly? I've had several folks ask me that!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »
By the way, is my DF 724 radial also called a Maxx Fly? I've had several folks ask me that!

Yes. You can see both names in the catalogs from 2012 and later.

As usual with Parker, the backstory is interesting.

The name 'DragonFly' (or Dragon Fly) was introduced in this forum in late 2008 to refer to the instrument that would debut in 2009 and become the precursor of all DF models. See this post from a Parker employee:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,8745.html

It seems that the name might have been taken from a suggestion about a month earlier by a forum member:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,8558.msg80024.html#msg80024

Or possibly going back even 18 months earlier:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,2418.msg42936.html#msg42936

In March 2009, the VP of Manufacturing started this thread confirming the name:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,9118.0.html

The model prefix for that line was accordingly designated as 'DF'.

However, not long afterwards the company discovered that Fernandes Guitars already owned the rights to the DragonFly name. The name was hastily changed to MaxxFly (yuck!), but the model prefix was left unchanged.

The DragonFly name never appeared in Parker catalogs (to my knowledge), though it does appear in the PDF of the 2009 price list. Apparently some instruments left the factory with a DragonFly logo emblazoned on the headstock:

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/index.php/topic,12191.html

So, there are some 'true' Parker DragonFlys out there ... but by the time yours was made, that name had faded into history and only MaxxFly remained.

(BTW, the original Spanish Fly and Fly Concert models without mag pickups also underwent a name change. They were later renamed Nylon Fly and Bronze Fly around the time 'refining' of the Fly series occurred.)
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline axejock

« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
Thank you Sybersytizen for the incredible explanation of how the Maxx Fly "brand" came to be. These Parker guitars are not only exceptional instruments, but have back stories and a knowledgeable "fan base" that is not only extremely interesting, but clearly show the devotion to the brand of the users and affectionados of the instruments. I don't think I've ever heard as much detail about Fender or Gibson as you folks have assembled here. And I don't care if my guitar is actually a Maxx Fly.....the model name doesn't bother me at all!   

Offline vjmanzo

• ~V.J.
    • vjmanzo.com
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »
Fantastic! The Maxxfly history with citations!!
Fly Mojo (2005), Fly Deluxe [w/Sustainiac] (2007), Fly Mojo [w/Sustainiac] (2008), Fly Concert (1997), Fly Classic (2003), Fly Deluxe (1997), Fly Artist (2010), Fly Bass FB-4 (2003) || More Info

Offline axejock

« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 10:32:11 PM »
I really don't mean to beat this to death, but I got a "Y" cable for the DF 724 today and hooked it up with the piezos to the acoustic (Fishman) amp and the mags to my small, Roland Cube amp. What an incredible system....this guitar is Really cool! I can play solo piezos, solo mags, or both together which allows tremendous sound control. I'm sure you folks here know all about this, but I've never had a guitar with this capability and other premium features before. I guess I've become a Parker convert!!

Offline jester700

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2018, 01:18:43 PM »
Thanks for the links, Syber! I own a real stamped "Dragonfly" DF724 in Blueburst flame. Love this guitar!

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2018, 09:21:02 AM »
I had a real Dragonfly but the body cracked. I sent it to Parker, they fixed it. After the warranty expired it cracked again. The Parker rep said this shouldn't happen, and the wood the body was made out of was the fault. So they replaced the guitar with a new one - no charge, no shipping. But it's a MaxxFly (yuck on the name but still a great guitar).

I liked the customer service so well, but I was missing P90 pickups, so I had Parker make a custom job for me.

Now I'm doubly happy.

Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline axejock

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
What's wrong with the "Maxx Fly" name? I know you folks have been around these guitars for a long time and may have an adversion to the use of this name for some reason? When I first heard it I thought it was named like a "super hero" (like a Marvel comic book hero) but there must be more to it than that. And I was going to nickname this guitar Maxx......!

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
What's wrong with the "Maxx Fly" name? When I first heard it I thought it was named like a "super hero" (like a Marvel comic book hero) ...

Right there is a pretty good explanation of why some of us don't like it. Comic book superhero connotations are not exactly on the positive side of the equation. (Actually, I didn't like DragonFly all that much either. I would prefer something more ... I dunno ... distinguished.)

In the end it really doesn't matter. The world will get used to the name. It worked for Stratocaster.
'01 Fly Deluxe|'69 SG Standard|'69 EB-3|Pignose Strat|Savannah SGO-16CE|Fishman Aura Spectrum|Roland Amplifiers

Offline Notes_Norton

• http://www.nortonmusic.com
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
What's wrong with the "Maxx Fly" name? I know you folks have been around these guitars for a long time and may have an adversion to the use of this name for some reason? When I first heard it I thought it was named like a "super hero" (like a Marvel comic book hero) but there must be more to it than that. And I was going to nickname this guitar Maxx......!
Perhaps because I liked Dragonfly.

Perhaps because I just like the sound of Maxx and Fly together.

Maxifly would have sounded better to me.

But I really love the guitars, so they could have called them almost anything.

Actually, DF is fine.

Notes
------------------

Bob "Notes" Norton

Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft Songsmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com the best duo in South FLorida

Offline JamieCrain

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
I have the 7 string MaxxFly, but I think of it as a "Parker".

Maxxfly sounds dumb and really cheap and I'm really glad it's not printed anywhere on the guitar.

I also have a new Nitefly, which is a much better name, though Syber has other thoughts about that!
Parker NiteFly RF622
Parker DFMV7
EB Music Man Majesty 6
Ibanez UV777BK

Offline sybersitizen

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2018, 07:33:11 PM »
I also have a new Nitefly, which is a much better name, though Syber has other thoughts about that!

Just to clarify for other readers ... the NiteFly name was fine for the original series that was created years ago. However, (IMO) the company should have come up with a different name for the very different series that was introduced more recently.

Offline axejock

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2018, 12:55:14 AM »
As some one who didn't know Parker guitars existed up until about a month ago, I was quite surprised to find out that the original series of guitars were called "Flys" at all, It seemed like a strange name for a guitar, but then I found out about Nite Flys, Dragon Flys, Maxx Flys and was even more "confused" by the choice of names. To me, my guitar is a DF 724 and that's fine with me. But I fully understand the positions on the naming of the guitars from year one that many of you remember....I would probably be a little upset by the random proliferation of names that were applied as the guitars went through the many changes that it has apparently seen.
That said, my DF 724 is rapidly becoming my "go to" guitar because of its versatility, ease of playing, and features that are just plain cool. I have been experimenting with stereo sounds from the guitar with the piezos going through the acoustic amp and the mags going through a regular amp. With the piezos set with a little chorus effect, and the mags set on the bridge humbucker and some reverb, flanger, and chorus set for those, each sounds great alone but when combined by the mid position of the selector switch, the sound blends into an amazing, stereo melodious treat for the ears! I'm sure that I have just scratched the surface on the possibilities of this set up, but one thing is for certain.....this is a GREAT guitar! Now if I could just re-develop my playing skills with the capabilities of the guitar, things would be wonderful. But I am certainly working on the skill part!